Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
They are available to the public on the city's website. The numbers are indeed going down.
https://www.cabq.gov/police/crime-mapping-statistics

The above link for 2018 says: "Disclaimer: these numbers are subject to change."
Quote:
Below are all the jobs announcements that I can recall over the last year which have received coverage in the local media.
This is fine but this alone is a drop in the bucket, it's not going to improve the day-to-day economic situation for most of the local residents. These numbers need to be multiplied by 50x to make an impact. And we need to put the Sandia jobs in their own category - they don't typically filter down to the average person in NM because they're federal jobs, they require clearances, and those postings are open to everybody across the country, a lot of those jobs are filled by people from out-of-state.
So, ignore the Sandia jobs, the state needs a lot more private-sector tech companies opening up shop. 150 job openings at Facebook? This is a pittance. Needs to be multiplied by 20x, 30x and filling 95% of those from local resident population.

Quote:
The NBCUniversal jobs themselves will have an average salary of $60,000, which is very well-paying in Albuquerque.
What percentage of these jobs will be filled by local NM natives instead of people from out-of-state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:18 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
[/url]

What percentage of these jobs will be filled by local NM natives instead of people from out-of-state?
Probably a little of Column A, a little of Column B. The pool of trained film crew in NM has grown by leaps and bounds over the last decade or so, and I expect they'll be under some pressure to hire from that group. There are film programs at both UNM and CNM that churn out a lot of qualified folks. But no doubt others will be coming in from elsewhere.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it matters too much. Job and population growth requires both increasing the prosperity of "locals" and bringing talent - and residents - in from outside. You don't want to push long-term residents out - like what has happened so much in the Bay Area, for instance - but you also want to be able to attract qualified, talented outsiders.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,132 times
Quote:
[/url]
The above link for 2018 says: "Disclaimer: these numbers are subject to change."

This is fine but this alone is a drop in the bucket, it's not going to improve the day-to-day economic situation for most of the local residents. These numbers need to be multiplied by 50x to make an impact. And we need to put the Sandia jobs in their own category - they don't typically filter down to the average person in NM because they're federal jobs, they require clearances, and those postings are open to everybody across the country, a lot of those jobs are filled by people from out-of-state.
So, ignore the Sandia jobs, the state needs a lot more private-sector tech companies opening up shop. 150 job openings at Facebook? This is a pittance. Needs to be multiplied by 20x, 30x and filling 95% of those from local resident population.

The subject to change bit is because cases and circumstances may change once fully investigated. Cases for a given period also may emerge after the fact. However, the amounts of cases aren't going to change much. Furthermore, the numbers in the FBI reports for all cities over all years are subject to change for the same reasons.

You make absurd statements regarding the job growth that is occurring in Albuquerque right now. You have no idea how many of these jobs are going to be filled by locals. And you place undue requirements on Albuquerque to achieve success in economic development. No other successful city in the country such as Nashville, with thousands of jobs being created, is being measured by how many jobs are being filled by locals instead of bringing transplants. Instead, people are praising it as a place that people want to relocate for jobs. And Nashville has a problem with crime as well. Sandia National Labs specifically stated they are going to work with colleges and universities in the state to fill these jobs. So again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
On the other hand, I'm not sure it matters too much.
It definitely matters. Filling jobs with people from out of state only helps the people from out of state, it doesn't help locals. People like to think there's a trickle-down effect on the local economy, but there isn't. In fact the opposite - housing prices go up and the locals can't afford property anymore because they didn't get hired for the new jobs.
Quote:
You make absurd statements regarding the job growth that is occurring in Albuquerque right now. You have no idea how many of these jobs are going to be filled by locals.
Indeed, this is the crucial question. I would like very much to know. The success of an economy, whether Nashville or Albuquerque, definitely needs to be measured by how many of those jobs are being filled by locals.
Quote:
Sandia National Labs specifically stated they are going to work with colleges and universities in the state to fill these jobs. So again, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Sandia always says that. And indeed they do fill some jobs with locals. But what percentage is it?

Last edited by 80skeys; 06-19-2019 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 12:30 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,713 times
Quote:
It definitely matters. Filling jobs with people from out of state only helps the people from out of state, it doesn't help locals. People like to think there's a trickle-down effect on the local economy, but there isn't. In fact the opposite - housing prices go up and the locals can't afford property anymore because they didn't get hired for the new jobs.
But it's always going to be a mix, isn't it? Well-paying jobs will always attract both qualified locals and people from outside. And if you're a city or state that wants to grow, you need to have both, don't you? The vast, vast majority of people in Albuquerque come from "people from out of state" at some point, whether that point was the 1880s, the 40s, the 80s, the 2000s, or 1696. Without them, Albuquerque would have no economy and a population of less than 30k, just like it did in the 30s.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Indeed, this is the crucial question. I would like very much to know. The success of an economy, whether Nashville or Albuquerque, definitely needs to be measured by how many of those jobs are being filled by locals.

Sandia always says that. And indeed they do fill some jobs with locals. But what percentage is it?
38 percent of the people that Sandia employs right now graduated from New Mexico colleges and universities. However, that includes the 2,000 people that the lab employs in California, so the percentage among the Albuquerque workforce is likely higher. There is also likely many people working for the labs who are native to New Mexico but went to schools outside the state. Below are quotes from the Albuquerque Journal article about Sandia's expansion with pertinent facts.

Quote:
Of the lab’s 13,000 employees, including about 2,000 in California, 38% are graduates of New Mexico schools, Aeilts said. That represents an 86% increase in locally educated lab employees over the past five years.
Quote:
It’s also employing a record 500 student interns this summer, 60% of them from New Mexico schools.
The biggest knock against Albuquerque in recent years in terms of its economy was that it wasn't creating jobs to keep young people here or attract newcomers. Numerous articles were written about the city and state's demise because we weren't attracting newcomers and our population wasn't growing from domestic migration. People made hay about this "exodus" and how Albuquerque was losing its young people to places like Denver.

Now that the city is actually creating jobs at a great rate and back to growing its population with net increase from domestic migration people are still finding ways to poo poo and trash the city and act like its economic growth isn't good enough or somehow not the right kind.

Find me any other city in the country that wouldn't be lavished with praise and lauded for creating these kinds of jobs in these numbers or for having lured nearly $4 billion in direct private investment recently. Yet Albuquerque still manages to be trashed as having a bad economy with no jobs. Now the narrative is that the jobs being created aren't attainable for locals.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
38 percent of the people that Sandia employs right now graduated from New Mexico colleges and universities.
Where are you getting this statistic from?
Quote:
Now that the city is actually creating jobs at a great rate and back to growing its population with net increase from domestic migration people are still finding ways to poo poo and trash the city and act like its economic growth isn't good enough or somehow not the right kind.
Ok, let's assume the economy is doing well. So how and where is this showing up in the quality of life among NM natives and especially it's young people?

Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting this statistic from?

Ok, let's assume the economy is doing well. So how and where is this showing up in the quality of life among NM natives and especially it's young people?
I quoted and named the article where I got the statistic from, it's the Albuquerque Journal article from earlier this month about Sandia's expansion. I linked to it in one of my earlier posts.

Life is improving for locals and young people as evidenced by lower rates of poverty, higher incomes, more jobs, more economic growth and more amenities.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I quoted and named the article where I got the statistic from, it's the Albuquerque Journal article from earlier this month about Sandia's expansion. I linked to it in one of my earlier posts.
I'll try to find it, but you didn't link to it in the post I quoted.

[quote]

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-21-2019 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: last sentence not related to the thread title

Old 06-20-2019, 02:13 PM

I have 2 adult nephews, one 21 and the other 25. One works in construction, which is one of the brightest job markets in the city and state right now. The other works at a restaurant while going to CNM. Restaurants are flourishing right now in Albuquerque. One of my nieces just got a new job in retail at the new Hobby Lobby that opened in the South Valley at Las Estancias.

Mass retail establishments are actually opening left and right in Albuquerque right now, even though small, local establishments might be struggling, but that's a national phenomenon and trend right now.

In the last two years or so new names like The Container Store, Nordstrom Rack, Cabela's, AtHome, Soft Surroundings, Kendra Scott, etc. have opened. And existing places like Hobby Lobby, Ross, Burlington, Family Dollar, etc. have added new locations. There are plenty of opportunities in retail that have opened up recently for kids just getting started or needing a part-time job while going to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque