Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:28 PM
ch1 ch1 started this thread

109 posts, read 131,850 times

Advertisements

Dear all

I have visited ABQ about 3 times. The trips were short and quick for work purpose. I love the town from what I have experienced in about 48 hrs to 5 days .

I am wonderung if I should give up the idea of making ABQ my home as I have snake phobia. It is irrational and I am ashamed of it. However, what's the point in moving even if the town offers me my dream job.

I have read on the internet about the incidents of snakes being removed out of apartments in Albuquerque.

I can forgo gardening but I also read about an incident wherein a child was not by a 7 to 11 foot rattler hiding under the car.

Does ABQ have people with snake phobia? I know there are sessions to overcome it. Well, let alone handling a snake or stepping a room full of them, I get terrified to look at pictures. So should I give up on my dream job
As I might die of heart attack anyway by snake sighting, then I won't be alive to enjoy my job.

Dream job life or peaceful no fear life with a job???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
ch1 ch1 started this thread

109 posts, read 131,850 times
Typo ' a child was bit'

Old 06-11-2018, 03:43 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,152 times
Lived here 7.5 years, have not seen one snake. Doesn’t mean there aren’t any, especially out on trails, but I wouldn’t say they are that common within the city. YMMV but I wouldn’t avoid moving to ABQ due to snakes

Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,169 times
I have lived here for 23 years and have never seen a snake in the city. I am sure they exist in open spaces but I have not come across one in the city. I have seen them out in rural areas.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1 View Post
I am wonderung if I should give up the idea of making ABQ my home as I have snake phobia. It is irrational and I am ashamed of it.

What American State Doesn't Have Poisonous Snakes?
By Axl J. Amistaadt

Quote:
The best American state for snake-o-phobes is Alaska, home to no poisonous serpents. In fact, no snakes of any kind have been documented as permanent homesteaders. Close also-rans are Hawaii and Maine, with respectively one and one possible venomous snake species.
Entire article is at: http://animals.mom.me/american-state...akes-8647.html

I think I have seen two live snakes in our 15+ years here. They were harmless snakes.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
A phobia is a phobia. I had a friend who couldn’t walk down the sidewalk if a snake was dead in the street. Not rational but very real. I live out in the desert and have an occasional harmless coachwhip snake in my yard but have never encountered a rattlesnake in five years. Now, there are snakes everywhere (maybe not Ireland) and there are chances of encountering one most places...probably even where OP lives. Living in a city where the climate has a winter with freezing temperatures at night (like ABQ) probably keeps the snake numbers very low. We don’t have to worry about the wet climate snakes.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:51 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1 View Post
Dear all

I have visited ABQ about 3 times. The trips were short and quick for work purpose. I love the town from what I have experienced in about 48 hrs to 5 days .

I am wonderung if I should give up the idea of making ABQ my home as I have snake phobia. It is irrational and I am ashamed of it. However, what's the point in moving even if the town offers me my dream job.

I have read on the internet about the incidents of snakes being removed out of apartments in Albuquerque.

I can forgo gardening but I also read about an incident wherein a child was not by a 7 to 11 foot rattler hiding under the car.

Does ABQ have people with snake phobia? I know there are sessions to overcome it. Well, let alone handling a snake or stepping a room full of them, I get terrified to look at pictures. So should I give up on my dream job
As I might die of heart attack anyway by snake sighting, then I won't be alive to enjoy my job.

Dream job life or peaceful no fear life with a job???
I grew up in the rural Arizona desert. But I also went to high school in New Mexico. Albuquerque does not have a rattlesnake problem. The "dense" area of rattlesnakes would be in the rural stretch of I-10 between Las Cruces, NM and Tucson once you get off the freeway and roam into the surrounding arid desert and mountains. I have never seen a rattlesnake near Albuquerque. I've hiked up Sandia Peak and come down when it was getting dark but never saw a snake. I saw plenty of deer but no rattlesnakes.

By contrast, I saw plenty of rattlesnakes in the rural Arizona of my childhood deep in the desert region. Albuquerque is at a higher elevation and somewhat removed from pure desert cacti regions common near Tucson and Lordsburg, NM. The adjacent desert around Tucson is teeming with rattlesnakes. It is literally too dangerous to jog at night in the summer around Tucson's desert foothill trails. I've done it. Albuquerque is relatively safe for jogging in the rural trails. Sandia Peak is a good place to escape the heat of the brutal desert of Southern NM and AZ in the summer.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:49 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times
To echo what others have said, I have lived in Albuquerque for ten years and never seen a snake (with the possible exception of someone's pet boa, now that I think about it). I don't spend any time on the outskirts of town, so I can't comment on what it would be like there. There are definitely snakes, including rattle snakes, in parts of New Mexico, but I think they are a practically non-existent issue in Albuquerque. If you don't plan on spending a lot of time hiking and camping, I don't see why the problem would come up at all.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
What American State Doesn't Have Poisonous Snakes?
By Axl J. Amistaadt

Entire article is at: http://animals.mom.me/american-state...akes-8647.html

I think I have seen two live snakes in our 15+ years here. They were harmless snakes.
i am herpetologist and the term is venomous not poisonous.Best Wishes.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
I cant stand the horrible things and when I went to Florida I was a nervous wreck all the time..so wont be going back any day soon..............Antarctica, Iceland, Ireland and Newfoundland.New Zealand dont have snakes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque