Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM

751 posts, read 1,177,685 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Albuquerque for those who might have been considering a move to this city. First time, I visited New Mexico, I had a great time, it is a beautiful state, but visiting Albuquerque and living in Albuquerque are two different things! I used to live in NE Albuquerque, which is considered the best part of town, if you live in NE, you should not have any problems, however, the SW and SE parts of town can be very undesirable, I would describe it as something close to a 3rd world country ghetto, extremely poor, almost like a Ciudad Juarez type of poverty. If you dont like Hispanics, stay away from this city, Hispanics are everywhere and have been for years, although the New Mexican Hispanic is not your typical newcomer to this country, some have been in New Mexico for 500 years! I would say, many have integrated and become Americans, but some go out of their way to maintain their Hispanics roots, even after being here for so many years!! Last names like Gonzales and Sanchez are as common here as Smith or Jones. One thing that always bothered me about Albuquerque and New Mexico in general is the overall poverty and lack of infra structure. It is a very poor state and this lack of funding and infra structure affects everybody's lives. There are places in New Mexico today where people are still fighting for their right to have running water, I know it sounds weird, but it is true! As far as jobs, it is a very weak job market, with some of the lowest salaries I have ever seen anywhere(including jobs that require a college degree). Also, the crime and lawlessness is very present!! Alcoholism in this state is just epidemic! This creates a lot of fights, domestic abuse and DWI's (some of the highest in the nation). It is a very unique place, with a very unique culture that can be very hard to get used to! After I left Albuquerque, I have visited this city at least 3 times and it is a great place to see as a visitor! As far as living there again, I wouldnt.

Last edited by lukeache; 08-27-2007 at 08:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 08:35 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
lukeache trolled:

> ... If you dont like Hispanics, ...

If someone don't like any group of people based on race, color,
sex, religion, then they are a bigot in which case, giving
advice after that point is pointless. Why mention it?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
lukeache trolled:

> ... If you dont like Hispanics, ...

If someone don't like any group of people based on race, color,
sex, religion, then they are a bigot in which case, giving
advice after that point is pointless. Why mention it?
Because New Mexico is one of the few states where you will see majority Hispanic areas. At least, here in Minnesota, that is unheard of, it also holds true for most of the "whiter states". Nothing good or bad about that, just very different from most states!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:21 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Default Read This Also !!

The whole SE is a third world ghetto and looks like Juarez ??? What world are you in......A few places on Central and Zuni are bad (yes bad) but not the whole SE Heights. How do i know?? I live and work in the SE Heights for the last 8 years and 3 months. Is Ridgecrest thirdworld? Is Nob Hill thirdworld? Is Gibson thirdworld? Is Kirtland AFB and Sandia National Labs thirdworld? Is south Eubank and the Nano Tech park out there third world? And i'm from El Paso (andress high school) so i know all about Juarez so i have to laugh at this....

You said ''if you don't like Hispanics stay away??'' Why.... I'm Anglo and a Southerner and it doesn't bother me at all including living and working in the S E Heights area but i'm probably not WHITE enough for ya either....

Lack of infrustructure?? 2 Billion dollars of freeway construction and another 2 Billion in Capital outlay money's are being spent here. Maybe Minnesota should worry about its own Infrustructure as you just had a bridge COLLAPSE there !!

As far as no running water...... well there in North Florida and Southern Georgia are there towns and places with NO running water so i guess those states are also thirdworld.....

Yeah there is crime here as in all 50 states have crime as you can watch the CBS Evening news and see almost every nite there is some horrific crime in one of the 50 states in this country....

Yeah our salaries are not as high as alot of states but the cost of living is lower here as thats why alot of retirees are moving here as their retirement check/monies goes farther....

No one here ever said this state is perfect or a Utopia or low crime or low poverty ...yada yada yada .......but its not a THIRD world country that some of you love to come on here now and then and make it out that way.

Don't worry as we won't go on the Minnesota forums and Crap on your state as you did ours.....

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 08-27-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 12:31 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Right on 6 Foot 3. It's amazing the amount of ignorance, prejudice, and misinformation there is out there about Albuquerque. I sometimes wonder whether people are talking about the same city when they say things like that.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
Lukeache,

If you were a base runner in a baseball game, I'm afraid you would be picked off and called out when it comes to your description of Albuquerque.

This is a city that is comprised of friendly folks, a manageable cost of living, rich cultures, and wonderful vistas.

I came here four years ago from the Bay Area and feel like i'm living in Utopia.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Hi all:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on Albuquerque for those who might have been considering a move to this city. First time, I visited New Mexico, I had a great time, it is a beautiful state, but visiting Albuquerque and living in Albuquerque are two different things! I used to live in NE Albuquerque, which is considered the best part of town, if you live in NE, you should not have any problems, however, the SW and SE parts of town can be very undesirable, I would describe it as something close to a 3rd world country ghetto, extremely poor, almost like a Ciudad Juarez type of poverty. If you dont like Hispanics, stay away from this city, Hispanics are everywhere and have been for years, although the New Mexican Hispanic is not your typical newcomer to this country, some have been in New Mexico for 500 years! I would say, many have integrated and become Americans, but some go out of their way to maintain their Hispanics roots, even after being here for so many years!! Last names like Gonzales and Sanchez are as common here as Smith or Jones. One thing that always bothered me about Albuquerque and New Mexico in general is the overall poverty and lack of infra structure. It is a very poor state and this lack of funding and infra structure affects everybody's lives. There are places in New Mexico today where people are still fighting for their right to have running water, I know it sounds weird, but it is true! As far as jobs, it is a very weak job market, with some of the lowest salaries I have ever seen anywhere(including jobs that require a college degree). Also, the crime and lawlessness is very present!! Alcoholism in this state is just epidemic! This creates a lot of fights, domestic abuse and DWI's (some of the highest in the nation). It is a very unique place, with a very unique culture that can be very hard to get used to! After I left Albuquerque, I have visited this city at least 3 times and it is a great place to see as a visitor! As far as living there again, I wouldnt.

WOW!!! As an Albuquerquen living in Chicago, I've met a few people from the Midwest (but typically not from Chicago) that have your same idea about ABQ and New Mexico in general...but does that make me believe that all midwesterners outside of Chicago are bigots who are missinformed and exist in a bland, non-diverse world?

NOPE!!! because I guess the family that raised me and the environment in which I was raised in ABQ taught me tolerance for different world views - including a very limited and biggotted view like yours!

In an everchanging and diversifying world maybe one day you'll find that you can achieve more value in a place when you embrace its diversity.

Your comments really make me thankful that I was not born and raised in one of those "whiter states" as you call them in the following quote:

"At least, here in Minnesota, that is unheard of, it also holds true for most of the "whiter states".

The world outside of wherever you live is a big and diverse place, and I wish you luck surviving in it!

Old 08-27-2007, 03:41 PM

Once again, you are entitled to your opinions! I lived in Albuquerque, do not regret living there, but any person with a bit of common sense knows that Albuquerque and New Mexico can be chaotic places. There is a "lowlife" element to this city and the state that is just undeniable. The public schools in this state are mostly crap! I used to live by that high school by San Mateo and Montgomery Blvd(Del Norte HS?) and I swear, I would not send my kids to that school not even if it was the only school in this country.Albuquerque has one of the worst homeless problems I have ever seen anywhere in the country, also, it is a city that attracts a lot of "drifters", how many times have I seen people with big backpacks just walking up and down Central Av, just with this "up to no good" attitude. One thing that sucks about New Mexico in general is that not even small towns are safe, even Santa Fe is not safe! I have been to Espanola and even Espanola is not safe.!! Drug use in this state is epidemic, read about what happened in Rio Arriba county, heroin devastated that county in such way that it makes me wonder, why are so many young New Mexicans turning to alcohol, drugs and gangs!? Simple, it is a state with lots of social problems, very poor educational system, few resources and not much to do..doesnt take a genius to figure this one out..Does it? I find this state beautiful, picturesque and very unique..but in terms of social problems, it is one of the worst states in the nation.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Lukeache, I can't agree with you there. I live in Albuquerque and do not think it's worse than elsewhere. I have traveled extensively and have never been more hassled by homeless than in NYC, Seattle, San Francisco, and DC. And all of these are considered our more sophisticated cities.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 PM

361 posts, read 1,092,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Once again, you are entitled to your opinions! I lived in Albuquerque, do not regret living there, but any person with a bit of common sense knows that Albuquerque and New Mexico can be chaotic places. There is a "lowlife" element to this city and the state that is just undeniable. The public schools in this state are mostly crap! I used to live by that high school by San Mateo and Montgomery Blvd(Del Norte HS?) and I swear, I would not send my kids to that school not even if it was the only school in this country.Albuquerque has one of the worst homeless problems I have ever seen anywhere in the country, also, it is a city that attracts a lot of "drifters", how many times have I seen people with big backpacks just walking up and down Central Av, just with this "up to no good" attitude. One thing that sucks about New Mexico in general is that not even small towns are safe, even Santa Fe is not safe! I have been to Espanola and even Espanola is not safe.!! Drug use in this state is epidemic, read about what happened in Rio Arriba county, heroin devastated that county in such way that it makes me wonder, why are so many young New Mexicans turning to alcohol, drugs and gangs!? Simple, it is a state with lots of social problems, very poor educational system, few resources and not much to do..doesnt take a genius to figure this one out..Does it? I find this state beautiful, picturesque and very unique..but in terms of social problems, it is one of the worst states in the nation.
...and once again your opinion is a generalization of an entire state based on what seems a limited experience in that state and city!!

I lived in San Francisco for 5 years and now in Chicago for 4 years, and I would never claim to know what all the population of those cities are like, and I would never make a sweeping judgement of the social aspects and the population of those cities - even if it was only my humble opinion. If I did make comments about the population I would at least try and take a balanced view - but that's just me - and I didn't grow up in your world - or have your experiences. Like I said good luck getting on in the big bad world!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque