Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,109 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for the great responses!

Nita: Yeah I'm not quite sure where that desire springs from. Probably the 6 years in Montana, 3 in Colorado, and 4 in NM :-D

Greg: She's attached, but she'd still probably help if I asked, since we ended on good terms. I also had a good relationship with several teachers there, so I might look them up and ask for their advice as well.

Mortimer: Point taken, eventually it'll come down to just doing it. I would like to have some idea of a plan though...the line between preparation and procrastination is pretty thin.

LoboABQ: I contacted NMPED a while ago and they seemed to indicate that NM and IL had
reciprocity. At the very least, I might need to take the Basic Skills again, but that's...well...basic.

Soggy: Thanks for the encouragment. I guess those important decisions are never the easy ones.The good news is as a teacher I'll have more time off than normal, so at least that won't be a barrier for visiting. Money, on the other hand...at least the Greyhound is still affordable, right?

Lobo: Thanks for the update on the current market. Hopefully it'll pick up in a couple years, but if not I'm not going to limit myself to just Albuquerque. Mostly I just want to get back to NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Well.. I might be a little closer to being in your shoes than some of the posters on here. I am not a whole lot older than you are and this time last year I was right there with ya. My parents are a lot like yours. Especially my father. He never did support my moving and couldn't understand why I said I would never find my dream job in ND. And my grandmother.... who is litterally my world... lives back home as well. It hurts the heart to know that my father didnt support it..and my grandmother would be 2000 miles away and unable to visit. However...the way I look at it is like this: I am young..and although I love my family dearly..with all my heart..I am not going to let that hold me back from persuing and reaching my dreams. Especially if you're single... take this chance to leap while you aren't tied down. When I took my first leap a year ago Jan...I bawled for weeks thinking I was too weak. Than, someone said to me..."would you rather give up and regret it later... or make yourself happy where you're at and be proud you stuck it out?" Needless to say I stuck it out..and after a few weeks realized I was living in Paradise (SW FL) and it was the best decision I ever made. Now, I'm in SF..another 2000 miles away from home. Its never easy...but that is the one thing I think is sad about young people now days: They let other things stand in the way of their dreams. Do not let anyone hold you back. There is no reason for that! Take that leap! The way I put it..I had to get away from home to prove myself to..well...me! Take that chance..really...what is the worst that can happen?

Also..I have a friend who is moving to ABQ to get her teaching certification. I know that you're already there..but I have heard some really great things about the program. For example, at that particular college...the program is free because it is funded by state taxes. I also heard that teachers who are willing to work in high need areas for three years get all of the student loans paid for. I am not sure who it goes for out-of-staters...but it sounds like an incredible program! Best of luck to you. Again, its never easy, but it is so worth it in the end!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 PM

PS-
I also forgot to post one thing. I see time and time again that people on here tell potential movers to come visit, or visit again. I am the complete opposite. I think if I were to visit places before moving... I might get completely freaked out and not move at all. Sometimes I think its best to leap before testing the waters. But...you have to decide what is best for you before moving!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
PS-
I also forgot to post one thing. I see time and time again that people on here tell potential movers to come visit, or visit again. I am the complete opposite. I think if I were to visit places before moving... I might get completely freaked out and not move at all. Sometimes I think its best to leap before testing the waters. But...you have to decide what is best for you before moving!
Maybe...

I normally do not recommend to anyone to move anywhere. That is a decision they have to make. My wife and I have met many families who came to an area and the spouse hated the area initially. I have met quite a few people who hate New Mexico (and other states as well).

It was my early career in which I traveled a lot that always put New Mexico in the back of my mind to consider to the future.

But each person is different in their desires, capabilities and even luck.

But I still miss parts of every place I have ever lived. This morning I miss Calle Ocho in Miami....

Rich

Old 05-08-2009, 09:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
PS-
Oh, believe me, visiting is the best way if you are making a major life style change. Moving, changing jobs, finding living quarters, etc, these are all considerations when one decides to re-locate. You love Sante Fe, some would hate it, but maybe because of reading about it would jump at chance to move there. Small towns can be wonderful for some, a nightmare for others.

Visiting is especially important when you are choosing an area totally removed from what you have now.
Nita

Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh, believe me, visiting is the best way if you are making a major life style change. Moving, changing jobs, finding living quarters, etc, these are all considerations when one decides to re-locate. You love Sante Fe, some would hate it, but maybe because of reading about it would jump at chance to move there. Small towns can be wonderful for some, a nightmare for others.

Visiting is especially important when you are choosing an area totally removed from what you have now.
Nita

I am still going to disagree and that is why I stated in my post that the OP has to decide for theirself what is right for them. I've not ever claimed to love SF. Infact... ehhh... its only so so. I am a true midwesterner who longs for nothing more than to live by the ocean as I have before. HOWEVER... I feel that sometimes one has to sacrafice the WHERE inorder to get the WHAT. In my case... NM was never ever an option, but I absolutely LOVE what I do for my career..and with the state of the economoy I had to open up the location possibilities to places I never really dreamed of simply in order to do what I wanted for my career. On the other hand...some people are different in that they would rather sacrafice the 'what' for the 'where'. Its all personal opinion... and had I visited here first..I probably woulnt have come..when in fact, this was one of the best career moves I have made to date. Again...sometimes our dreams don't take us exactly where we had always imagine... thus is the story of my life. And yet although I am not really feeing 'at home', I am taking this opportunity to learn about other places and cultures because I believe sometimes you have to make yourself happy where you're at.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
I am still going to disagree and that is why I stated in my post that the OP has to decide for theirself what is right for them. I've not ever claimed to love SF. Infact... ehhh... its only so so. I am a true midwesterner who longs for nothing more than to live by the ocean as I have before. HOWEVER... I feel that sometimes one has to sacrafice the WHERE inorder to get the WHAT. In my case... NM was never ever an option, but I absolutely LOVE what I do for my career..and with the state of the economoy I had to open up the location possibilities to places I never really dreamed of simply in order to do what I wanted for my career. On the other hand...some people are different in that they would rather sacrafice the 'what' for the 'where'. Its all personal opinion... and had I visited here first..I probably woulnt have come..when in fact, this was one of the best career moves I have made to date. Again...sometimes our dreams don't take us exactly where we had always imagine... thus is the story of my life. And yet although I am not really feeing 'at home', I am taking this opportunity to learn about other places and cultures because I believe sometimes you have to make yourself happy where you're at.

I think you are making the most out of your life, you are learning and not sulking as some do when a place isn't heaven to them. That is the attitude we all should take. Good for you..I still think, if the opportunity allows one should visit before making a location change. In this case the OP will be looking for his first teaching job, he will have choices.. If job comes available or a person is transferred that is a totally different situation.

We moved from So California, many years ago to the bay area because my hustand was transferred. We didn't say, or let us visit first. We also moved to Wash DC when he got a job there: same thing, we had never lived on the east coast..

My point more had to do with having a choice. Of course the OP has lived in NM before so it is probably a moot point anyway.

Nita

Old 05-10-2009, 02:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times
Here's my 2 cents.

1. Move. There are no guarentees in life. Yes, you may be disappointed. So what? You're young - just move away. I moved away from Alb at age 50 4 years ago to south Florida having never been to Florida in my life. Aside from the weather and the ocean I hate it. So guess what, I'm moving again. Trust me, it's not the mistakes you actively make in life that you end up regretting - and I'm sure you've heard this before - it's the things you DON'T do, the chances you didn't take that end up haunting you.

2. Line up a job before you move. No one really knows when the economy will turn around for one thing. People are flooded with resumes from Internet job sites and you are right, locals have the advantage. For another, since you know no one there you'll meet people more quickly. I move to Alb for a job and made friends immediately.

3. Yes, you will miss your family. But trust me, they will visit. I had people visiting me all the time in New MExico.

4. New Mexico has not changed that much since you left. Now, mind you, I haven't been there since 2006, but the changes that have been made, I feel, are for the better.

5. I WOULD visit before making the move. Visiting is certainly not the same as living in a place. But I can tell you that had I visited Palm Beach County I would NEVER have made the move here.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 PM

[quote=joanie55;8743767]Here's my 2 cents.

5. I WOULD visit before making the move. Visiting is certainly not the same as living in a place. But I can tell you that had I visited Palm Beach County I would NEVER have made the move here.
quote]

I think the above statement justified what I was trying to say. Same as myself...if I would have visited NM first I never would have moved here... but in the end it has been the best career move I have made..and although I never would have known that without coming, I probably would have regretted not moving.

I agree with all five of your points. Perfectly put!!

Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
Hey all, was looking for advice about moving and came across this website and thought I could get some opinions.

First, a little background information. I'm a 20 (21 in a 1.5 months, actually) year old college student in Illinois hoping to become a teacher. My dad was in the airforce before he retired, and from 2001-2005 we lived in Albuquerque. From the minute we drove over the border, stayed the night in Tucumcari, and watched my first NM sunset at 13 I fell in love with NM. The following years served to cement this feeling even further. However, in 2005 (my junior year of high school), we moved to Illinois. I originally thought I'd just finish up my remaining year of HS in IL and then move back to NM. Unfortunately, at the time one major motivator for me to do that was the fact that I had a girlfriend back in NM (lol high school relationships). When the relationship inevitably ended, I decided to follow my parents' advice and at least go to college in IL where I could save money, live at home, and get a good education. I decided to do that for several reason- the primary being family. The couple years in IL before my dad retired were pretty stressful for everyone (my dad mostly, because of his job), and I thought I could show my appreciation for all he went through (i.e. working this job so we could have money for college) for us kids by at least sticking around for college.

All in all, college has been pretty cool. I've really enjoyed spending more time with my family, and things are much better than when I was originally entertaining the thought of moving to NM. Now the only problem is that the tables have turned. Everyone else in my family is content, but I'm not. All through college I've realized that, despite the fact that I love my family and friends, I'm not really "home". I've tried to just be content living here, but it hasn't worked. I've made friends, gotten several jobs, enjoyed school adn family, but this just isn't where I'm "meant" to be. I've been able to keep the itch to move back under control the last few years, but the closer I get to graduation the harder it gets. I'm at the point where I know I should move back, but am unable to get around the "how".

As I said, I'm finishing up my junior year and hoping to be a teacher. I've got one more year of college to get through and then a semester of student teaching. Add on another semester before I can get a job and relocate, and I've got two or so more years here that I THINK I can get through without going crazy Of course, the problem is actually getting back.

First, finding a job. Honestly, I'm not sure how to do this from a distance. I know sending in applications is an important, but being out of state gives me a pretty huge handicap in finding a job. I could take some time and just go out there in person to make a better impression, but that all costs money.

Second, the family. They know I want to go back, and they seem to accept it, but I'm pretty sure they don't necessarily LIKE it, which I understand. I know they'll support me in whatever I do, but I hate having that small feeling that I'm betraying them by moving away. It's most definitely all in my head, but still.

Third is more elusive. Mostly it's driven by fear. What happens if moving back isn't the solution to my discontent? I think (and hope) that it is, but there's always that "What if?". Maybe I should just get a job here and try to make things work? My gut tells me that it's not the right thing to do, but common sense and logic says it is.

Anyways, that's where I stand right now. I've still got time to figure this out, but I need to start thinking about it. I'm looking for any advice, suggestions, thoughts, or comments. Thanks in advance

Small edit: I'm also a little nervous about living so far from home on my own. I lived by myself for a year, but under differenent circumstances. I'm not sure how I'd take living 2000 miles away with little/no support system. I think I could do it fine (I'm pretty resilient after all this moving), but there is that doubt as well.
I agree with what most of the other poster say. DEFINITELY GO FOR IT! You are young. This is the time to do this kind of stuff. Teaching is a portable career. If you don't like NM, you can go somewhere else.

As far as disappointing your family, well all I can say is it's YOUR life. You can't live your life to please other people. NM is not that far away from IL. I know it's not the same as living nearby, but (and this is just my opinion), I find that adults who don't live in the same zip code as their parents often have a much broader view of the world than people who live in the same area their whole lives.

I would add that you are right to ask yourself whether or not NM is really the solution to your discontent. Ultimately, where you live and your external circumstances (income, posessions, etc) is only a part of what makes you happy. The rest is an 'inside job'.

But at this stage in your life, I think it's really important you explore. It gets much, much harder to do this sort of thing as you get older. So do it when you get a chance!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque