Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:42 PM

277 posts, read 682,202 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend from the Midwest who was considering moving here, but the wife changed her mind because she didn't think she could tolerate all the "brown" without trees and lakes and robust parks for their kids. Said the holidays just feel different here without evergreen trees, lights, skating and hot cocoa… anyway, this got me thinking about people who choose to move out here. What do you like about the fact that we don't have the above, save for maybe the Taos area and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 02:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Been out here continuously since 1998/1999 and we have "evergreen trees, lights, skating and hot cocoa…", plus we have a lot more...

I don't consider it "brown", I consider it 65 shades of tan.

I had been out out here previously over the years.

But, some people just do not adapt well to various areas. It's good that they realize that in advance...

"What do you like about living in the high desert?"

It's not all desert...

Tingley Beach - Enjoy fishing, boating, picnics and hiking just minutes from downtown Albuquerque near the Rio Grande.

The City of Albuquerque Website For Tingley Beach

P1120388 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_8784 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_8778 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_8774 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_8802 by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Dia de los Muertos Celebration and Marigold Parade. November 6th, 2011. South Valley, New Mexico. Photos by
Candace E. Sanchez and R. Sanchez.

IMG_2222 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2231 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_1345 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_1386 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2440 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2460 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

IMG_2465 1920w by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-14-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 03:39 PM

5,018 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
I was talking to a friend from the Midwest who was considering moving here, but the wife changed her mind because she didn't think she could tolerate all the "brown" without trees and lakes and robust parks for their kids. Said the holidays just feel different here without evergreen trees, lights, skating and hot cocoa… anyway, this got me thinking about people who choose to move out here. What do you like about the fact that we don't have the above, save for maybe the Taos area and such?
What I say is that the Midwest is bland. And the first Christmas was in Bethlehem, in the desert of the Middle East, so you could say New Mexico's environment is closer to the original Christmas than Illinois (or wherever).

We could turn it around and say what is Christmas without luminaria displays (speaking of lights), posole, bizcochitos, the smell of juniper and piñon smoke? It all depends on what you're used to, and you can get used to and appreciate traditions different from your own.

You can skate at various skating arenas in town, and you can have all the snow you could want right here in the Sandias, with miles and miles of trails for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. How's that for a "robust park" for the kiddos?

How's this for "brown" (taken in the Sandias):

Last edited by aries63; 12-22-2016 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
His wife is right. It's too danged brown here. It would help if the buildings weren't all brown. I've been told is has to do with all the stucco finishes and that they don't hold color well, but still....what about white? There's a green shade that ages well on stucco too. Yup, too danged much man-made brown in this town. The natural environment you can't do anything about, but it's not all brown, it has it's own appeal, and it does green up nicely in the summer.

I love the winters here. Cold enough to feel like winter and Christmas, but not so cold that you can't be outside doing things. It's a crispy cold, not a bone chilling cold. Winter is my favorite season out here.

As for not having the traditional Christmas stuff, wifey needs to get out a bit. The luminarias are elegant and homey at the same time. And there's nothing more festive to me than palm trees decked out in Christmas lights. Everywhere has something unique and charming about Christmas. You just have to take off your blinders and look.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,940,207 times
Green is nice but not too much. Use to live in Western Washington and thats all we had, Evergreens as tall as apartment buildings. Blocked all the views. Everywhere felt claustophic cause of that. I rather see vistas and wide opens spaces here.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
When I go back to the Mid West - where I lived for 60 years - to visit friends and relatives everything (forests, fence rows, river banks) looks like an impenetrable jungle. As a kid we would be play in the local woods and be covered with ticks and chiggers...poison ivy...oh what fun. I have the impression that people only rarely go into the forests these days...as evidenced by the return of black bears and mountain lions where I used to live and road kill deer along the highways. I miss the 100 different shades of green in the first few weeks of spring but that is about it...that and lightning bugs.

The green here in the desert is more subtle and dusky-colored. Sage and saltbush have a certain color -- sage green, I guess. Chamisa is as green or greener than anything back east and then turns to bright yellow. Almost everything blooms in the desert in some fashion. We had a huge spontaneous bloom of Scorpion Weed (Wild Heliotrope) a couple years ago that turned everything blue. The distant horizons make up for the many years of closed-in living back east. You can watch a thunderstorm track its way across the desert sixty miles away. The night sky is unbelievable. I can see five mountain ranges and watch the sunset and cloud shadows move across the Sandias. I can be in the tall pines of the Jemez Mountains in less than 40 minutes or head up into Las Huertas Canyon and go all the way to the crest of the Sandias if I need a forest. Then there's the Cottonwoods in the bosque -- ancient trees that turn bright gold each autumn. There is a lot of brown -- mostly from exposed rock and desert sand. That is really the bare bones of the desert geology and you can see how it is all woven together if you take the time.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
The night sky is gorgeous at the higher altitudes, with the milky way and shooting stars standing out clearly.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:10 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
His wife is right. It's too danged brown here. It would help if the buildings weren't all brown. I've been told is has to do with all the stucco finishes and that they don't hold color well, but still....what about white? There's a green shade that ages well on stucco too. Yup, too danged much man-made brown in this town. The natural environment you can't do anything about, but it's not all brown, it has it's own appeal, and it does green up nicely in the summer.

I love the winters here. Cold enough to feel like winter and Christmas, but not so cold that you can't be outside doing things. It's a crispy cold, not a bone chilling cold. Winter is my favorite season out here.

As for not having the traditional Christmas stuff, wifey needs to get out a bit. The luminarias are elegant and homey at the same time. And there's nothing more festive to me than palm trees decked out in Christmas lights. Everywhere has something unique and charming about Christmas. You just have to take off your blinders and look.
I've seen that (the green) here and there around town (Santa Fe), and it looks great! It's really nice for variety. I wouldn't call the stucco finishes "brown", though; they're different shades of tan, and some are pinkish. IDK about Albuquerque, but in Santa Fe, the pueblo-style architecture look does contribute to tourism, and I like the more or less unified color scheme and style. It looks a lot more aesthetic than a jumble of architecture styles and colors, which can look chaotic in some cities. Similarly, parts of the Bay Area, CA, where the Mediterranean style is the dominant one, look very nice.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:32 PM

55 posts, read 48,131 times
Moved here in June from KC. Absolutely love the landscape of the desert. The only thing the thick Midwest vegetation does is harbor chiggers, mosquitos, oak mites and ticks. Looked over the fence in back and stared down at a rattlesnake ...... seriously, how cool is that?

Old 12-28-2016, 12:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickaida View Post
Moved here in June from KC. Absolutely love the landscape of the desert. The only thing the thick Midwest vegetation does is harbor chiggers, mosquitos, oak mites and ticks. Looked over the fence in back and stared down at a rattlesnake ...... seriously, how cool is that?
Oak mites aren't common to KC, however they likely are spreading further north with time due to warming climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque