Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed.....Home construction is now back to normal in Rio Rancho.

As I took a drive threw Rio Rancho and Bernalillo today near the new Wal-Mart, there is alot of homes going up in that community. Tons actually, same threw north Rio Rancho...

Watch, at the end of the month how many permits have been issued... I'm assuming it will be higher than any month in the past year.

Altough Albuquerque doesnt seem to be building.. well in the Ventana Area where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:11 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,556 times
An area just south of Ventana Ranch at Universe & Paseo called "The Trails" is booming. Over 100 permits in November alone. Haven't heard about December, but this area was dead last year is now building like crazy.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
Yea I saw that... but no where like in Rio Rancho. When I first was interested in Ventana West I remember counting 69 houses under construction in one subdivision.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM

58 posts, read 181,290 times
Yeah I'm in the Loma Colorado subdivision and they have definitley stepped up home building in the last few months, though they are still not building inventory homes as they were in the past, only homes to order. At our last HOA meeting Pulte reps stated that the original completion of early 2013 has been pushed to late 2014 based based on current build rates. Still waiting for some more retail near the Lowes though (crossing fingers for grocery store).

Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,983 times
^Great. I'm only aware of what's being built in ABQ - but it's just an absurd waste if people are continuing to have new houses built when there are so many homes that sit vacant/foreclosed in the ABQ/R.R. area. The demand for tract housing whose main architectural feature is a giant garage door, in a sea of strip malls and chain restaurants always baffles me.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
Join the club.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
but it's just an absurd waste if people are continuing to have new houses built when there are so many homes that sit vacant/foreclosed in the ABQ/R.R. area.
That's what is so great about my country. I have a choice. Hopefully without someone trying to dictate where I should live...

Rich

Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,659 times
You have to share the resources though.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
^Great. I'm only aware of what's being built in ABQ - but it's just an absurd waste if people are continuing to have new houses built when there are so many homes that sit vacant/foreclosed in the ABQ/R.R. area. The demand for tract housing whose main architectural feature is a giant garage door, in a sea of strip malls and chain restaurants always baffles me.
If these empty houses were really viable prospects, they wouldn't be empty while
new construction continues.

So what is it that makes them so unattractive vs. the "giant garage doors"?
Bad schools? Too near the war zone? Overpriced? Poor road access? Neighborhoods
run down?

Not everyone wants to be an "Urban Pioneer" or to live in the midst of "Club Row".
Frankly, I think it would be a really poor decision to move a family into a "Transitional"
area and unnecessarily subject kids to gang pressures, open drug sales, etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,983 times
Poncho,

The government has dictated where and how you live through Euclidean zoning, which mandates by law a separation of uses, and thereby unsustainable development patterns. It's a fallacy to think that the current building form you see in american cities is a result of any free choice. Developers of sprawling, unwalkable subdivisions often don't have to pay the infrastructure costs associated with such inefficient development, and if they do it's only for initial infrastructure costs, not the upkeep. In other words, the rest of the city makes up the cost of inefficient developments through higher taxes.

I, and everyone else, end up paying for poorly planned growth on the westside (this was an impetus for impact fees, which have recently been reduced). Where's the choice in that? I also should have the choice of walking/biking/public transit, clean air, unclogged roads, protected view corridors, and sustainable water resources - all of which are compromised through current zoning and continued construction outside the city core.

Mike Horrell,

The houses that I'm referring to that sit empty are largely on the outskirts, directly adjacent to the newly built houses. This is due largely to speculative development that went rampant in places like Phoenix and Las Vegas. Also, the idea that living in an older house in the city requires you to live in a "transitional" neighborhood is ridiculous. Housing prices generally are higher in many of these older neighborhoods such as Ridgecrest due to higher demand. You get more house per square feet in the outer areas, which may at first seem like a good idea, but the transportation costs, health costs, and costs over time in part because of poor construction standards outweigh any short-term benefits.

Also, I think we need to do away with the notion that new construction must equal poorly planned construction. I would be fine with new construction if it followed the model of development in the 1930's - 1940's, i.e. you can build houses separate houses with yards, but you can still walk/bike to area stores. Requiring the use of a car for even the shortest trips is not just silly, it's irresponsible - but that's what you get when you build twisting roads with cul-de-sacs that are separated from the nearest grocery store by a 4 lane freeway. This is the idea behind Mesa del Sol, which is a start in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque