Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 01:25 AM

90 posts, read 251,166 times

Advertisements

I was going through some threads and i happened upon the "what do you hate most about Albuquerque?" thread. i found almost no comments about why people actually hate Albuquerque just a bunch of why Austin is better then Albuquerque. It was the dumbest argument that got really ugly. Its not the first time i have seen this in different city threads, but Albuquerque threads seem to get it the most. Why? i would really like to know Especially when most of the negative stuff we talk about i almost never see. and the positive stuff is never talked about in these A vs. B threads.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 02:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,699,800 times
Some people that leave Albuquerque for whatever reason feel the need to justify themselves by proclaiming the superiority of wherever it is they went. The same could be said of those that move to Albuquerque from elsewhere proclaiming the superiority of ABQ over wherever they came from.

I really wouldn't be too concerned about it, nor would I search too deeply for an answer that you're not likely to find.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 AM

it just makes me sad...lol living in La Union (which is right next to El Paso) for 18 years i really hated El Paso. ABQ is a god send, to youth like me, i like seeing progress and things done smart. i never got that from El Paso, it was never pretty. but the people are so awesome. i have many friends there and they will probably never leave El Paso. which i am fine with. i still like going to see them and going out i just would never leave ABQ either, its me, its got Denver mixed with Portland Mixed with Phoenix which Makes it Albuquerque! El Paso is not "me" i guess. with that said they are completely different from one another you cant compare (unless population) witch shouldn't matter, its the quality of life how YOU live it. people are different, i cant see how people in these blogs don't see it and it brigs out the wost of them and it make us ALL look bad.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Some people that leave Albuquerque for whatever reason feel the need to justify themselves by proclaiming the superiority of wherever it is they went. The same could be said of those that move to Albuquerque from elsewhere proclaiming the superiority of ABQ over wherever they came from.

I really wouldn't be too concerned about it, nor would I search too deeply for an answer that you're not likely to find.
I am Concerned considering blogs are extremely popular especially now that the housing market is crashing and people get picky about were to move, and do a little bit more research and then they stumble on these threads. i wont find an answer you right about that. its human behavior

Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,289 times
Shmikker,

I used to get discouraged too about the negative posts on the New Mexico and ABQ forums; at times I nearly left because of it. HOWEVER....stick around ... I think you will find a lot more positive than negative stuff posted here.

This forum is a wealth of information for people relocating to NM or wanting to relocate to NM someday, and as time has gone by, we have gotten a really neat group of members here who love NM and don't apologize for looking for the good and not so much the bad.

I learn more information every day that I come here...but more than that I feel good knowing how many people out there that love this state like I do.

I try to overlook the negative posts, knowing NM is not for everyone and some people feel the need to vent about how bad it is. Don't let that get you down.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:35 AM

170 posts, read 648,594 times
I think those threads are ugly because people who don't like ABQ have constructive criticism (for the most part) and people who love it here don't want to hear it and go and bash the person who brought on the criticism for liking another place better. I find it hard to believe that those who come here with stars in their eyes about how everything is good here and HAS to be good here because they moved here where they were worse off. That may be somewhat true but there are always problems no matter where anyone lives and I guess some people just don't want to or fail to realize it =\

Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,961,538 times
Schmikker, my perception is considerably different in reading these forums. I have found that the Albuquerque forum tends to be one of the better forums on this site and is full of people giving their helpful opinions, often more positive than negative. And it's a pretty balanced site. Have you read the threads carefully?

If you want to read some real vitriol take a look at some of the other forums like Arizona, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

108 posts, read 271,492 times
Default Finally a voice of reason.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybunn View Post
I think those threads are ugly because people who don't like ABQ have constructive criticism (for the most part) and people who love it here don't want to hear it and go and bash the person who brought on the criticism for liking another place better. I find it hard to believe that those who come here with stars in their eyes about how everything is good here and HAS to be good here because they moved here where they were worse off. That may be somewhat true but there are always problems no matter where anyone lives and I guess some people just don't want to or fail to realize it =\
Thank you for this! I don't believe the OP read the thread about hating ABQ very well. Only the last pages had anything about Austin. I never once said it was better than ABQ. It is better for me and that is it! I feel more comfortable and welcomed here. Some feel that about ABQ and that is their choice. I completely agree that some transplants were unhappy in their former residence and now feel that ABQ is sooooooo much better.

Alot of posters from Cali talk about how that hate Cali and love NM. I for one love Cali. I lived there for quite a while and love it. The traffic never bothered me and I had to drive on the 405 at rush hour every day. It took 2 hours to get to work. But I didn't mind. Some would rather die than do this. It just all depends on your likes and dislikes. I think more people need to realize these posts are just opinions. Facts can be found to support or break down an argument. So, in reality these are just everyone's opinions and should be taken as such!

Old 06-01-2008, 11:24 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,024,547 times
Quote:

I agree with your post and I think that most of the so-called bashing is somewhat constructive criticism and some people are tired of waiting for ABQ to grow up, I've heard it before and in some ways ABQ has a hard time progressing and getting stuff accomplished.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,087 times
Quote:

Since when is bashing criticism? Saying Albuquerque's crime is horrible is not constructive, it is simply bashing and untrue. Saying that Albuquerque needs to work on seedier parts of town that have large amounts of crime is constructive.

Saying APS sucks is also not constructive. Saying APS struggles in certain parts and is largely underfunded would be better to say. We all agree here that APS needs more funding, but where is that funding supposed to come from?

Albuquerque is much more progressive than people give it credit for, but keep in mind that the state only has 2 Million People, so tax money runs out much faster than it would in say...California, Texas, etc. We can only do what we can afford.

Albuquerque is constantly improving its bad areas...look at the war zone. Crime has dramatically decreased...albiet its still not a very desirable part of town and still very low income, but it is 10X better than it was just 5 years ago.

Look at business, we have landed more and more new businesses. Sure, Austin may have gotten more, but what does this have to do with Albuquerque and ABQ's progress????

People come on here to bash, not to give constructive criticism. It is the local regular posters (mortimer, enjoy ep, abq convict, 6ft3, towanda, etc)that actually love the city and the state but still give criticisms. We all realize there is progress to be made, but bashing accomplishes nothing. And for all the bashers, what do you propose to FIX all these problems you like to present and exaggerate?

ILOVEAUSTIN, I don't consider you a basher. You are a person with your own opinion. You don't ever insult Albuquerque in a destructive manner, and I appreciate that. Sure we don't always see eye to eye, but I feel like you give contributions to this board that other bashing posters don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque