Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 05:00 AM

908 posts, read 2,855,732 times

Advertisements

As a person who connects with tourists often, I can tell you that there seems to be a nexus between New York, Virginia and here. I completely agree with the posts that recommend you visit, but my empirical experience is that Albuquerque reflects favorably to East Coasters. There was a thread awhile back where people expressed this intangible feeling to being in an 'enchanted' land (not the fairies and pixie dust kind, although some of the local politics will make you wish you had some.). I get that a lot from turistas. There's something about the mix out here. It's this combination of weather, geography, cultures, food, activities, views and unpretentiousness that just feels unique. It invites and rewards exploration. You just want to check stuff out, and when you find it, you think: "Man, I wonder if anyone else knows this is here... this is great!".

Is there crime? Yes. Are there bad drivers? Yes. Do local politics sometimes seem like they're on a scale delineated by 'insane' on one side and 'stupid' on the other? Yes. But these are universal truths. Right now there's probably a guy in St. Petersburg complaining about the crime in Moscow. As someone used to the big city you already have the skills to take advantage of the good things a place has to offer (finding the good hangouts) while avoiding or minimizing the bad. Plus you can't beat the location. Draw a six hour driving/one hour flight circle from Albuquerque and the list of possibilities includes Phoenix, Denver, Las Cruces and everything in between with such diverse activities as skiing in the Rockies, visiting a foreign country, major and minor league sports, Native American ruins and pueblos, water parks, hiking in amazing country and so on.

Last weekend I was demonstrating at a National Park (Petroglyph, on the west side of Albuquerque.) and met 3 different people who were moving to Albuquerque. One was actually killing time waiting to here back on her real estate offer, one was moving after a vacation out here and one was getting a jump start on her first year at UNM.

Of course everyone's experience is personal and unique, but I just wanted to relate that in my experience people from out East enjoy the area's combination of qualities. Don't let the nay sayers tell you your glass is only half full out here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 AM

63 posts, read 274,434 times
Thanks for all of the replies everyone. They have been very helpful.

Does anybody have anything else to add?

My next question would be: where are some good places to live in ABQ? Obviously this depends on commute but as mentioned previously I'm going to try working from home.

I'd like to be somewhat close to people my age (23 in Feb), without paying much more than 600-700$/mo in rent.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM

266 posts, read 912,320 times
Albuquerque doesn't seem to have much of a young singles scene--but that could partly be my perspective because I'm older, married, and have a child. You might have a hard time meeting people, especially if you are going to be working from home. That's not to say that it's not doable--I think you'll just have to work a little harder to find that young scene than you would in some other cities with large single populations. You probably want to rent close to the UNM area.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,226,399 times
Singles scene is just fine... check out Duke City Fix for more on that... it's a younger forum/website.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 120,514 times
I moved here from a huge city after I graduated university in 2005, and I remember driving up Yale after my first night staying at a hotel near the airport and thinking "there's nothing here! What have I done?!"

I'd lived in a city with a similar population size before, but never one so flat and sprawling. It felt empty and devoid of any center. But once I 'd settled in I was really happy to be here, and I still am happy 4 years later. The surrounding landscape is second to none, and the road trip opportunities are unparalleled. I've become more relaxed and more into spending time with friends and family than I was in a city - I don't feel some weird pressure to constantly be somewhere or doing something new.

Things that I don't like about living here:

1. The shopping. Believe me, I'm not a shopaholic - but I like to buy a few new outfits for work and play once a year or so. I find it's HARD to find good stuff here. Most of it's Big Box retailers, or really nice but really expensive stores or boutiques. There aren't enough middle-of-the-road or thrift stores around. The internet is your friend for that.

2. The strong sun. I have permanent red blotches over my cheekbones from where the sun hits and constantly burns my face, even with sunscreen. It gets in your eyes when you're driving, walking, sitting in class. Urgh!

3. The isolation. Sometimes feeling so far from anywhere can be really lonely - sometimes really great, too. The lack of nightlife is the main thing - I never thought of myself as a nightlife person at all until I couldn't just go out to some huge bar on a Friday night and meet a load of new people if I wanted to. And as for something, anything, to do at New Years - forget it.

4. The driving. Never thought I'd miss public transport and being stuck on hot subways surrounded by crowds of commuters until I moved here. Now I hate having to drive everywhere, particularly because of how badly many people here drive. Public transportation has got a LOT better though, and I love the size and accessibility of Abq airport. 10 minutes from my house!

5. Meeting people. A lot of people here seem to have a ready-make network because they grew up here, so they have school friends, college friends, work friends, and their families and their siblings' families. I didn't know anyone when I moved here, and without being a student at UNM I'm not sure how I would have met people. Again, the internet helps hugely. I did make friends eventually and met my husband here too I think people are at first more shy about, or less interested in, making friends outside of their familiar group.

Stuff I love about Abq:

1. The weather, for the most part. I'd rather be oppressed by sun than by constant damp and cold. When we get rain and thunder, it's great fun instead of being annoying

2. The quiet and the proximity to the outdoors.

3. Not having to carry rain gear all the time!

4. The people, now that I've settled in and made great friends. Some great counter- and sub-cultures here: goth, environmental, cyber, literary, outdoorsy. You'll easily find your niche.

5. Inter-generational mixing. I don't feel as stuck with my own age groups, which I found suffocating in a city. I like being around families and kids as well as singles my own age.

6. Pace of life. Much slower - I walk to and from work every day, take my own food to work, and come home and hang out with the dog or read or hike. That, I feel, is much more personally satisfying that trying to constantly impress in a city environment. I also get to live in a 2 bedroom place right near downtown and the university for $850 a month.

I miss cities and visit New York and Seattle and New Orleans whenever I can - but as soon as I leave, I miss it here.

Good luck!

Last edited by wee_sassenach; 11-02-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:34 AM

519 posts, read 1,698,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Singles scene is just fine... check out Duke City Fix for more on that... it's a younger forum/website.
Supposedly the "singles' scene" is on Match.com. That's what I heard anyway. I'd like to stay away from all things equaling internet dating. But I'm certainly not in the singles' scene ... I wonder if I'll ever get my life back, or if I am doomed to a romance with my office/papers/professional development ... I know, I know .. I picked my poison...

Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,226,399 times
No... I think DCF may be able to lead transplants to different things happening in the city. I wouldn't necessarily go on there in hopes of "hooking-up."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque