Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 10:24 AM

55 posts, read 18,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I too moved here from somewhere else, to take a job away from a local, so I can't blame you for wanting to do the same, but let's not claim to be "local" before even moving here
The difference is, I will attempt to assimilate into New Mexico's culture. I have no intention of bringing my Midwestern sensibilities with me. Except for perhaps kindness, which seems to be sorely lacking on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2024, 11:44 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
The difference is, I will attempt to assimilate into New Mexico's culture. I have no intention of bringing my Midwestern sensibilities with me. Except for perhaps kindness, which seems to be sorely lacking on this forum.
Is it kind to blame Californians, when they are creating jobs in New Mexico? They can assimilate here as easily as anyone else. There are a lot of cultural ties between New Mexico and Southern California. Lots of people here have family there. If you want to work in the film industry, be prepared to meet a lot of Angelenos.

Our housing costs have shot up, just like everywhere else, due to the pandemic creating a shortage of building materials and labor, and jacking up the cost of everything. A lot of people have moved out of Albuquerque because of drastic rent increases in the last couple of years. It's not because of Californians.

Old 03-10-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Is it kind to blame Californians, when they are creating jobs in New Mexico?
I don't know, I'm kinda done thinking about it.. I'm just ready to get out there and begin enjoying the sunshine and the mountains!

Old 03-13-2024, 09:43 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
I don't know, I'm kinda done thinking about it.. I'm just ready to get out there and begin enjoying the sunshine and the mountains!
Saddle up and get on the Santa Fe Trail, there's no time like the present!

Old 03-13-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Saddle up and get on the Santa Fe Trail, there's no time like the present!
I wish we had a "like" button, so instead I'll give you a +1

Old 03-16-2024, 04:56 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,234,050 times
wow....way off-topic.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
wow....way off-topic.
I also agree somewhat with your observations about Central, it's the main artery through town, and where the houseless tend to congregate.

As for the "war zone", I never heard it called that until the 90's, I'm from Farmington, but have come and gone a few times.

Alb. had the highest murder rate in nation in the 70's seemed mostly to be crazy Mexicans.

The late 80's, thing were bad all over, highest murder rate, nationally, since great depression, in Albuquerque, through late 80's and well into the 90's, Hatian and Cubano gangs probably gave the war zone it's rep, as they were both very territorial and aggressive.

It's really not very bad now, the hordes of deracinated make it look bad, but it used to be way worse.

I worked in Albuquerque in the 80's, and again in the 90's, convenience store clerks were getting killed about 1 or 2 a week, mostly in the university area, stores in the war zone had cameras and clerks behind bulletproof glass, everyplace else should have been getting combat pay.

Live in RR now, and just reading the news, most of the action seems to be in the NE Heights, and the North valley, along with the usual suspects in the South valley, the war zone itself seems pretty quiet, knock on wood, ouachalet.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:53 AM

986 posts, read 533,402 times
It's not very fascinating if you live there. I lived in Abq in a really nice area, but you can't stay locked in within its boundaries 24/7. Abq is a very crime infested city, make no mistake about that.

I really like Abq, but that comes from a mindset that ignores the reality of life there. To be sure, Abq is not the only city in America struggling w/ crime, but it is so embedded within the culture that you can encounter it anywhere at any time. Whatever the op is used to back East is of no help when you live in Abq. It's at all levels of society, and most of the blame comes from the state legislature which allows it to happen.

People should be guaranteed safety within their home and neighborhood, and that idea is just not in operation anywhere in New Mexico, much less in Abq. It's a generational issue, that's the only way I can describe it. Anyone who thinks it isn't that bad now is not keeping up w/ the crime reports I see daily in the online news reports. To me, it is completely out of hand. I left a few years ago due to the crime and stay in touch by reading the online news every day and keeping in contact w/ my friends there.

Nothing has changed in the 4 years I have been gone. It is bad, it is seriously bad, and that is very easy to verify. I don't have a grudge, and I am not out to put the city down because I love the food and the art scene, but personal safety is number one in my life, and I did not feel safe there. I'd move back in a second if the city was safer, but it is what it is.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Abq is a very crime infested city, make no mistake about that.
It's at all levels of society, and most of the blame comes from the state legislature which allows it to happen.
No different than other Dem controlled cities. Why do people there keep voting in the same criminals, er, politicians? Do they thrive on drama and chaos? Do the drug/human trafficking cartels control New Mexico like they do Old Mexico?

Old 04-08-2024, 04:37 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,324,019 times
Around 2005 I asked an older person what Albuquerque was like in the 1970s and 1980s. She said it was more charming and had less crime. She was talking about the city overall, not any particular place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque