Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
lilgoose ....i hope you don't think your being called an idiot as your free to live and work wherever you choose and WELCOME to New Mexico. When i moved to Albuquerque 12 years ago i stayed at a motel 6 for about a week and i asked the desk clerk where to live or not live a she pulled out a map and drew a yellow marker line parallel to interstate-40 and said do not live south of that line and you'll be fine. I still agree with her asumption to this day. So just stay north of I-40 if you can help it and you'll be o.k.

I have the luxury of not driving to and from work as i live where i work (appartment industry)
I second this. We were told to stay north of I-40. We live in Rio Rancho, and love it here. Although this is just temporary housing, as we will be moving out towards Grants next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I second this. We were told to stay north of I-40. We live in Rio Rancho, and love it here. Although this is just temporary housing, as we will be moving out towards Grants next year.
It's just not very accurate. (Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades right?)

The best neighborhood in ABQ is South of I-40!

What they're trying to say is that the white people live North of I-40... so you'll like it more (assuming you're white).

Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
It's just not very accurate. (Horse Shoes and Hand Grenades right?)

The best neighborhood in ABQ is South of I-40!

What they're trying to say is that the white people live North of I-40... so you'll like it more (assuming you're white).
Actually, this is not true. My next door neighbors are not white. I could care less what color a person is. Its what is inside that matters.
Most of the crime is South of I-40.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,218,094 times
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. Trying to emphasize how lame generalizations like that are.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post

Firstly........What a racist comment rybert.....as to say as all white people choose not to live in the Southeast?? Well i and many others do live in the SE of albuquerque and i could care less your race or religion etc..... I get tired of people saying all Caucasians are racists. Should we stereotype other races on here?? Of course not.

Secondly.....Interesting to see people get all worked up over a comment that a motel desk clerk told me in 1995. By the way even the area south of I-40 has changed for the better since 1995.

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-21-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 02:26 PM

It was a motel clerk that told us to stay north of I-40 also. Wonder if it was the same one? LOL They didn't work at Drury, did they?

Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
It was a motel clerk that told us to stay north of I-40 also. Wonder if it was the same one? LOL They didn't work at Drury, did they?
No i stayed at the Motel 6 on University at the Big-I back in 1995 amd it was very hard to find an apt so i actually stayed south of I-40 ...lol... at the Tradewinds motel on Central and San Mateo as they had kitchenettes and weekly rates (little did i know) amd then around 5 days later i moved into the Shalako apts on east central.

Just didn't know where to stay or live as i was totally new to the city back in 1995 as i had no idea. Maybe she works at the Drury Inns now...lol...

Old 07-21-2008, 11:08 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasterscreen View Post
I have heard that 98th street and I-40 is a hot area. What do y'all think of that area?
Cookie cutter houses and not very well built. Friend of mine lives in that area, nice neighborhood, but was appalled to find out her doorframes are basically paper mache. Now she knows why the house was so much cheaper than ones she looked at in the NE part. She did get a new dog park last month though.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM

204 posts, read 1,484,985 times
Quote:
I resent that comment. It is an insult to those folks who have no control over where they work. If we lived near where my husband worked, we would be in a camper, as he travels all over.
And, do not bother suggesting he find a different job, he loves what he does. If he didn't, he would of gotten out of that line of work 35 yrs. ago.

I agree with this statement. Calling people idiots is just plain rude and insulting. Some people have already paid off their houses when they get laid off or start a new contract with a different company. Not everyone has the "luxury" of living within ten miles of where they work. And, I would much rather live in Valencia county and commute to Albuquerque than live there. To the OP, 98th street is a very nice area.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:08 PM

41 posts, read 150,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgoose1422 View Post
I am planning to move to Albuquerque to get away and some what start a new life, but I am not sure where to begin. I need to know about the best areas to move that offer inexpensive housing and job opportunities.

As someone who JUST returned from NM after buying a house, I can vouch from personal experience my motivations on my decisions and the part of the city that I moved to...

As a future retiree from the military, I felt that it would benefit me more to live closer to the base; therefore I chose to focus in safer areas of the SE heights - but the houses east of San Mateo that I could afford were in proximity to higher crime areas. I interviewed four of my potential neighbors (in the neighborhood just west of the KAFB gate at Gibson and Louisiana) and they told me flat out that it was a safe and quiet neighborhood - and I believed them. However, I decided to expand my criteria a bit more and moves very slightly north and east of that area, and I found a home (that I just closed on) in the Vista Oriente neighborhood, in proximity of the Foothills and Manzano HS, near Tramway and Lomas.

So with that being said, I took proximity to all the places that I thought I should be closer to (base, UNM, hospital, Isotopes, airport, etc) and tried to find the home that best "fit" me. Although I am not as "close" as I originally wanted to be to the base (what difference does FOUR miles make anyway?) I found myself pleasantly surprised that I found a home that EXCEEDED my criteria.

I wish you luck in finding your new home and if there is an area I tell you to definitely avoid it would be the areas bordering the Lomas/Cental/Zuni corridor from San Mateo to Wyoming; however, there are at least two safer "pocket" neighborhoods that exist in these areas where "pride of ownership" keeps the filth out. But man, there are some areas that come to mind (especially near streets Zuni and Copper street north and south of Central in the area described above) that I would avoid during the night, even in a vehicle, and I would probably still avoid during the day. Lots of people just standing around doing nothing - but of course there is SOMETHING going on, just probably not something good... if you stay away from the concentration of crime areas, you should be good.

I don't agree with the generalization of the SE heights. The SE heights contains the most neighborhoods of affluence, character, and beauty in all of Albuquerque... you just gotta know where to look. Those areas have not been affected by the real estate fallout that we are experiencing now, because they are in sought out areas - and the NE heights in general has real estate prices that are more stable than the rest of the city. The prices are definitely not rising, but they are not falling either. I think that the home that I bought could have gone for 20K more if it would have been during a real estate "boom" but fortunately I was able to get into an area that will not develop any further in the near future, and will increase in appeal because it is in proximity to the hotspots in Albuquerque.

I love Albuquerque. It is a great and fair city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque