Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that El Paso just got a new outlet mall with stores that we dont have,I know that even smaller cities in Iowa and I think Maine have them,But we dont,I wanna see new restaurants and new retail here,I wanna see new things that we dont have here,not another Lowes or another Wal-Mart,but something that will attract people from accross the state.I've been floating around on other cities forums and I've noticed so many building high rise lofts and hotels downtown, when is Albq gonna get with the program,if we stay the way we are every other city our size and smaller are going to be the more modern city and were going to look like the city in the southwest with no money.Here is what Louisville,KY is doing ,I heard there is 5 new skyscrappers going up.I just feel that Albq is so slow,maybe we need someone from back east or the midwest to help us out.

Museum Plaza

Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Desert -

With due respect, I think Albuquerque is currently very with the program and is growing rapidly and progressing quite nicely in comparison to many other cities. Surely, most nationally would agree that Albuquerque is much more "with the program" than El Paso is (and this coming from a guy who absolutely loves El Paso).

If you are talking retail, what about the new ABQ Uptown? That is a phenomenal outdoor mainstream shopping experience that El Paso cannot match. I have heard that El Paso often gets some retail that ABQ doesn't because it is able to appeal to affluent shoppers from Mexico who live hundreds of miles or closer to the border, however, I think ABQ retail is growing quite nicely for a city of its size (it is still under 1-million metro).

One nice thing about ABQ retail, restaurants, etc., is that ABQ has such an immensely strong "local" presence in terms of extremely good, quality local restaurants (and retail - namely in the Old Town area) - that they don't just need to glob on to all of the typical major chains of seemingly every other big city that makes all of the other big cities seem to run together so generically and blandly as the same; ABQ is uniquely different.

Sure, ABQ doesn't have a huge glob of skyscrapers, and some think some here and there added may be a nice touch, but there are plenty of nice, new condos/lofts/development in Downtown ABQ.

I always find it dangerous to try to be like every other city. Buffalo, NY for example built a 1/2-billion (yes, billion) dollar light rail system to try to keep up largely with the hip or cool factor of other progressive cities...yet the problem is, that unlike other bigger cities, there is little need for light rail in Buffalo, so it goes largely unused and is a waste. Buffalo would've been better served thinking how they could best upgrade THEIR city...not worrying about what other cities were doing.

I guess I kind of hear you, but I think ABQ is doing great for what it is, size-wise, etc. I think ABQ should worry more about a nice arena, etc., which would highly benefit it, than trying to just emulate what every other city is doing.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:49 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,701 times
EnjoyEP is right. Another problem that has kept retail out of ABQ is the perception of us being a very poor city. Things have changed significantly in the last 10 years, and for the better. ABQ is now being looked at by every major retailer in the country. Sperry Van Ness even calls ABQ a Top 10 Retail Market to watch (follow attached link). REBusinessOnline - Articles

The Outlets in Santa Fe were recently purchased by a Florida businessman who will completely revitalize the center. He has already signed Polo Ralph Lauren and Nike. You can probably expect to see the likes of Puma, Burberry, and others signed shortly.

So while I understand your frustration, as I feel it too. Things are changing and they are changing for the better. But lets also support the great ABQ retailers who have been bringing the fashion to the masses for sometime now. There is enough room for everyone, and like EnjoyEP said, the locals give us our sense of charm.

Let's not forget El Paso still doesn't have a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sunflower Market, Wild Oats, Anthropologie, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, MAC, L'Occitane, and many others that we do.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM

150 posts, read 792,067 times
I would agree that the new "Uptown" area construction goes a long way in being with the "program." One city's program may not be anothers however. Uptown is really just getting started, and it will be exciting to see what all is offered there, when building is concluded. I'm also very curious as to what will happen with the huge Winrock Mall area. There is much room to grow now, east of Louisiana, south of Menaul, and north of I-40. I'm sure it will be a very different place ten years from now...perhaps including an "outlet" mall or two. I also agree, we "do not" need another SuperWal-Mart! :-)

Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I've noticed that El Paso just got a new outlet mall with stores that we dont have,I know that even smaller cities in Iowa and I think Maine have them,But we dont,I wanna see new restaurants and new retail here,I wanna see new things that we dont have here,not another Lowes or another Wal-Mart,but something that will attract people from accross the state.I've been floating around on other cities forums and I've noticed so many building high rise lofts and hotels downtown, when is Albq gonna get with the program,if we stay the way we are every other city our size and smaller are going to be the more modern city and were going to look like the city in the southwest with no money.Here is what Louisville,KY is doing ,I heard there is 5 new skyscrappers going up.I just feel that Albq is so slow,maybe we need someone from back east or the midwest to help us out.

Museum Plaza

The Outlet centers......are basically full of clearance, discontinued & irregular item stores, even the so called brand name stores ie. NIKE, Tommy Hilfiger etc!
So Outlet Malls are not too popular in some places, to where as Lifestyle Centers like ABQ Uptown are the "IN THING" that you are seeing in major cities like Phoenix, Denver & Dallas.
So you see it's cities like El Paso that are playing catch up, and wont see anything like ABQ Uptown for several years to come.
As for skyscrapers, there are currently several in the planning stages. Packard Place a 35 floor condo twin tower, the Chase building a 27+ floor mixed use tower at I-25 & Jefferson, the Anasazi lofts downtown a 9 floor building, along with the Arena/Hotel project which could have a 22 floor Hotel attached to it.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,571 times
As already stated, the new shopping center near El Paso is a discount outlet space. Plus, the number of people within 50 miles of the center is a lot higher than ABQ. 1 million+ in juarez, 700k+ in El Paso and close to 200k in southern New Mexico.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,709 times
We have a outlet mall.... it's outside of Santa Fe.

BTW, I didn't know Alb had Anthropologie -- very cool store.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 PM

710 posts, read 2,961,701 times
Anthropologie and L'Occitane open next month at ABQ Uptown. Urban Outfitters is shopping the Nob Hill area.

As for El Paso not having a lifestyle center, it's not because they are behind ABQ. Their malls do so much more business than ours. Cielo Vista Mall contains Guess, Coach, Coldwater Creek, White House Black Market, Chico, Bebe, Bebe Sport, Abercrombie. So as for the store mix, they are not lacking, they just don't have a new or modern outdoor mall.

ABQ and EP both are booming and both have very bright futures. EP is completing a desalination plant that will provide their water supply for many years to come. They are currently building a TRUE Loop Freeway something we may never accomplish. So while we have better paying jobs, and higher job growth, EP is more forward thinking than many of you give credit. If the two cities work together on regional issues instead of finger pointing, our two cities could prosper even more.

As mentioned in my previous post (via the link) Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Crate & Barrel are looking closely at ABQ. It depends on what Phase III at ABQ Uptown consist of, or what Goodman Realty does with the renovation of Winrock Mall. The fact that these retailers are even looking at our market speaks volumes to how far ABQ has come.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,263 times
I could care less about which chains are located in Albuquerque. I currently live in the Dayton/Cincinnati sprawl. I have access to all kinds of chains. If I wanted that, I'd stay here. My main thing is whether or not I can get good "health food." I'm delighted that Albuquerque has a Trader Joe's. Give me good thrift stores, used book stores, great coffee, and lots of local restaurants, and I'll be happy. Otherwise, I mainly shop on the Internet, anyway.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post

ABQ and EP both are booming and both have very bright futures. EP is completing a desalination plant that will provide their water supply for many years to come. They are currently building a TRUE Loop Freeway something we may never accomplish. So while we have better paying jobs, and higher job growth, EP is more forward thinking than many of you give credit. If the two cities work together on regional issues instead of finger pointing, our two cities could prosper even more.
I agree that this shouldn't be a competition between the two cities, however alot of the places you mention we have one or more than one here.

Here is Your List:
Guess (Dillards carries Guess Products)
Coach (Dillards carries Coach products)
Coldwater Creek (Have it)
White House Black Market (There are two in Albuquerque, and one in Santa Fe)
Chico's (Albuquerque has atleast two that I know of)
Bebe(ABQ has one)
Bebe Sport (Albuquerque doesn't have it)
Abercrombie (Albuquerque, used to, but not anymore due to the popularity of Holister during Abercrombie's rebuild stage after the fire)

So in reality, El Paso doesn't have much that Albuquerque doesn't. However, El Paso and Albuquerque are two different and unique cities. I agree completly that they should work closely together instead of having constant competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque