Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,560 times

Advertisements

Is there some reason speed limit signs are prominently posted around the city, because they seem to be nothing more than suggested speeds--very few drivers observe the actual posted speed, it's more likely to see them whiz by at 10-15 over that speed.
I've actually seen drivers pass patrol cars that were going the posted speed, but they were not pulled over.
This is one of the most dangerous cities for drivers, and I've lived in some of the biggest ones in this country such as DC, San Francisco, San Antonio, etc. and even those weren't nearly as dangerous on the roads most likely because people would be ticketed when driving significantly above the posted speed limit.
I understand that the local police department is understaffed with patrol officers, but even so the ones on the streets could offer a show of interest by setting up occasional radar around town.
Over the past week I've seen 5 vehicles on the west side of town that had no license plate, no paper plate from a used car lot or dealership, nothing to visually indicate these were validly registered vehicles.
This is clearly a dangerous city, and getting more dangerous by the week rather than safer. If I had the decision to make again, I wouldn't have relocated here several years ago, but I don't intend to stay and subject myself to the rampant aggressive drivers and road speeders, limitless number of people committing crimes during the day and night, and basically a gang infested haven. I don't feel safe here at any time, even in my home that happens to be a presumably safe neighborhood. Several homes in my area have been broken into and vandalized this month, and all of these incidents occurred around mid day.
I now understand the reason more people are moving out of this city and state than are moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 04:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Having been on the receiving end of a speeding ticket (and playing host multiple times to a speed trap in my front yard, not by choice), I can say that there's plenty of enforcement (perhaps too much) in certain areas.

This is the time of year where all the young invincibles get in their s@#$boxes or daddy-bought-sports cars and drive like jerks instead of spending time in classrooms. I was probably one of them way back when. Luckily, the school zones are about to let up, so that's a net trade I'll take.

Recommend you call in a complaint to the city's 311 number if there's a specific stretch or intersection rife with bad drivers. Coors between Central & I-40 always qualifies whenever I drive it.

If you hate the west side's drivers (I know I'm not a fan) then move to the older side of town. We have less of them.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,363 times
Once again negative negative.......with 3 posts!
Considering you re-located from Tucson, which has a higher crime rate and just as bad if not worse drivers. If you are looking for a utopia good luck finding it, sometimes a persons attitude has a huge impact on whether they are happy or not........no matter where you live!
Good luck in finding that utopia.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:18 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,379 times
1) Both violent crime and property crime have been on a generally downward trend for many years. http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ew-Mexico.html

2) Albuquerque's 'fatal crash rate' of 7.4 per 100,000 population is below the US average of 10.4 and is the lowest among 5 of Albuquerque's peer cities (includes Tucson, El Paso, Salt Lake, Colorado Springs). This is also an improvement from past years.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
Someone please point me to the city that has GOOD drivers.

My guess is that city's mayor is probably the Tooth Fairy.

Sorry, but no sympathy here. I've lived in lots of cities with MUCH worse drivers than what I encounter here.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 PM

265 posts, read 809,024 times
Dude, I lived in Houston for 24 years ... Need I say more? Okay then: over 6 million people, unbelievable traffic congestion sprawled over 650 square miles (Houston could contain the cities of New York, Washington, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Minneapolis and Miami combined) and leads the U.S. in road rage incidents?

Now THAT is a city with dangerous drivers. Albuquerque doesn't even compare! And I find it hard to imagine that anyone who's driven in a real big city would complain about ABQ drivers ... But I've heard things are different over on the west side, maybe that's it?

Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
Well, there IS is a small section on the west side where the impatient, aggressive drivers seem to congregate. Still, I don't think even those folks are as bad as drivers I encountered in Dallas, Houston, Miami, Atlanta, Tampa…..

Old 05-18-2015, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
We just returned from a short vacation in New Mexico after this last winter in New Hampshire where we live. We spend most of the time day tripping out of T or C. We then spent a few days in Albuquerque driving around to museums, Sadie's and other restaurants and other places on the city streets. We even took the train to Santa Fe and back.

My impressions of the Albuquerque driving experience was how very relaxing. Low traffic volume combined with really wide streets and properly timed traffic lights was very low key. Even Central Ave. was no big deal. I found myself driving about the speed limit in most places without having to think about it. The road through Corrales was a bit crowded but nothing compared to back home.

If I had been driving like I do around home it would have been like being a shark in a guppy tank.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 AM

42 posts, read 72,340 times
There was a story on Action 7 News tonight that said there are only 13 (!!!!) speed enforcement officers employed by APD. 13 officers for a nearly 600,000 person city. The posted speed on Coors is 45, but between I-40 and Irving or even Ellison most everyone (myself included, I confess) drives at least 60 in non-rush hour times.

That being said, I don't generally think ABQ drivers are bad drivers in relation to any other city I've spent extensive amounts of time in (Denver, New York, San Diego, etc.). I think people tend to be more cautious during high traffic volume hours. Even in the heights on busier streets like Wyoming I feel like the added volume tempers the "bad driving," and it isn't so bad. You get real idiots of course, people weaving in and out of traffic, crotch rockets passing cars on bike lanes, but I think those are the exception more so than the rule for ABQ drivers.

As far as general crime is concerned... I really think people over exaggerate the level of crime in this city. I don't understand how people don't "feel safe" here. I would feel comfortable walking alone at night in most areas of the city.

Last edited by nmboltsfan; 05-21-2015 at 12:22 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 02:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
Interesting read here in Time Magazine on this subject. The article itself is pretty low on information, but lots of good info in the comments.

Albuquerque Really Is Like 'Breaking Bad' | TIME.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque