Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexmark View Post
Intel, Sandia Labs, Northrup Grumman, Kirtland AFB...check out what upcoming University of New Mexico (UNM) job fairs have to offer. There have been a few recently so we know some great companies here hiring. Maybe suscribe to the ABQ Business Journal online for offerings?
I haven't been to the UNM job fair, but keep in mind just because a school has a job fair doesn't necessarily mean the employers who show up are actually hiring at the moment. At the job fair at my school a few weeks ago, there were over 100 employers who showed up, each with their own table, and at almost every single table it was the same response: "We're not hiring now." They were there pretty much for informational purposes. Now, UNM may have a better success rate, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,086,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
So far I've submitted maybe 8-10 resumes through ads posted in the paper and a few I found online. I rec'd 2 callbacks. One person talked to me for about 10 minutes then said "Sorry you are overqualified
The other asked when I'd be in town for an interview. I said I could be there whenever he wanted me to be i just needed 24 hours notice. I said the more time he gave me the better but I needed 24 hours. I told him I'm job hunting from afar but wanted to be treated like a local in that I will be able to make most interviews. Apparently he didn't understand me because he told me, well just let me know when you are in town and moved in and then I'll see if I have any openings.
Arggggg I'm frustrated!
You should have asked that moron what was the point of his question....

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
Update:

OP here, 7 years later and still wanting to move to Albuquerque! I looked for about 6 months originally even got some decent bites but then life got in the way and I focused on other things for a bit. Now that my life is settling down a bit I am starting my job hunt in Albuquerque again.

The good news, I'm married now and have a nearly 3 year old son! Part of the reason I'm starting my search again is because I want to be relocated by the time he's in kindergarten. I also have a much better job and have been promoted a few times since posting this. I was a business analyst with a couple years' experience when I first posted and now I'm a Senior Analyst with nearly a decade of experience, including some project and program management experience.

How's the job market in Albuquerque in general, and for jobs I might be qualified for? I am really looking to work hard at getting my family to Albuquerque but would also consider other areas of NM as well. We've visited many times since I posted this and we still have dreams about moving.

I hope to talk to you all soon. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be in Albuquerque before my son is off to kindergarten.

I love seeing older threads get bumped with updated info so hopefully some take the time to read this!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM

150 posts, read 253,613 times
Thanks for the update! Overall job growth here is pretty flat compared to many other parts of the country, but you should definitely be able to find a satisfactory job here based on your background. In fact, it's probably good that you waited now that you have more valuable skills. I also waited until the peak of my marketability before trying to apply for a job here remotely, and it paid off because they were willing to fly me here for the interviews, which I don't think would've been the case earlier in my career.

My spouse had a tougher time, and more than once got the same exact line you posted earlier – "let us know when you are moved here, and we'll see if we have any openings." There are a few unique things about the culture here I've noticed that may not be obvious, but that may play a role in that kind of response:

1) People here are genuinely nice and other-regarding. Employers here maybe more reluctant than in less nice (e.g., big city) cultures to encourage you to fly here paying for your own airfare, lodging, and rental car just for a first interview that in most cases does not result in a match. They might not want to risk playing a role in causing you that possible pain.
2) People here are very modest and tend to assume that other parts of the country are better than Albuquerque. Therefore, they may be skeptical that you would actually like it here, move here, and stay here long term.

Therefore, if you find that you're not getting bites applying remotely despite your impressive skills, then you might consider a strategy where you plan an extended trip here for the purpose of interviewing, and let employers know that you are in the process of moving and are available for in person interviews during X dates. If you make some local connections, you might use a friend's local address on your resume as well.

PS if you are practicing Buddhist/meditator as suggested by your screen name, I expect you will find Albuquerque a wonderful place to live. The things that annoy some people about Albuquerque are less likely to bother you, and you are more likely to appreciate Albuquerque's many subtle positives, including the non-materialism and humility of the people here, as well as the nature of the surrounding landscape and prominent Native American communities.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Thanks for the update! Overall job growth here is pretty flat compared to many other parts of the country, but you should definitely be able to find a satisfactory job here based on your background. In fact, it's probably good that you waited now that you have more valuable skills. I also waited until the peak of my marketability before trying to apply for a job here remotely, and it paid off because they were willing to fly me here for the interviews, which I don't think would've been the case earlier in my career.

My spouse had a tougher time, and more than once got the same exact line you posted earlier – "let us know when you are moved here, and we'll see if we have any openings." There are a few unique things about the culture here I've noticed that may not be obvious, but that may play a role in that kind of response:

1) People here are genuinely nice and other-regarding. Employers here maybe more reluctant than in less nice (e.g., big city) cultures to encourage you to fly here paying for your own airfare, lodging, and rental car just for a first interview that in most cases does not result in a match. They might not want to risk playing a role in causing you that possible pain.
2) People here are very modest and tend to assume that other parts of the country are better than Albuquerque. Therefore, they may be skeptical that you would actually like it here, move here, and stay here long term.

Therefore, if you find that you're not getting bites applying remotely despite your impressive skills, then you might consider a strategy where you plan an extended trip here for the purpose of interviewing, and let employers know that you are in the process of moving and are available for in person interviews during X dates. If you make some local connections, you might use a friend's local address on your resume as well.

PS if you are practicing Buddhist/meditator as suggested by your screen name, I expect you will find Albuquerque a wonderful place to live. The things that annoy some people about Albuquerque are less likely to bother you, and you are more likely to appreciate Albuquerque's many subtle positives, including the non-materialism and humility of the people here, as well as the nature of the surrounding landscape and prominent Native American communities.
Reps to you.

Thank you so much for the post and helpful information! I agree with you about everything you said about Albuquerque. The people that I have met while there have been wonderful. We even spent a month there about two years ago and hated that we had to leave. I'll have to work on a way to approach the interviews/relocating thing since I understand some may be reluctant to commit to someone from afar. The way I look at it though is that I feel (hope) I can offer something that maybe that have a hard time finding locally. I've learned quite a few things over the past decade and I'm ready to prove what I can add to a company. One good thing I have going for me is that I'm only a short flight from ABQ and can be there quickly if needed for interviews.

I just have no clue where to start. So far I'm just Googling some of the big companies in ABQ (many of which have been mentioned here already) and checking their job postings. I will definitely consider the idea of telling employers I'll be there on X dates. One trick I'm going to try using if someone calls and asks when will you be in town so we can do an interview, I'll say, as luck would have it I'm in town this week (or in a few days or whatever). Then just hop on a 1 hour flight and be there.

I can't agree enough with you about Albuquerque's positive traits. The beautiful scenery, the kind people, the non-materialism, is all a joy! Yes, I know Albuquerque has many problems too like any other city but it is much more our style than Los Angeles, where materialistic is almost a religion.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Well I've applied to my first few positions in ABQ. I applied for a position at Sandia Labs at the recommendation of this thread years ago and a few at Intel.

I started my resume from scratch and tailored it for the specific positions so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My goal is to apply to as many jobs as I'm qualified for and keep trying until I find something.

Can't wait to be in ABQ. I was there last month for the balloon fiesta, which prompted this search to begin again.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Well I've applied to my first few positions in ABQ. I applied for a position at Sandia Labs at the recommendation of this thread years ago and a few at Intel.

I started my resume from scratch and tailored it for the specific positions so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My goal is to apply to as many jobs as I'm qualified for and keep trying until I find something.

Can't wait to be in ABQ. I was there last month for the balloon fiesta, which prompted this search to begin again.
Expect slow going, particularly if you have an out-of-state address and phone number on your resume. 505 numbers that dial through to your regular number are free; no reason not to use one if you're serious.

Companies in general and SNL in particular are very network-focused, meaning that their outward facing jobs board tends to circular-file resumes (even for jobs they're desperate to fill), relying more on referrals from insiders to pull them out of the circular-file. With SNL in particular, I'd try to find an in (alumni of the same school, same professional organization, etc.) with the particular manager in the department you're sniffing around and contact them directly.

HR in most big organizations tends to be a colossal waste of time for both applicants and hiring managers.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Expect slow going, particularly if you have an out-of-state address and phone number on your resume. 505 numbers that dial through to your regular number are free; no reason not to use one if you're serious.

Companies in general and SNL in particular are very network-focused, meaning that their outward facing jobs board tends to circular-file resumes (even for jobs they're desperate to fill), relying more on referrals from insiders to pull them out of the circular-file. With SNL in particular, I'd try to find an in (alumni of the same school, same professional organization, etc.) with the particular manager in the department you're sniffing around and contact them directly.

HR in most big organizations tends to be a colossal waste of time for both applicants and hiring managers.
I'm using a 505 Google Voice number already. My resume doesn't have an address on it. It hasn't had one for years. But my current company does have the word California in the name and most places ask your address when applying so it's a bit hard to get around.

I do briefly mention my desire to relocate in my cover letter and state I'd do it on my own dime. I'm fully prepared for this. I also say I can make any interviews they request on my own dime. Yes, some may say this is dumb, but I've been saving up for this for awhile so I don't mind the cost of making the move and securing a job. There's just no way I can move without a job lined up first since I have a family now.

It's depressing to hear that SNL might be a waste if I don't know anyone. I'll look to my network but I doubt I have any connections there.

I'm not stopping until I'm in NM though, even if it takes awhile.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
It's depressing to hear that SNL might be a waste if I don't know anyone.
That is absolutely not true. I worked for or at SNL briefly over the years.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:07 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is absolutely not true. I worked for or at SNL briefly over the years.
Agreed. I know many people that moved here from out of state to work for SNL without any connections. That being said. Networking is the single biggest way to attain a job in any company and industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque