Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,126 times

Advertisements

Instacart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 PM

192 posts, read 257,434 times
I think it's pure hit or miss at this point. You can go to the same grocery store at the exact same time and everything will be different depending on the day and what shipments came in that night.

I'm happy too see that all stores are limiting items which can only help as this situation will keep getting worse.

Stay safe everyone and please heed these warnings.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:16 AM

102,251 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Wow, 2-3 weeks is good, I'm just hoping to make one trip per week. I'm used to going a few times a week for fresh produce.

I went back to Trader Joe's today (Tuesday) and there was a small line when I arrived around 10:00, but none when I left. It went quickly though and they kept the store uncrowded, leaving alternate checkout lines empty for added "breathing room." But a few food items I wanted were unavailable even though generally the shelves looked well stocked. The cheapest items were understandably the hottest ones.
Trader Joe's gets trucks daily at around 8 a.m. 9-10 is a good time to go. They won't be getting any paper goods for another couple of weeks, but they restock on grocery items daily. They're the one show in town that's reliable that way. Well, I say "in town", but I"m in Santa Fe. They all seem to operate on more or less the same schedule, though. You can ask the staff at yours; they're very helpful.

Also, the dollar stores get TP deliveries on Sunday mornings, enough to last into the afternoon. I've also had surprisingly good luck at Sprouts, for everything but paper goods; fresh meats (even when all the other stores got cleaned out of fresh meat a couple of weekends ago), a good selection of frozen veggies, of course fresh veggies, and they're currently selling quart bottles of high-end water (electrolyte water, like is recommended if you get stomach upsets from the flu) for $1/bottle, which is something like $1.20 cheaper than usual. Sprouts doesn't seem to be having any supply problems at all, except for paper goods & cleaning supplies.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 AM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Instacart.
Instacart workers are planning to strike starting Monday:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ty-gear-2020-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Trader Joe's gets trucks daily at around 8 a.m. 9-10 is a good time to go. They won't be getting any paper goods for another couple of weeks, but they restock on grocery items daily. They're the one show in town that's reliable that way. Well, I say "in town", but I"m in Santa Fe. They all seem to operate on more or less the same schedule, though. You can ask the staff at yours; they're very helpful.

Also, the dollar stores get TP deliveries on Sunday mornings, enough to last into the afternoon. I've also had surprisingly good luck at Sprouts, for everything but paper goods; fresh meats (even when all the other stores got cleaned out of fresh meat a couple of weekends ago), a good selection of frozen veggies, of course fresh veggies, and they're currently selling quart bottles of high-end water (electrolyte water, like is recommended if you get stomach upsets from the flu) for $1/bottle, which is something like $1.20 cheaper than usual. Sprouts doesn't seem to be having any supply problems at all, except for paper goods & cleaning supplies.
My local Sprouts in ABQ was pretty well stocked except for OJ, eggs, and many bread items. And they weren't busy at all when I visited around 7:30 a.m. last week. TP is starting to reappear at least at some Walgreens.

I've noticed in some stores people will wait to enter an aisle until you leave, because it's impossible to keep the 6-foot rule when passing someone. Still sometimes you can't help it, when workers are stocking shelves, and other people are oblivious, and I find myself holding my breath at times. Limiting the frequency of trips and shopping at less busy times will help slow the spread.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:53 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,633,438 times
Quote:
Instacart workers are planning to strike starting Monday:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...ty-gear-2020-3
Delivery drivers not having proper protection is a concern to me, as well as hazard pay. I've been tipping generously for all my deliveries during this outbreak. These people are risking their lives and good health to continue making a living and making ends meet. I don't drive and I'm absolutely grateful for all the delivery services and ride-sharing services that we have nowadays.

My grocery delivery overall went very well on Wednesday. I was happy to get most everything I ordered, about 96 percent.

However, I was a bit annoyed that it was not all packed in bags, but I don't know if they're running out or what. It necessitated me and the delivery person having to get everything out from her trunk and into my reusable cloth bags. That was unnecessary lingering and close contact that I would like to avoid. I would've preferred that she could've just handed me the bags and that's it. She did sign for my order instead of me having to sign for it on her phone, so that was good.

Most of my Walmart and Target deliveries since the plastic bag ordinance took effect have still had tons of their thicker bags used. It was rare that these bags were really packed like they are capable of being. Either that or almost nothing was in a bag. It was an annoyance either way. I'm glad that the plastic bag ordinance is being relaxed at this time of crisis. I hope workers at the stores will now be packing everything into bags for home deliveries.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times
Quote:
Several stores have started offering special hours for seniors only (over 60), but I'm hearing these have become some of the most crowded hours at participating stores. I would advise seniors to avoid shopping during those hours and try mid-mornings Tuesday-Thursday. The "senior hours" could end up spreading more virus by packing seniors into the stores all at once.

Trader Joe's has shortened their hours which means more crowding. I saw a line of people waiting to get in the store on Holly/Ventura at about 9:20 this morning, so turned around and left.

Share your experiences-- when are you finding are the best and worst times to do your food shopping in Albuquerque?
I hope you can find a good time to shop. We have certain hours here for seniors as well but apparently the lines are pretty long and the hours are usually very early in the morning before it is even light. the best we have but again, you have to have time is Sam's. They have special shopping and they will bring it out to your car but the hours are 7am and we know of someone that got there at 6:30 am and handed the list to the helper. it still took about an hour. Do they have that at your Sams?

Old 03-27-2020, 06:10 PM

312 posts, read 278,224 times
I was at Walgreen's yesterday picking up prescriptions. No line, thankfully. The guy asked if I had a rewards number and I replied yes but I didn't want to touch the keyboard on the payment machine. He said OK. But I had to confirm (enter) my phone number or I couldn't get the drugs. He wouldn't do it for me. There was no hand sanitizer, he said.

My bad for not having a glove but I think that is idiotic for a pharmacy (that should know better) to require all customers to touch their keyboard. This is the Walgreen's at Lomas and Carlisle. A good pharmacy but a bad policy even in the best of times.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:16 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,520,607 times
Ruth4Truth - wow, my wife and I are running out of TP and it seems like Alamogordo has about 6-8 Dollar General/Dollar Tree stores within city limits. I might try the Sunday morning idea at Dollar General for TP. Seriously, we are mulling over our next move here!

Old 03-28-2020, 01:17 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
I was at Walgreen's yesterday picking up prescriptions. No line, thankfully. The guy asked if I had a rewards number and I replied yes but I didn't want to touch the keyboard on the payment machine. He said OK. But I had to confirm (enter) my phone number or I couldn't get the drugs. He wouldn't do it for me. There was no hand sanitizer, he said.

My bad for not having a glove but I think that is idiotic for a pharmacy (that should know better) to require all customers to touch their keyboard. This is the Walgreen's at Lomas and Carlisle. A good pharmacy but a bad policy even in the best of times.
I was at a different Walgreens and the pharmacy assistant entered the numbers for me, which made me feel silly making her do it. I had a card that could be scanned but forgot it in the car. Just don't touch your face and wash your hands when you get home.

As an improvised glove I used a plastic produce bag and stuck my hand inside.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,520,607 times
As an improvised glove I used a plastic produce bag and stuck my hand inside.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque