Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 AM

20 posts, read 29,914 times

Advertisements

I've already spent some time in the southwest on the Navajo reservation (AZ) near the four corners area. I worked there as a hotshot (seasonal wild land firefighter). Recently I accepted a promotion and will be returning to the area soon. Once the fire season is over, I'd like to stick around the SW area..... As much as I love my Navajo friends in Arizona, Id rather not live there during the off season. For some reason I had my heart set on Tucson AZ and completely forgot about NM. Albequerque is only a mere 2 and 1/2 hours away from the Rez. I think it'd be perfect. I'm sold on the cheap housing, low cost of living, weather, outdoor activities, and food. I'm debating whether I should buy or rent....I'll have a savings of about 30k by the time I move there. either way, If I was to type in desired areas on craigslist or zillow what areas should I look into? Keep in mind I'm single, 26, open minded, love adobe styled houses or "funky".... one may even say "hipster" areas. Safety isn't too big a concern (I live in New orleans after all). I know I can't have it all but I wouldn't mind living close to a park/hiking trail. On the opposite end Im comfortable living close to down town or a "bar area"

one last question...
Ill be driving through on my way from New Orleans this March. I'll have a day or 2 to spend in Albuquerque. Any suggestions on where I should spend my time? I want to convince myself to move there! lol, again I'm very open minded.

Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM

150 posts, read 254,205 times
Cool background! You seem a person who would like Albuquerque a lot.

Funky/hip urban in Albuquerque is best represented along Central Avenue between UNM and Carlisle Blvd., and Central Avenue east of downtown (between Broadway and I-25). House prices and neighborhoods very dramatically along the Central Avenue corridor, but your open-mindedness, urban resilience, and lack of kids gives you lots of flexibility.

If you can qualify for a purchase price around $150,000, my favorite neighborhood recommendation for you would be the neighborhood between Zuni (just south of Central Avenue) and Gibson just west of San Mateo Blvd. It's a very charming and pleasant neighborhood with lots of young people and pueblo-style homes, and it's biking distance from all the cool stuff on Central Avenue west of Carlisle. It's cheaper than other nice-looking areas closer to the university because it's a buffer zone between the fancier Ridgecrest neighborhood and the rougher International District east of San Mateo Blvd.

If your budget is lower (say $100k), you could venture east of San Mateo Blvd., which has a bad reputation for crime and poor schools and therefore is considerably cheaper, but it's nothing compared to what you would encounter in a rougher part of New Orleans, especially if you stick to pleasant-looking streets of single-family homes.

For a more rustic funky vibe and you don't mind being relatively car dependent, you might also check out North Valley, which is between the Rio Grande and I-25, north of I-40. There is an awesome trail that runs along the length of the Rio Grande.

Finally, I would check out the less in-demand parts of the Northeast Heights (closest to I-40), where you can find tons of very cheap 1950s homes (including lots of pueblo-style houses around $120k) in somewhat boring but perfectly decent neighborhoods that are a short drive to anywhere in Albuquerque, including all the hiking trails in the East Mountains.

Enjoy your visit!

Last edited by Abraxas; 11-28-2015 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 04:51 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,515,940 times
Abraxas would your advice hold for a retired couple who lean towards charming pueblo style smaller homes, even funky, compared to the burbs? We have friends who live in a small 40's era Abq. house that I love! We could go in the $350 range if necessary. Sorry Michigan 2012 don't mean to hijack but we are really 30 being held captive in aging bodies lol Hope you find something you sound like a perfect fit it.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:14 PM

150 posts, read 254,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Abraxas would your advice hold for a retired couple who lean towards charming pueblo style smaller homes, even funky, compared to the burbs? We have friends who live in a small 40's era Abq. house that I love! We could go in the $350 range if necessary.
You all sound awesome as well! At your price point, you don't need to look on the fringes of the most in-demand neighborhoods -- you can go straight for the most charming and appealing areas with lots of pueblo homes like Nob Hill and Ridgecrest, starting around $200k.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,515,940 times
Thanks, old but awesome has a nice ring to it Have written down areas you mentioned for further investigation.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Abraxas would your advice hold for a retired couple who lean towards charming pueblo style smaller homes, even funky, compared to the burbs? We have friends who live in a small 40's era Abq. house that I love! We could go in the $350 range if necessary. Sorry Michigan 2012 don't mean to hijack but we are really 30 being held captive in aging bodies lol Hope you find something you sound like a perfect fit it.
Hey, by all means.... Id be selfish if I didn't want anyone else to benefit from my question. Thanks Abraxas for the info!

Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,457,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Cool background! You seem a person who would like Albuquerque a lot.

Funky/hip urban in Albuquerque is best represented along Central Avenue between UNM and Carlisle Blvd., and Central Avenue east of downtown (between Broadway and I-25). House prices and neighborhoods very dramatically along the Central Avenue corridor, but your open-mindedness, urban resilience, and lack of kids gives you lots of flexibility.

If you can qualify for a purchase price around $150,000, my favorite neighborhood recommendation for you would be the neighborhood between Zuni (just south of Central Avenue) and Gibson just west of San Mateo Blvd. It's a very charming and pleasant neighborhood with lots of young people and pueblo-style homes, and it's biking distance from all the cool stuff on Central Avenue west of Carlisle. It's cheaper than other nice-looking areas closer to the university because it's a buffer zone between the fancier Ridgecrest neighborhood and the rougher International District east of San Mateo Blvd.

If your budget is lower (say $100k), you could venture east of San Mateo Blvd., which has a bad reputation for crime and poor schools and therefore is considerably cheaper, but it's nothing compared to what you would encounter in a rougher part of New Orleans, especially if you stick to pleasant-looking streets of single-family homes.
Rather than heading east of San Mateo, you could also check out Barelas or the Sawmill, Reynolds Addition or Wells Park neighborhoods, closer to the heart of Albuquerque. Denser, older homes, more southwestern style, and a lot closer to places with things going on, like our nascent brewery district, downtown, or the west downtown/Old Town area.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,352,234 times
I have to agree w/ the crime. I'm from the New Orleans area, and used to live in Albuquerque. The crime is in another league in N.O. Read the paper online sometime and you'll understand.

I really like New Orleans, and we had a great week a few years ago when we vacationed there, but the very first day I saw what was going on and told the wife I would never want to live there again. She was fascinated w/ the city, but it just isn't safe to me. It wasn't safe when I lived there before either, so it isn't as if anything has changed. The bad parts of Albuquerque are pretty apparent. Two or three blocks from the French Quarter, you could quickly get in serious trouble in the wrong circumstances.

If I moved to Albuquerque, it would probably be in the Northeast Heights area. Bland, but safe. Downtown is spotty, but in the right area it would work. Like a lot of cities, once you're downtown, a few blocks will be fine, then things will get strange, then get OK again.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I have to agree w/ the crime. I'm from the New Orleans area, and used to live in Albuquerque. The crime is in another league in N.O. Read the paper online sometime and you'll understand.

I really like New Orleans, and we had a great week a few years ago when we vacationed there, but the very first day I saw what was going on and told the wife I would never want to live there again. She was fascinated w/ the city, but it just isn't safe to me. It wasn't safe when I lived there before either, so it isn't as if anything has changed. The bad parts of Albuquerque are pretty apparent. Two or three blocks from the French Quarter, you could quickly get in serious trouble in the wrong circumstances.

If I moved to Albuquerque, it would probably be in the Northeast Heights area. Bland, but safe. Downtown is spotty, but in the right area it would work. Like a lot of cities, once you're downtown, a few blocks will be fine, then things will get strange, then get OK again.
As much as I love New Orleans there just really isn't a safe area to live with in the Parish itself. its just checkerboarded with rough areas. 3 Million dollar homes are blocks away from projects and govt housing. 6 robberies with in 24 hours the other day....considering New Orleans is pretty small that's a lot of robberies in 1 day! the shootings have been more frequent as well. It's not South side Chicago but it's rough! So, Ill be driving through Albuquerque in March. I have 2 days to spend there....any suggestions?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:17 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,915,469 times
Drive north on Tramway Road from IH40 north to IH25, includes an incredible view of the valley, and you'll be going through a reservation. Continue under IH25, the road turns south and become 4th Street NW, go to Alameda. Turn right, west, and go to Corrales Rd. Turn right, go north through Corrales until you hit 528. Turn left, south, and go through Rio Rancho. You will see a lot of places that are in the daily lives of residents. Continue east on Alameda, until Rio Grande Blvd., turn right, south. Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, then the North Valley, then Old Town, you are parallel to the river. Do Old Town, eat there, walk around. Continue east on Central to downtown, then to the University, this is Route 66 through the city. Continue to Wyoming Blvd. Turning right, south, takes you to the gate of the air force base. Turn around and go north on Wyoming to Paseo del Norte, you'll see the best of suburban ABQ past Spain Rd. Turn right, east, to go back to the mountain and Tramway Blvd., or turn west back to IH25.

That's the tour, will take the morning and early afternoon. Stop anywhere along the way... hope that you like the color brown.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 12-20-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque