Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felisconcolor View Post
While we are discussing President Trump's visit, I have a question about his choice of hotels.

Why did he choose to stay at the Hyatt Regency, as opposed to the Hotel Andaluz? I have never visited Albuquerque, so I am not fully informed, but I was under the impression that the Hotel Andaluz was the classy place to stay in Albuquerque.
The Hyatt Regency is still a pretty nice hotel. The lobbies and public spaces were renovated a few years ago and are very nice. I get the impression that the rooms and level of service are what's currently lacking there. The Hyatt Regency was a AAA Four-Diamond hotel for most of its existence since opening in 1990, but lost that designation in the early part of this decade.

Edit: here is a page with reviews, pics and info about the Presidential Suite on the top-floor of the Hyatt Regency.

https://www.suiteness.com/suites/uni...idential-suite

Hotel Andaluz has been a AAA Four-Diamond hotel since re-opening after its complete renovation in 2010. It also became part of the Curio Collection by Hilton group of upscale boutique hotels earlier this year. The hotel has thus gone back to its roots as a Hilton hotel. Hotel Andaluz is small, though, with only 107 rooms. The Hyatt Regency has nearly 400 rooms.

I'm a little confused though, because the news reports yesterday made it seem like he was gonna stay at the DoubleTree. That hotel just completed a complete renovation this summer.

As for his visit, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be so bad.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Deleted-- crossed with ABQAlex above.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 PM

192 posts, read 256,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'm as proud an American as you, my father, uncles, and grandfather all served in wars defending this country, but I don't see waving another country's flag as doing anything against our country's flag. We have people from many nations here, they all can wave their flags from time to time, and that's their right. There is a Scottish Highland Games coming up in Rio Rancho where the Scottish flag will be waving as it should.

New Mexico and Mexico have close ties, we have lots of Mexican citizens here legally, working and studying, they supply a huge proportion of the manpower in this country, we have a lot of trade going back and forth between NM and Mexico. Albuquerque has two sister cities in Mexico (Chihuahua and Guadalajara), we celebrate Mexican culture in many ways (I used to play in a couple of Mariachi groups and I'm pure Anglo), Día del los Muertos has become its own institution here, and I'm glad Mexicans are here providing much needed services. We are indebted to them. I've traveled extensively in Mexico and studied abroad there, was treated with amazing hospitality and friendship, and I believe Mexicans here should be treated the same. If they want to show pride in their country by waving a flag now and then I'm all for it. Good for them! I encourage it. It's part of the cultural diversity of our nation and should be celebrated. We look weak when we become intolerant of other people. What are you afraid of?
You're comparing apples and oranges. Since we are the most ethnically diverse country in the world people should wave flags of their home countries for festivals, parades, and things of the like. I am talking about waving the flag of a foreign country at a political event. Big difference.

Like yourself I have many family members who have fought for this flag and the country it represents. Some of them made the ultimate sacrifice.

I can't understand how people emigrate here for a better life, not only for themselves, but also their future generations yet wave the flag of the country they so desperately fled and left behind. Those are the people that disgust me not someone waving a scottish flag at a highlander game.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
They're religious, yet they support a man who has been married three times, cheated on each of those wives, and thought (and perhaps still thinks) it is Two Corinthians rather than Second Corinthians .
Oh, thanks for telling us he cheated on all 3 wives. Glad you let us know this, does wife number 3 know this? Just asking !!!!! If she does she is as big a fool as Hillary.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,873 times
I am pretty sure he stayed at the Doubletree, not the Hyatt.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
I am pretty sure he stayed at the Doubletree, not the Hyatt.
Yes, I don't know how I came up with the Hyatt.

Thank you for the correction. And thanks, too, to ABQalex for also catching my mistake and for all of the additional information.

I have a lot to learn.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
I can't understand how people emigrate here for a better life, not only for themselves, but also their future generations yet wave the flag of the country they so desperately fled and left behind. Those are the people that disgust me
So how many Mexican flags did you see at yesterday's event? I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Many Mexicans working here didn't desperately flee, they are just here to work, and they go back and forth to Mexico to see family all the time, perfectly legally, keeping their Mexican citizenship. They don't owe any allegiance to the US. How do you know the story behind any person waving a flag? I have no problem seeing other flags being waved.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
So how many Mexican flags did you see at yesterday's event? I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Many Mexicans working here didn't desperately flee, they are just here to work, and they go back and forth to Mexico to see family all the time, perfectly legally, keeping their Mexican citizenship. They don't owe any allegiance to the US. How do you know the story behind any person waving a flag? I have no problem seeing other flags being waved.
So they don't owe any allegiance to a country that allows them to come here and make money that they send back to their homeland? Is that what you mean when you are talking about people that wave their foreign flag. It was abundantly clear the last time Trump was here with the city having a riot and waving those very flags.
They should be grateful just for the opportunity to come here legally and work to support their families. It also gives them a fast track too becoming a citizen, which it absolutely should since I am pro immigration.....if done legally.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,286,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
If you don't like the president then by all means voice your displeasure, create signs, stage rallies, or simply don't vote for him. That is what this country is all about.

Waiving a flag from another country is a slap in the face too all of the people who have sacrificed their lives fighting for this great country that we live in. Fighting for the rights that we all now enjoy. If people are so proud of a different country that they feel the need to **** on the flag of the United States then by all means they should go back to that country they are so proud of.

Signed,
Proud American
You do feel the same way about the Confederate battle flag, correct? That it's a slap in the face of all the people who sacrificed their lives fighting for this great country we live in? And that waving it is the equivalent of ******* on the flag of the United States?

Signed,
Also A Proud American

Old 09-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
You do feel the same way about the Confederate battle flag, correct? That it's a slap in the face of all the people who sacrificed their lives fighting for this great country we live in? And that waving it is the equivalent of ******* on the flag of the United States?

Signed,
Also A Proud American
I guess you missed the point where I agreed about what ABQAlex posted about the confederate flag. You shouldn't be so quick to make assumptions about one post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque