Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:00 PM

3 posts, read 19,460 times

Advertisements

I'm a single woman moving to Albuquerque next month and I have no idea where to live. I am not sure how long I'll stay (at least 3 months) and I really want to be around people my age (I'm in my early 20s) as I've been living with my grandparents for the past year! I don't have any transportation but I do plan on getting a bike. What is a convenient (close to food, stores), affordable (no more than $550), and safe place to look for? And also, how do I find housing that is at least partially furnished (since I won't be staying long, i want one that has a bed and a fridge- but that's all i'm asking). What do you guys recommend? I really appreciate this in advance.
And also, I've been checking out apartmentratings.com, but it looks like everything that is available there is in a gated community. I don't need a pool or anything fancy. again, just convenience, affordability and safety. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 113,255 times
Because of your transportation situation, I would definitely recommend living near the University. This will probably increase your chances of living with young people. Everything is in walking/biking distance and if it isn't, a bus stop probably is. Albuquerque is a really hard place to live in without a car, but you can make it work if you live in this area. Basically, I would search craigslist.com for rooms or studios or sublets, and if they say the place is in Nob Hill or near the University, then that's good for you.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:23 AM

Phoebe10, thanks so much for the advice^^ I will definitely look for something around the university. I've checked out craigslist but there doesn't seem to be too many choices-- are there any university-area specific sites for apartments and studios? Thanks in advance!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:26 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Buggin,

Albuquerque has a huge number of quadplexes, eightplexes and rental cottages, particularly in the areas you seem interested in. These don't fit the "apartment community" mold that those sites specialize in (after all, one community probably gets hundreds of vacancies every 10 years whereas a smaller setup might only get dozens). Daily Lobo, Alibi, bulletin boards on UNM, etc. will probably bear more fruit than these websites you visit.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM

14 posts, read 113,255 times
Yeah,go to the classifieds at www.dailylobo.com it's the University newspaper. Also, www.alibi.com classifieds usually has many places listed in that area.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks you guys! I'm looking right now-- and I see that there are a lot more listings! I really appreciate your help!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:26 PM

126 posts, read 549,410 times
You may wanna check out cragslist for albuq as well....

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggin4 View Post
Thanks you guys! I'm looking right now-- and I see that there are a lot more listings! I really appreciate your help!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 26,651 times
Why don't you go to realtor.com. They have apartments. I would stay around UNM area. You will find cheapest and you are going to be close to everything including people your age. You might want to check out the hostile, I don't think I spelled this right but there is one on west central very close to old town, this would be another cheaper area for you to live in. Be careful down there I would say the crime rate is higher there. You might want to get on cabq.gov web site for crime rates. Good luck chica.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 10,321 times
Sorry about the above. I was attempting to post a New Topic. However, I can't seem to make that work. If a Moderator/Administrator could move the above post to a new topic, that would be swell.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,072,380 times
Zelda, I moved your post for you and created a new thread. There is a "new thread" button close to the top left of the page for future reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: