Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM

5,043 posts, read 7,419,654 times

Advertisements

From a report that aired 9/18/18 on KRQE:

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) - Masses of millennials are moving to one part of the metro and it's not where you might think.

"I didn't know it existed," said Zach Kareem, who lives in the Southeast Heights Neighborhood.

Even people who have lived there for years, like Kareem, admit they didn't know anything about it until they moved there.

"I'd never been here. I'd lived in Albuquerque for like 10 years," said Kareem.

According to a new study, the neighborhood bordering Lead and Carlisle makes up a large part of the most popular zip code in New Mexico for millennials.

"I mean they're big beautiful custom built homes, they're older but they have a lot of character," said Kareem.

The study, compiled and published by rental website Rent Cafe, breaks down the most popular 'millennial zip codes' by the percentage of millennials who have moved there over the past several years.

The 87108 zip code was the most popular by far, earning 14.3 percent of the vote.

Of the ten New Mexico zip codes on the list, nine are in the Albuquerque metro area.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...ico/1458617105

It's not just millennials moving here, retirees like myself enjoy it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Nob Hill is popular with people in their 20s and 30s? Never would have guessed.

I find it hard to believe that a younger adult who has lived in Albuquerque for any considerable length of time has never heard of the most restaurant and pub rich neighborhood, less than a mile from the university. Kareem must really be out of the loop.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,938,357 times
How are they affording this? I should have gotten degrees in something real.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
There are some reasonable rentals in Nob Hill, but for actually purchasing real estate, it would help to be a bit above the median Albuquerque income, for sure, though it is not exactly million dollar mansions in the area.

The older end of the millennial generation is dangerously close to their 40th birthdays and the youngest are well into their 20s, so some of them are entering their higher earning potential, and with good credit, a $200k-350k house is not out of the question.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 PM

5,043 posts, read 7,419,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Nob Hill is popular with people in their 20s and 30s? Never would have guessed.

I find it hard to believe that a younger adult who has lived in Albuquerque for any considerable length of time has never heard of the most restaurant and pub rich neighborhood, less than a mile from the university. Kareem must really be out of the loop.
It's not Nob Hill, but not far, they're essentially talking about the Ridgecrest area southeast of Nob Hill. But yeah, how is it "unknown" or "hidden"? Especially with GPS and Google maps. I guess it is not on the Breaking Bad Bus Tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I thought the same... but there are tech folks who get high-earning jobs right out of high school. You don't need college to learn coding for example. But there are lots more affordable houses in 87108, where I also live. My house in "Fringecrest" is worth something shy of $200K. I was surprised by this report because it doesn't seem to me that the houses around here are being snapped up that fast. Some sit on the market quite a while.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It's not Nob Hill, but not far, they're essentially talking about the Ridgecrest area southeast of Nob Hill.
A fair chunk of the eastern part of the "official" Nob Hill neighborhood is in 87108, actually: everything between Carlisle on the west and Washington on the East.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It's not Nob Hill, but not far, they're essentially talking about the Ridgecrest area southeast of Nob Hill. But yeah, how is it "unknown" or "hidden"? Especially with GPS and Google maps. I guess it is not on the Breaking Bad Bus Tour.
I could have sworn the intersection mentioned in the article was Carlisle & Lead which is literally the top of Nob Hill, and a block from the center of the Nob Hill business district along Central, Ridgecrest, as I understand it, begins about a mile or so south of there, around Bandelier elementary school, but maybe I read it wrong or got the context wrong. Or maybe I am just wrong :-)

Old 09-27-2018, 01:14 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I could have sworn the intersection mentioned in the article was Carlisle & Lead which is literally the top of Nob Hill, and a block from the center of the Nob Hill business district along Central, Ridgecrest, as I understand it, begins about a mile or so south of there, around Bandelier elementary school, but maybe I read it wrong or got the context wrong. Or maybe I am just wrong :-)
That's pretty much right, but the neighborhood boundaries don't line up neatly. According to the official Neighborhood Association boundaries, Nob Hill is bounded by Lomas to the north, Girard to the west, and Washington to the east. The southern boundary runs along Garfield (one block south of Coal) from Girard to Morningside, then bumps another block south to Zuni for the last few blocks out to Washington.

The SE Heights neighborhood (which is basically Ridgecrest) is bounded by Richmond on the west (basically the west edge of Hyder Park, but for some reason also claims the southern three blocks of Nob Hill between Garfield and Silver. So I guess if you live between Girard, Silver and Garfield you get to choose whose meetings you go to?

Old 09-28-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
That's pretty much right, but the neighborhood boundaries don't line up neatly. According to the official Neighborhood Association boundaries, Nob Hill is bounded by Lomas to the north, Girard to the west, and Washington to the east. The southern boundary runs along Garfield (one block south of Coal) from Girard to Morningside, then bumps another block south to Zuni for the last few blocks out to Washington.

The SE Heights neighborhood (which is basically Ridgecrest) is bounded by Richmond on the west (basically the west edge of Hyder Park, but for some reason also claims the southern three blocks of Nob Hill between Garfield and Silver. So I guess if you live between Girard, Silver and Garfield you get to choose whose meetings you go to?
Ah, interesting.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Goofy yuppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque