Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
ABQ could be home to another college

Gary Gerew
Assistant Editor- Albuquerque Business First

Grand Canyon University said it is considering creating a new campus in Albuquerque.
Grand Canyon University, a private Christian, for-profit institution, is also considering Las Vegas, Nev., Tucson and sites near Phoenix, according to the Albuquerque Journal. The school, which has an enrollment of 6,500 at its main Phoenix campus, expects to make a decision within 60 days.

ABQ could be home to another college - Albuquerque Business First
For-profit educational institutions like this one, and University of Phoenix, move into communities the way predatory lenders do. There was an expose about them on Frontline not long ago. I hope we can keep GCU out of New Mexico.

Wikipedia: "A study by The National Bureau of Economic Research suggested that students who attend for-profit education institutions are more likely to be unemployed, earn less, have higher debt levels, and are more likely to default on their student loans than similar students at non-profit educational institutions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 AM

163 posts, read 308,068 times
UNM lease could bring in $2 M per year

Gary GerewAssistant Editor-
Albuquerque Business First

The lease between the University of New Mexico and the Ohio-based company selected to develop the south campus area could earn the university up to $2 million annually.
Regents Monday approved a ground lease form, the second in a series of steps to bring restaurants and retail to the land around the Pit, which UNM has selected Fairmount Properties to do, according to the Albuquerque Journal. The lease is for 74 years.

UNM lease could bring in $2 M per year - Albuquerque Business First

Old 03-14-2013, 01:39 PM

Interior Secretary signs “historic” regulations at Sandia Pueblo

By Deborah Ziff / Journal Staff Writer on Thu, Mar 14, 2013

Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar called it a “historic day” as he signed regulations at Sandia Pueblo Thursday morning that will allow the tribe to lease land without federal approval.
“This important step today on the HEARTH Act brings to closure a sad saga of the United States not trusting Indian country,” Salazar said.
Sandia Pueblo is only the second tribe in the country to develop regulations that will allow it to control economic development without the approval of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, under a law that President Barack Obama signed last year.

» Updated: Interior Secretary signs “historic” regulations at Sandia Pueblo | ABQ Journal

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM

Old ‘Darth Vader’ building at UNM needs another $5.6M

By Astrid Galvan / Journal Staff Writer on Thu, Mar 14, 2013

The nearly $5 million in renovations for the outside of the University of New Mexico building formerly known as Darth Vader are complete, but the makeover – and its costs – are not over.

Health Sciences Center administrators next month will ask regents to approve interior renovations for the building at 1650 University NE, which are projected to cost another $5.6 million dollars.

Including the initial cost of the building and the land it sits on, UNM will likely spend about $14.5 million total on the approximately 30-year-old building. For years, many people referred to the office tower as the Darth Vader building because of its shape and black windows.

» Old ‘Darth Vader’ building at UNM needs another $5.6M | ABQ Journal

Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTymeABQ View Post
Old ‘Darth Vader’ building at UNM needs another $5.6M

By Astrid Galvan / Journal Staff Writer on Thu, Mar 14, 2013

The nearly $5 million in renovations for the outside of the University of New Mexico building formerly known as Darth Vader are complete, but the makeover – and its costs – are not over.

Health Sciences Center administrators next month will ask regents to approve interior renovations for the building at 1650 University NE, which are projected to cost another $5.6 million dollars.

Including the initial cost of the building and the land it sits on, UNM will likely spend about $14.5 million total on the approximately 30-year-old building. For years, many people referred to the office tower as the Darth Vader building because of its shape and black windows.

» Old ‘Darth Vader’ building at UNM needs another $5.6M | ABQ Journal
I do like the exterior makeover of the building. The new color scheme of the glass works much better with the structural concrete framing to produce a more modern appearance rather than the darker glass that gave off such a dated look. I just hope the unfinished hotel that sits in front will eventually get torn down or at least completed. But torn down is what I really hope for. It detracts, with its cheap cookie cutter mid-rise hotel design, from the much better architecture of this building IMO.

Also, I think the author of that article is just plain wrong or confused about the building's name. The building used to be known as University Towers. I am unaware of it ever being known as the Darth Vader building. The only building I am aware of in Albuquerque that has ever been known as the Darth Vader building is The Citadel, located in Uptown.

File:The Citadel, Albuquerque.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I do like the exterior makeover of the building. The new color scheme of the glass works much better with the structural concrete framing to produce a more modern appearance rather than the darker glass that gave off such a dated look. I just hope the unfinished hotel that sits in front will eventually get torn down or at least completed. But torn down is what I really hope for. It detracts, with its cheap cookie cutter mid-rise hotel design, from the much better architecture of this building IMO.

Also, I think the author of that article is just plain wrong or confused about the building's name. The building used to be known as University Towers. I am unaware of it ever being known as the Darth Vader building. The only building I am aware of in Albuquerque that has ever been known as the Darth Vader building is The Citadel, located in Uptown.

File:The Citadel, Albuquerque.jpg - Wikimedia Commons
Definitely agree on both counts here. That's one of my favorite buildings in ABQ and I wasn't happy to see that cheap construction going up right in front of it and blocking the view.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM

Meeting set for new ABQ retail district

Dan MayfieldReporter-
Albuquerque Business First

The city’s leaders and the heads of the new Albuquerque Indian School District will begin work this morning on agreements for the new retail district at 12th Street and Menaul Boulevard.
“This is the first time for official business and they’ll be setting up the parameters,” said AISD spokesperson Tazbah McMullah.

Meeting set for new ABQ retail district - Albuquerque Business First

Old 03-23-2013, 01:26 AM

60 posts, read 158,574 times
I love everyone's onterest in Albuquerque's growth. That means people do care.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM

MRCOG studies options to ease traffic

By Glen Rosales / For the Journal on Sat, Mar 23, 2013

Even though the interchange at Paseo del Norte and Interstate 25 will eventually be reconfigured to ease congestion, the growth along the West Side of Albuquerque and in Rio Rancho will ensure that commuter traffic will remain high.
To help ease that commuter crush, the Mid-Region Council of Governments is looking at ways to encourage greater use of public transportation on the Paseo del Norte corridor as it feeds workers to and from their jobs.
The MRCOG is studying several different strategies for this, said Tony Sylvester, special projects manager for the organization.
A MRCOG study showed Paseo del Norte carried 81,800 vehicles per weekday across the Rio Grande and it is projecting that number to rise to 180,000 by 2035 as the West Side is expected to see a growth of about 250,000 people in that time period.

Rio Rancho News, Sports, Opinion, Weather | ABQ Journal

Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times
Time for ABQ to consider a interstate LOOP around the Westside that ties into I-25 north and south? (or at least I-40 west?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque