Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

I'm very happily expecting my first baby in December and will be moving to the beautiful East Mountains from the East Coast in September. I'd love to hear from people who have done this recently -- any tips for dealing with the high altitude in late pregnancy or more general recommendations? I also don't know how best to find a good doctor to help with late pregnancy and delivery. My current OB/GYN -- whom I LOVE -- doesn't know anyone who practices in NM. Since this is my first baby, I prefer to stick with an OB rather than a midwife. Can anyone help me out with recommendations for (or against!) OB groups or particular doctors? Which of the three city hospitals would you recommend (I'm leaning towards Presbyterian)? It's kind of a scary prospect to combine a move to a new state with a new baby, so THANK YOU for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Albuquerque East Mountains

Read the East Mountain Telegraph or The Independent they might might have ads or phone numbers on Doctors. The East Mountains usually get Snow by the End of October and the coldest months with below zero weather sometimes 20 below will be the End of December and January and February and they get lots of snow in the winter. The East Mountains my favorite area and the people are nice and they use to have great Schools i havent kept up and lots of Activities in the Summer. They just build a Wal Mart Supercenter in Edgewood. If you buy land between Moriarty and Estancia buy West of 41. I would recommend rent or rent to own and explore N.M. before you make up your mind. Some of the Motels sometimes rent by the week or month. Feel free to email me if you need more info on the East Mountain area. pintada kid at webtv.net

Old 07-18-2008, 02:51 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
Congratulations on your first expected ilsaa. The only altitude specific thing I've heard related to childbirth here is that many of the babies are born with a lot of color (pinks and purples) and normalize within a few hours of birth. Nothing harmful though. They warned us, but our two daughters were born with beautiful color, so we saw no evidence.

Check out this link:Directory of pregnancy services, resources, classes, and support networking in Albuquerque New Mexico (http://www.albuquerquebirthnetwork.org/directory.asp - broken link) For some resources.

I'm going to pass on some information just to share our experience. I understand your interest in sticking with a Doctor, so please don't feel I'm trying to sway you.

The woman's hospital on Montgomery Blvd was very open to our birthing plans. We actually labored at home and then delivered in their midwifery department within the hospital. We felt this allowed us the comfort of a natural birth within the safety of the hospital's full resources, including a brand new NICU. We thankfully didn't need it, but nice to know they're making the investment.

We took birthing classes at the Body,Mind & Spirit place (listed in the resources link above) and really felt prepared, present and as comfortable as can be, given the process (easy for the guy to say, right?). It was an opportunity to connect with other couples facing the same experiences and decisions we were, some of whom have become play dates for our girls now. Although it was a wholly positive experience, I will say that without being directly negative toward fully medical birth, they were very positive and leaning towards empowering moms to have the birth they wanted (which in their minds was natural).

Have you considered a Doula? I don't think it would negate having a Doctor oversee your delivery. She's basically a person with experience in birth that is there to be your advocate for your wants (birthing plan) and needs during the birth. When people come to you saying they want to do this or that, she can calmly relate the reasons and possible consequences. They have 'Doula Teas' that are sort of speed dating for Doulas. They each present themselves, talking about their experience and outlook on birth and then you can approach the one's that appeal and basically interview them to find out about the specifics. They have some of them at the Baby's R Us on Hotel Circle (South East of the intersection of Lomas and Eubank and North of I-40). Also, I think the Body, Mind and Spirit sight keeps a schedule of classes and events.

Best wishes to you and your baby for a wonderful birth experience and welcome to Albuquerque.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:03 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
I moved during both of my pregnancies. Talk about adding stress! We found both of our doctors by talking to my husband's new co-workers. I also asked around at the playground with my second. There are probably mom groups around the area you are moving--you can often find them on-line, or by calling the library (I have no idea why, but librarians seem to know these things!). Anyhow, I'm sure a moms' group would love to help you out--even before you move. Both contacting a moms' group and finding out if there are any young families at your husband's new job will also help you begin forming a "network," as well as a way to make friends right away. This is super important, especially if you don't have any family in the area (we didn't for either pregnancy). Good luck on the move and relax!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Here is a link to the MOMS Clubs in the area. There are probably other groups as well (i.e. MOPS) Albuquerque Moms: Local MOMS Club chapters

Old 07-21-2008, 03:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
I gave birth at Pres last summer. Dr. Lowe, who has an office in Edgewood right near the intersection of Old 66 and NM344, was the attending dr (though my baby came so fast that I, my husband, and the nurse delivered the baby). He did make it to the room for the rest of the delivery etc...He seemed very nice, the little I saw of him. You don't really pay attention to much but the baby at that point.

My insurance did not not have any in network providers in the E Mtns, so I had to go to ABQ for my medical care. My regular OBGYN was in a group based at first at the Pres office on Zuni, and then up at the far end of San Mateo, right behind Eye Associates where San Mateo becomes Osuna. I saw either her or her PA for my appts. I also saw perinatologists in Presbyterian Downtown in the office building part. The staff and physicians were very nice and competent at all facilities. Parking was a bit of a pain at Pres downtown but if you got there with time to spare it was not impossible.

I thought Pres was great, and had a lot of programs that I might have taken advantage of if I were a first time mom.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,720 times
You can find a midwife in the East Mountains at www edenbirth com. Lots of good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque