Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 392,719 times

Advertisements

Oh I forgot, not sure if anyone suggested this yet, but there's at least one apartment-finder business that gets paid by landlords to find tenants (so it's free to prospective tenants) - not sure if they have listings for SFHs but they helped me find my last apartment on really short notice. Worth a call maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 PM

520 posts, read 614,742 times
Victory Hills can be hit or miss, in my opinion, and a lot depends on the particular street. In Victory Hills and many of the older neighborhoods nearby, there will be very nice houses next door to run down houses. I think there are some posters who live in nearby neighborhoods and you may get better advice from them. If you are looking at one of the rentals I saw on Zillow, you may be paying a premium for newer construction. I would prefer some of the older houses I saw north of Central in the same price range, but that's a matter of personal preference. Victory Hills wouldn't be a categorical no, like it is for Westbound. I also don't have a problem with the Smiths on Yale, but it's small and cramped and the store on Carlisle is much nicer. It really seems like a college grocery store more than anything else.

Either way, you are paying a premium for being close to downtown and UNM, even if some of these neighborhoods are a little seedy and have older houses, some of which haven't been kept up. You can get more house for the money on the Westside and Rio Rancho or even in the Northeast Heights. Also, as I posted earlier in the thread, ABQ's average housing prices are actually a little higher than Atlanta's. ABQ's economy isn't as good, but it isn't in recession and there are still a number of people with good, middle class (or better) jobs, especially with the large federal government presence. The ABQ metro has been slowly growing and the housing market in particular is doing well. It has become a seller's (and landlord's) market, in part because there hasn't been a lot of new housing build in the last decade. What new housing is built is largely geographically constricted to the Westside, where prices correspondingly are lower.

Finally, are you looking on Craigslist and even driving around neighborhoods you like? Since you are already in town, it can be easier if you pick a neighborhood or two and then exhaust the listings out there. If you are looking on Zillow or other commercial cites you are probably only seeing a small slice of the market. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 PM

I may have had bad luck at the Yale smiths or maybe it has improved, but my previous experiences were not pleasant, so I probably will avoid it. There are better places to go. Ymmv

Definitely agree about driving around prospective neighborhoods, you miss a lot of properties if you only look online.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:40 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,712,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
I recently was browsing rentals in hopes of finding a reasonably priced small house that had refrigerated air, I'm in a casita now that is old (but comfortable) but it has a swamp cooler that is trouble for me healthwise. I found some places in my price range but all had swamp. The newer places with fridge ac were way out of my budget. I don't remember so many rentals prices so high when I was looking 4 years ago. Hope you can find something good soon! I know it's frustrating
Out of curiosity how much are the smaller places with AC going for?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Out of curiosity how much are the smaller places with AC going for?
Sorry I don't have solid numbers, once i saw it was probably going to be 1k or more in a safe neighborhood I gave up looking. My little place is 750, in a slowly improving neighborhood. I'm a starving student right now, until I get my degree or at least a paid internship at the labs I'm staying where I am now. I could move into an apartment but I'd rather stay in my usually quiet sfh and deal with the swamp cooler.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 PM

78 posts, read 88,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Victory Hills can be hit or miss, in my opinion, and a lot depends on the particular street. In Victory Hills and many of the older neighborhoods nearby, there will be very nice houses next door to run down houses. I think there are some posters who live in nearby neighborhoods and you may get better advice from them. If you are looking at one of the rentals I saw on Zillow, you may be paying a premium for newer construction. I would prefer some of the older houses I saw north of Central in the same price range, but that's a matter of personal preference. Victory Hills wouldn't be a categorical no, like it is for Westbound. I also don't have a problem with the Smiths on Yale, but it's small and cramped and the store on Carlisle is much nicer. It really seems like a college grocery store more than anything else."
I recently moved to the Victory Hills neighborhood and I love it! Some bits are nicer than others, I found a quiet street with 90% homeowners and I love the look, feel and big trees of my area. I have a view of the West Mesa from my front porch and enjoy walking to Hyder Park and the sweet Ernie Pile library. It's close to jump on I-25 and to get to things around Nob Hill & downtown. I am meeting nice neighbors on Next Door, some even gave me free apricots to make jam. For me, it's a fit. I love the vintage of the houses.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-12-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 PM

78 posts, read 88,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Yeah, you were totally right! Man, am I eating crow now.

Yes, we seek the same sanctuary, happy home that you do. We don't want anything big fancy, just clean, orderly, warm and inviting. Yeah. Can't hardly find it for less than $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Its crazy looking for places here, isn't it? I'm still dumbfounded even though I'm here and actually experiencing it. I can't believe we are applying to places that are over $1400. Massively over budget, but the fear of the terrible sketchy hovels we've seen is pushing us to extreme lengths. I know well have huge 'buyers remorse' after we sign a lease at how much it has cost us. What a bummer, ABQ.
Sent you a direct message with a lead *fingers crossed*

Old 07-13-2017, 10:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,712,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
Sorry I don't have solid numbers, once i saw it was probably going to be 1k or more in a safe neighborhood I gave up looking. My little place is 750, in a slowly improving neighborhood. I'm a starving student right now, until I get my degree or at least a paid internship at the labs I'm staying where I am now. I could move into an apartment but I'd rather stay in my usually quiet sfh and deal with the swamp cooler.
Thanks Good luck with your search

Old 07-18-2017, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 12,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling_salsera View Post
I recently moved to the Victory Hills neighborhood and I love it! Some bits are nicer than others, I found a quiet street with 90% homeowners and I love the look, feel and big trees of my area. I have a view of the West Mesa from my front porch and enjoy walking to Hyder Park and the sweet Ernie Pile library. It's close to jump on I-25 and to get to things around Nob Hill & downtown. I am meeting nice neighbors on Next Door, some even gave me free apricots to make jam. For me, it's a fit. I love the vintage of the houses.
Smiling_salsera, would you mind mentioning what street you're on? Victory Hills strikes me as a more affordable alternative (at least in the homebuyer's market, if not the rental market) to Nob Hill and Spruce Park.

And speaking of the Smith's on Yale, isn't that where back in November or December a woman in hijab was harassed by some angry crazy person and the employees, manager, and other customers came to her defense?

Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 AM

686 posts, read 1,106,733 times
So what did the OP end up doing? Maybe she decided not to move here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque