Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM

32 posts, read 74,260 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at jobs in Albuquerque through my employer, Fidelity Investments. We have a site in Mesa Del Sol. I am thinking of taking a trip to see the area, see if I'd like it. Does anyone have any info they can share about this area to live/work in? I understand it's a new booming area and am wondering if you think a Bostonian transplant would like it there. I hate the winter, hate it, detest it. I am also single, 42, no kids and looking for a change in my life. Been in Boston all my life.
Any and all feedback/advice appreciated. Also how is housing? Rents in Boston are ridiculous: $1200 for a 2 BR no heat/hw included. Is renting decent?

Last edited by catsnmusic; 11-11-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I moved here from Boston in 1992 to go to college.

It was a change - things are more laid back here. People actually acknowledge you. I couldn't stop taking pictures of the Sandias the first two wks I lived here. It was August, and I would just sit out in the sun and soak it up. The weather is much nicer.

We do have winter, and it can snow, but nothing like Boston. You might never see a dirty snow mountain in a grocery store parking lot again.

It is much more a car culture here. Right before I moved, I lived in Somerville (between Porter and Davis Squares), and worked at Harvard. I was around the corner from Star Market. I could walk pretty much anywhere I needed to, and could hop right on the T when I wanted to go into Boston. There, public transportation was so common, and just about everyone used it. It was often easier than driving somewhere. Here, while they are pushing it, it just is not the same. That was my big disappointment - but one I got over after I bought a little beater car to get around in.

Hope this helps!

Oh, wanted to add, if you do want to live somewhere that still retains an urban feel (walking places, lots of people) you may wish to look at the area around UNM/Nob Hill. Living on campus that first year and being able to walk to shops and places to eat really helped cushion my culture shock.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
There are huge plans for Mesa Del Sol, but it's slow going on the development. Is the Fidelity development still on track?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Thank you Lisdol, very helpful info.
Rybert, yes, Fidelity is still slated to move in that area.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Catsnmusic, let me address the winter issue since you hate it, you say.

I grew up in Mass, and lived for a very long time in NYC. Winters here are a piece of cake in comparison. BUT just how much do you hate winter? If its strong enough to make you
want to escape all cold weather and snow, you may have to think twice.

Temps can get cold here in the winter, below freezing most nights. And it can occasionally snow. Usually small amounts that melt pretty rapidly. But occasionally a bigger fall. This is high desert, not low like Phoenix which is considerably milder.

The compensating factors are that it's mostly sunny, it doesn't snow often, there are virtually none of those dreary icy cloudy days that you have in New England, and the deserts start moderating in February.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
one of the best features about ABQ is the weather. Yes, the winters can be chilly but the sun shines most of the time. The worst part of the weather is the wind;;;yuck!!!!

You will find NM very different from Boston is many ways, but it should be a pleasant change. No, it isn't very urban, like mentioned the area around the university is the closest to urban.

There are lots of trendy developments with neat shopping in the Paseo Del Norte area...even then you call see for miles..Albuquerque is surrounded by moutians on a couple of sides and mesa to the west..

Come with an open mind,expecting a new life and life style and you will be fine, if you look for Boston in Alb, you will hate it.

Nita

Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Hi ABQSunseeker,
I hate this about winter: freezing my butt off everywhere I go, no matter what time of day it is. Sleety, icy, dangerous driving, snowbanks everywhere you turn, sheets of ice on the sidewalks everywhere you go after a snowfall. Mostly it's the temperature. I hate the 10 degree days getting blown to bits walking around south station where I work. Don't even want to walk two blocks to go get lunch so I stay in.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:48 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
I think you'll find our winters weak in comparison.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM

How about housing? Rentals? Prices in Boston are outrageous.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:57 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I used to work at One Financial Center, so I kwym about winter and ice and winds.

Housing is a lot cheaper here. And comparatively newer, if you are used to turn of the century triple deckers, or even the old two family homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque