Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 36,150 times

Advertisements

My job has an office in Albuquerque, where I can transfer to. I currently live in Los Angeles, I pay $1775.00 a month for a 860sq ft 2bd room apartment (which I share with my mother and daughter), in a somewhat crime ridden neighborhood near LAX, If I want to have a better lifestyle, I can move to a different part of town, and rent a studio or maybe a 1 bedroom for the same price. I've done some research on the net, and I keep seeing statistics that ABQ is a horrible place to live in. The reason I came on here is to hear some feedback and opinions from people that actually live in Abq, and not from statistics. Is it really that bad to live here?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:42 AM

366 posts, read 869,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRFR View Post
. Is it really that bad to live here?
No.

Maybe if you don't have a job or are working min wage it surely sucks. Not sure if your wage will transfer, but at that price you are talking about renting the nicest houses in the nicest neighborhoods. For maybe $1300 you can rent a 2000+ sq/ft 3+ bedroom house in a nice area.

It also depends on what you want. You won't get direct flights everywhere, try the best restaurants, go see professional sports, for the most part you won't see shows, concerts, be around celebrities or extremely wealthy people, you won't live in an area that has the amenities supporting millions and millions of people. If you need those things ABQ won't work for you.

I think it probably comes down to the outdoors and the culture. You could spend every weekend going to see places around NM and be active in the outdoors. Instead of the big things LA has we have lots of smaller (some larger) culture events. Between ABQ and Santa Fe there are probably few weekends that go by that there isn't something interesting happening. If you find the cultural events lame and don't do the outdoors you will get bored.

Crime can suck if it happens to you, but you shouldn't have much issue at what it sounds like your price range would be and it probably a lot better compared to your current situation.

You shouldn't have a commute longer than 30 minutes, and depending on your office and location probably a lot less (more time to be bored).

If you want people to care about your status or go around to 'be seen' you will be disappointed, no one will care. This also applies to business. The major complaint is life just happens slower here, not has much rushing. Sounds great, but if you are a go getter it might feel frustrating. The easiest example is our legislators are only in regular session 90 days for every 2 years.

The entire state of NM supports 2 million people, I don't know how you even try to compare that to LA.

Depends on what you want out of your life and what you want to do with all the free time you will suddenly have.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRFR View Post
I've done some research on the net, and I keep seeing statistics that ABQ is a horrible place to live in. The reason I came on here is to hear some feedback and opinions from people that actually live in Abq, and not from statistics. Is it really that bad to live here?
My first visit to the ABQ area was in the late 60's. My wife and I have lived continuously in the ABQ area since 1998/99. We currently live in Rio Rancho. We have children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in this area. We are now retired in this area. We currently have no plans on moving.

I am sure that some people think "ABQ is a horrible place to live in". That can be said about every location.

You really need to come visit out here if have not already done so.

I also agree with ralthor's post above.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-09-2017 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 10:38 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
I'm originally an East Coaster but have lived in ABQ most of my life, by choice. Los Angeles would be my idea of a horrible place to live. But if you are adjusted to life in LA, it can be hard to get used to living somewhere else, and a place like NM might seem "backward" to you.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times
I am packing to move to Albuquerque right now, leaving the L.A. area after 30 years. I spent the better part of a year researching ABQ and other cities with reasonable costs of living. Nothing made me think Albuquerque might be "horrible" or anything approaching it. (What a strange thing to say.) I'd suggest the OP spend some serious time reading the threads here -- the good and the bad are both easily found.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I'd suggest the OP spend some serious time reading the threads here -- the good and the bad are both easily found.
It's been my experience that people with negative experiences are far more likely to express their displeasure than are people lauding their positive ones. IOWs, there can appear to be a strong bias when researching any locale on these forums.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
No.

Maybe if you don't have a job or are working min wage it surely sucks. Not sure if your wage will transfer, but at that price you are talking about renting the nicest houses in the nicest neighborhoods. For maybe $1300 you can rent a 2000+ sq/ft 3+ bedroom house in a nice area.

It also depends on what you want. You won't get direct flights everywhere, try the best restaurants, go see professional sports, for the most part you won't see shows, concerts, be around celebrities or extremely wealthy people, you won't live in an area that has the amenities supporting millions and millions of people. If you need those things ABQ won't work for you.

I think it probably comes down to the outdoors and the culture. You could spend every weekend going to see places around NM and be active in the outdoors. Instead of the big things LA has we have lots of smaller (some larger) culture events. Between ABQ and Santa Fe there are probably few weekends that go by that there isn't something interesting happening. If you find the cultural events lame and don't do the outdoors you will get bored.

Crime can suck if it happens to you, but you shouldn't have much issue at what it sounds like your price range would be and it probably a lot better compared to your current situation.

You shouldn't have a commute longer than 30 minutes, and depending on your office and location probably a lot less (more time to be bored).

If you want people to care about your status or go around to 'be seen' you will be disappointed, no one will care. This also applies to business. The major complaint is life just happens slower here, not has much rushing. Sounds great, but if you are a go getter it might feel frustrating. The easiest example is our legislators are only in regular session 90 days for every 2 years.

The entire state of NM supports 2 million people, I don't know how you even try to compare that to LA.

Depends on what you want out of your life and what you want to do with all the free time you will suddenly have.

LOL, I moved to LA about 3 years ago, before that I live for 17years in a place called Gila Bend Arizona, my nearest neighbor was 11 miles away. So I'm not really looking for any of the stuff you mentioned. I'm looking for an apartment in a good part of town, with good schools for my 13 year old kid.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I am packing to move to Albuquerque right now, leaving the L.A. area after 30 years. I spent the better part of a year researching ABQ and other cities with reasonable costs of living. Nothing made me think Albuquerque might be "horrible" or anything approaching it. (What a strange thing to say.) I'd suggest the OP spend some serious time reading the threads here -- the good and the bad are both easily found.

Hey Nazz, thanks for the feed back. I currently live in Inglewood Ca, and I'm to get to the small town setting. Again, all I went by was other peoples opinion on other forums. Maybe they didn't like their living situation, and decided to post the negative instead of the positive. I'm just tired of LA

Old 10-26-2016, 10:17 PM

312 posts, read 277,581 times
Hey, Rob. ... I am sad to leave L.A. but am sick of paying most of what I bring in for housing. It is absurd. $1,800 or so will bring a decent house rental in ABQ, I'm almost certain.

I have been feeling pretty good about Albuquerque in recent months, getting used to the idea. (I've visited several times and my son is there.) What can I say -- after weighing the good and the not-so-good, I'm moving there. That's my endorsement. Good luck to you.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Before moving to Alb I lived in the Westchester part of LA. I was there during the 1984 Olympics and didn't care for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque