Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

OMG moving from beautiful Marin Co. to Edgewood will be a real change. You will not have the SF things, Seafood, ocean, etc...and other things not far from SF. You will have Wallymart(ugh), and then drive to Abq for excellent restaurants, and other shopping opportunities.
It's all about trade off's. We live wayout in Fence Lake which is about 1 hour for getting supplies, having a Starbucks, etc..but the quite rural lifestyle is ok..garden is doing well, chickens are happy, lots of deer and elk, antelope etc. Warm days, very cold winters, (but lived in Id also).
One must live in an area for a while to really get the feel of the place. School's no idea...
Into horses then ok..into SASS like me..ok..Edgewood really (booms) this next week with End of Trail.

Happy trails,

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
My in-laws moved from Marin County to Landaff, NH. They are retired and very happy. Even though Landaff has a smaller population than a Marin County high school they have become important to the community. They also do consulting work over the internet.

I suspect you will do just fine in Edgewood and your daughter will be annoyed at first she will meet people to care for and will do OK. Besides, by the time you are in high school most of the learning can be done in a library anyway.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,282 times
Default Moving to edgewood nm from the UK....

Single female from London UK, planning to move to Edgewood. The open spaces and quietness excite me. Need any kind of information about the safety, and public transportion.
Coming from London, I did not need a driver's liscence......and don't have one.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,833 times
You may want to look into getting a drivers license. I think there's a park and ride lot not too far from Edgewood, but public transit is largely non-existent.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
No public transportation out here. If you need to be somewhere where you can use mass transit, you need to go into Albuquerque, and even then I would look at the ABQ Ride map to see which areas are more realistic for that.

Its pretty safe but if you live on a secluded property, be sure to safeguard your home against break-ins. There were a rash of them in the past year in the E. Mtns - I believe more in the Five Hills neighborhood area than Edgewood but still..

Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggest taking a longish vacation (2 or 3 weeks) in Albuquerque before considering a place as isolated as Edgewood. Late spring would be ideal. You could travel around the state by bus, if any, or rail and experience the start of summer without getting fried by the sunshine. Buy plenty of sunblock cream and drink a lot of water while you are there. If you could bring a friend that knows how to drive on the RIGHT side of the road that would make travel a lot easier.

New Mexico is completely different from London England or where I live in southern New Hampshire it might as well be on another planet. Take some time to look at it before commiting to move.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Buy a nice rifle. I like the Marlin 30-30 in stainless steel. You're gonna love it there. Especially the food. GL.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:35 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
Sounds like an exciting change of scenery. I agree about the need for a license though. There's a fair public transportation system in Albuquerque, but Edgewood's is non-existent, and Edgewood itself is spread out around old 66. Can I ask why you settled on Edgewood? Are you averse to having a driver's license? Is there a way for you to come out under a 'temporary' situation for a couple weeks while you scoped things out for yourself? The area around Albuquerque offers an amazing diversity of living situations, from high forest to river valley farmland, suburbia (plenty of that), metro-downtown, etc. There's just so many options and things can be spotty from one place to the next. It's why we always recommend checking things out for yourself.

I mean, if you were looking for rural, with connections to public transportation, I'd look for something in Belen. Rural, with a nice town center of it's own (enough that you don't have to leave town for basics.) and it has the final stop on the Rail Runner line, with connections going through Albuquerque on to Santa Fe. If you were within walking distance to the station, you'd be within walking distance of Santa Fe. You'd be connected to Albuquerque's public transport system for more serious shopping emergencies (not to mention the Sunport for jet service.) and you'd be right on I-25, the main North-South artery through NM.

I'm not suggesting it's the best choice for you, that's for you to decide. Just pointing out that there are many options in the Albuquerque vicinity. Good luck.

Last edited by ziaAirmac; 03-17-2010 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: added the Sunport.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:31 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I moved from Ireland and found the move to rural NM to be exactly what I was looking for.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I moved from Ireland and found the move to rural NM to be exactly what I was looking for.
Irish men have a great attraction to hispanic women. And visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque