Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:41 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times

Advertisements

Let's say he buys a house and after 3 years gets orders. Is he planning to keep it, sell it, what? The Air Force isn't going to buy it like a private firm may, are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
2018 new mexico BAH Rates
Basic Allowance for Housing:
MHA: NM206 - ALBUQUERQUE/KIRTLAND AFB

If they do not live in furnished military quarters they can draw BAH, Basic Allowance for Housing

The lowest rate possible at Kirtland is:

"The Basic Allowance for Housing is a military benefit that comes in handy when applying for a VA home loan. It provides the lender with an easy-to-measure proof of your ability to pay a mortgage on time. BAH is an important military benefit for anyone considering a VA loan for that first home."

https://www.militaryrates.com/milita...XICO&mha=NM206

Grade E1
With Dependents $1278.00
Without Dependents $972.00

Old 03-15-2018, 06:24 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,240,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Let's say he buys a house and after 3 years gets orders. Is he planning to keep it, sell it, what? The Air Force isn't going to buy it like a private firm may, are they?
You've got me on that. It's their finances, so their decision. I'm just trying to give them a good idea of where to look. I'm giving my input that they should rent, but in the end it's up to them.

However, I'm in a community in Florida near Air Force Base and there's quite a few military families, so something makes it worth buying home. I have one couple next door to me and they know now they will be moving within 2 years. Another couple a couple blocks over that expected to move in 2 years, they got their orders last month and will have lived here 27 months. Must be the housing allowance that makes it worth it.

Her fiance bought house in Las Vegas (NV) and will turn a profit within 3 years, so maybe he's thinking he'll be able to do that again - I have my doubts given the economic conditions today and the area.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Too bad they couldn't live on base.
As they won't be married at the time of his reassignment, they can't live on base.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM

Hi again.... after some delays in transfers my daughter and fiance are now looking at homes in Albuquerque. They are looking at a home in the Four Hills Village area which is in their price range, also seems like reasonable commute to Kirkland. Any feedback on the area?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Hi again.... after some delays in transfers my daughter and fiance are now looking at homes in Albuquerque. They are looking at a home in the Four Hills Village area which is in their price range, also seems like reasonable commute to Kirkland. Any feedback on the area?
A lot of people who work on Kirtland (with a T) live in 4 hills (the "village" part may appear on maps but people just call it "four hills").

Nicer, older houses. A little isolated. Definitely has a "bedroom community" feel, as you'll pass dozens of houses (and speed bumps!) before you get to any businesses.

Could definitely do worse.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
A lot of people who work on Kirtland (with a T) live in 4 hills (the "village" part may appear on maps but people just call it "four hills").

Nicer, older houses. A little isolated. Definitely has a "bedroom community" feel, as you'll pass dozens of houses (and speed bumps!) before you get to any businesses.

Could definitely do worse.
Thanks. I think there's a preference to be somewhat isolated. Their importance leans more towards safety and overall neighborly feel, and also reasonable commute to the base.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 AM

There is a "Four Hills Village" and there is a "Four Hills Mobile Home Park" and there is a "Village At Four Hills". They are near each other. Some people get them confused.

My wife worked at Kirtland Air Force Base for about 10 years and commuted from Rio Rancho.

There are a lot of areas which have suitable neighborhoods.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
There is a "Four Hills Village" and there is a "Four Hills Mobile Home Park" and there is a "Village At Four Hills". They are near each other. Some people get them confused.

My wife worked at Kirtland Air Force Base for about 10 years and commuted from Rio Rancho.

There are a lot of areas which have suitable neighborhoods.
Per the map, it's in Four Hills Village. The maps shows that's located near Juan Tabo Hills. Not sure how that aligns to the mobile home park or "village at Four Hills".

Old 07-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Per the map, it's in Four Hills Village. The maps shows that's located near Juan Tabo Hills. Not sure how that aligns to the mobile home park or "village at Four Hills".
They are all pretty close, but not an issue to the best of my knowledge. We had friends in the area which we would visit 15 years ago. We have lived in Rio Rancho 15+ years. My wife commuted to Kirtland AFB until she retired.

We have moved many times over the years. I would recommend a trip to look at the entire area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque