Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times

Advertisements

Nob Hill is probably a good suggestion, but it doesn't have too many places to live in buildings over two stories. The Place in Nob Hill and 110 Richmond are probably the highest you can find actually in Nob Hill. And both these places rise just three stories, so not too highrise.

Here are the websites for 110 Richmond and the Place in Nob Hill:

One Ten Richmond - A Center Street Properties LLC Development

The Place In Nob Hill

And here's info on another complex in the area that is apartments, but also low-rise:

Bricklight Courtyard Apartments - Albuquerque, NM 87106 | Apartments for Rent

EDo (East Downtown) is also a nice area and is more like Nob Hill than like downtown proper in my opinion. But it's mostly condos and lofts for sale to be found in this area. There are some apartments, but they aren't to be found in the mid-rise old school buildings or the new parking garages that were built with residential and retail surrounding them. Instead, they will be found in smaller buildings of about one or two stories. Because of that it's hard to pinpoint one to look at online.

Downtown Albuquerque proper is quite a bit rougher around the edges than either Nob Hill or EDo and that's often a deterrent for older people and families, especially at night. The nightlife and bar scene there is highly dominated by college-age kids and rowdy, even hooligan-types on the weekends. There are some more-refined options to be found, though, so don't be completely discouraged if you do have you heart set on it.

The Silver Lofts were mentioned and that area of Downtown Albuquerque (around 8th and Silver) is much more quiet and amenable to older people, I think. It's right next to the Flying Star Cafe, which is very popular and quite welcoming to more mature people. This area is also somewhat removed from downtown proper which helps it escape the noise and rowdiness of Central Avenue at night, but still within walking distance to the respectable daytime amenities and establishments found in Downtown Albuquerque.

But again, you have the problem of it being condos rather than apartments. Still, you can find apartments in smaller buildings in the area as well. But it's also not easy to do so online. You really have to walk around the neighborhood to find signs for rent, etc.

As others have said, you may be able to find a condo or loft in these areas for rent from a person who bought it from the developer, but I think most of them are going to be people who are renting them until they get a good offer to sell it. That means not knowing how long you will be able to live there.

Another area to consider might be Uptown Albuquerque. There's the Landmark Apartments and Uptown Square. Both of these are somewhat highrise at 10 and 7 stories respectively (as highrise as you will get anywhere for apartments in Albuquerque).

I see Uptown Albuquerque as being much more geared towards middle-aged people than Downtown Albuquerque. It also offers much more retail amenities than Downtown Albuquerque does currently.

The main drawback to Uptown is that it isn't very pedestrian oriented or too pedestrian friendly. But being in the middle of town and surrounded by so much retail makes it quite convenient as a place to live and walking to places is certainly doable there, even if quite a bit daunting.

Uptown also isn't very big for nightlife, but there are restaurants and such located in and around the area which offer something in that regard and which are much more geared towards families and more mature people than most in downtown.

Another, more low-rise (three stories) option in Uptown is the apartments located at the ABQ Uptown shopping center. They are literally next door to Trader Joe's and across the street from Target, which has a much more reasonably-priced grocery selection than Trader Joe's, along with all the rest that can be found at Target.

If I had to live in a place that wasn't conventionally urban I'd pick a place that was at least within walking distance of a Target or Walmart since you can buy most anything you need on a daily basis at both those places.

Here are links with information about each of the apartment places I mentioned in Uptown:

Welcome Home to The Landmark

Uptown Square Apartments

Albuquerque Uptown Village apartments in Albuquerque, NM

One more area to look at which is more downtown is the Sawmill area north of Old Town Albuquerque and northwest of downtown proper. This area has seen a lot of nice infill development in the last decade or so. It is mostly single family but there are some neat apartment complexes that have been built and still more which have recently broken ground.

This area isn't as established or filled with amenities as the other areas but being located very close and somewhat within walking distance of much of the amenities in Old Town Albuquerque means there's certainly stuff relatively close-by.

More amenities are being planned for the actual Sawmill development, including a craft brewery and restaurant.

There's also stuff close-by on the opposite side of I-40 from the area and just to the southeast at Mountain Road and 12th Street sits a nice little area with neat restaurants and such to be found. In fact, this area itself is pretty nice to live, but I don't see very many apartments or even homes to rent within this area online. I certainly don't know of any large apartment complexes, let alone a residential highrise in the vicinity.

Here is info about the current apartment complexes in the Sawmill neighborhood, none of which is very highrise, but they are more urban in design (with commercial spaces on the ground floor) than most new apartments you will find elsewhere in the city:

The Mix Apartments - Albuquerque, NM 87104 | Apartments for Rent

https://www.facebook.com/ArtisanAtSa...ation=timeline

Artisan at Sawmill Village-Albuquerque

Sawmill Lofts

The new ones planned and which have broken ground are going to be a little bit more highrise, but there's no telling for sure when they will be available to rent.

Last edited by ABQalex; 05-20-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 9,416 times
Hello everyone! This information about New Mexico is just what I too have been searching for! Yes, I want to know all of the negative and positive information because I really want to relocate to New Mexico but I have never done a "state relocation" before only a "city relocation". I plan to visit New Mexico and really take my time making a decision because I would be leaving Cleveland, Ohio with my son who is only 4 years old. I am willing to stay here in Ohio until I feel moving to New Mexico would be a smart move-however, I am tired of the flood of violence and other problems that make Cleveland almost unbearable. Fortunately, the city I relocated to in Ohio is bearable but the chances of one finding a marraige mate, earning a nice salary and experiencing the fine arts is almost slim to none. Therefore, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions-

Is small business development welcomed and encouraged throughout New Mexico?
Are there many Kingdom Halls for Jehovah's Witnesses?
Are there any amusement parks?
Are there services for children who are autistic?
How is the job market specifically for Spanish teachers?
Are the communities that surround NMSU nice?
**My son and I love the beach! Are there any nice beaches?
**I love Latin dance-are there many dance studios there?
How are the public school systems overall?

Old 05-27-2014, 09:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinanishel View Post
- This map shows Kingdom Halls near Albuquerque, NM, appears to be about ten of them: http://goo.gl/maps/COC6H

Quote:
New Mexico State University (NMSU) is a land-grant university based in Las Cruces, New Mexico, with Extension and Research centers at various locations. Las Cruces is about 225 miles from Albuqueruqe, so I am a bit confused about your intentions. You posted in the Albuquerque forum. These are the related Forum and Sub-Forums:

New Mexico

Albuquerque
Las Cruces
Santa Fe
Quote:
I love Latin dance-are there many dance studios there?
There are some dance studios in Albuquerque.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! This information about New Mexico is just what I too have been searching for! Yes, I want to know all of the negative and positive information because I really want to relocate to New Mexico but I have never done a "state relocation" before only a "city relocation". I plan to visit New Mexico and really take my time making a decision because I would be leaving Cleveland, Ohio with my son who is only 4 years old. I am willing to stay here in Ohio until I feel moving to New Mexico would be a smart move-however, I am tired of the flood of violence and other problems that make Cleveland almost unbearable. Fortunately, the city I relocated to in Ohio is bearable but the chances of one finding a marraige mate, earning a nice salary and experiencing the fine arts is almost slim to none. Therefore, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following questions-

Is small business development welcomed and encouraged throughout New Mexico?
Are there any amusement parks?
Are there services for children who are autistic?
How is the job market specifically for Spanish teachers?
**My son and I love the beach! Are there any nice beaches?
**I love Latin dance-are there many dance studios there?
How are the public school systems overall?
There are no real beaches in the Land of Enchantment since it is nowhere near an ocean.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Lol seriously? Beaches in NM?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Yes, beaches...

Beach | Define Beach at Dictionary.com
Beach
Quote:
noun
an expanse of sand or pebbles along a shore.
the part of the shore of an ocean, sea, large river, lake, etc., washed by the tide or waves.
the area adjacent to a seashore: We're vacationing at the beach.
This is a good overlook: New Mexico beaches « Beach Treasures and Treasure Beaches

Cochiti Lake is close to Albuquerque. About 48 miles from Albuquerque.

Abiquiu Lake is a bit further but some interesting scenery. About 130 miles from Albuquerque.

They are on our list to go back to just for a day trip...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-28-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 12:09 PM

87 posts, read 237,389 times
A co-worker had his daughter evaluated for autism and my impression was that he thought the services were excellent. My understanding is the services are good for autistic children and nonexistent for autistic adults.

Teachers here are paid pretty badly and treated worse but have great retirement and other benefits. The public schools are mostly pretty bad. Rio Rancho schools are okay but crowded. That's the only overall good school district I know of in NM besides Los Alamos. Of course there are good schools in Albuquerque, but the district isn't great overall.

If you're a woman, I would definitely not move to New Mexico to "find a marriage mate." I also don't love it for the fine arts, but I'm from the New York metro area so I'm a bit of a snob that way. We have one art museum and a ton of galleries. Santa Fe is better for the fine arts.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,965 times
I moved a little over a year ago and I suggest you come out here and really look at your housing options. I also looked into the downtown living thing here and I was not impressed. I actually avoid the downtown scene and live in the NE Heights. If you're thinking that you'll find a Sundance Square here, you're way way off. This can be a great place to live, but coming from someone who lived in Uptown Dallas across from the Ritz Carlton and in Chicago's Gold Coast, there really aren't luxury apartments in this city. Albuquerque is trying to revitalize the downtown area, but it will take time. Maybe you can be an "urban pioneer" here? Good luck!!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynandrandy View Post
We are planning a move to Albuquerque, New Mexico in 2014. It will probably be the middle of the year like in June but most likely July or August. We have our home in Fort Worth Texas we have to sell first, then we will be ready to take the leap! We are considered by our ages of 55 and 59 senior citizens.

No way .. You folks are still young yet, middle aged, but definitely NOT senior citizens.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-30-2014 at 07:57 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,416 times
Smile Thank you so much Poncho!

The information you supplied is excellent and I am going to follow up on everything-take care and God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque