Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times

Advertisements

I just applied for a job in Albuquerque and I was wondering would a guy like me like living here. I'm in my late 20s and looking to live somewhere that is safe and has nice townhomes. I would also like to live in a district that has nice bars and restaurants that I can walk to or at least in a short enough distance for a cheap cab fare. How would you compare it to Houston? I'm looking for a place as different from Houston as possible. I'm also looking at jobs in other cities but Albuquerque is the only one that I know nothing about. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Maybe some of the townhomes off of Indian School in Spruce Park? The area is close enough to bars and restaurants, but still has the added safety of an affluent neighborhood (affluent in ABQ standards, not Houston standards ).

My wife and I just moved back to ABQ from HOU a few months ago. Have you ever visited the area?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Maybe some of the townhomes off of Indian School in Spruce Park? The area is close enough to bars and restaurants, but still has the added safety of an affluent neighborhood (affluent in ABQ standards, not Houston standards ).

My wife and I just moved back to ABQ from HOU a few months ago. Have you ever visited the area?
Thanks for the response. I've only driven through ABQ as a kid on a family road trip to California.

I read a little online that there is an effort to revitalize downtown. Is that actually happening at a noticeable rate? Is Spruce Park located near the city center or is it a suburb? An affluent neighborhood will be too much for me. I'll probably be making somewhere near $40,000. I'm single but that's still not enough to live in an affluent neighborhood.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:00 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,441 times
ABQ is relatively cheap to live so $40K can go a long way. In fact $47K is the median family income here in ABQ so since you're single that puts you ahead of the curve here. What other cities are you considering? Do you want a really vibrant urban core, if so I'd look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pace, with most city amenities and easy access to the outdoors, then it could be a great fit for you. I would also warn you that if having a large body of water within an hours drive is important, this won't be the place. But you can get to some decent lakes in 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
On my way to the zoo, I drive down Lead, and on my way home, up Coal, and it looks like there are some revitalized residential areas in the Downtown district. That is just from the car window though - maybe someone can comment further.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
ABQ is relatively cheap to live so $40K can go a long way. In fact $47K is the median family income here in ABQ so since you're single that puts you ahead of the curve here. What other cities are you considering? Do you want a really vibrant urban core, if so I'd look elsewhere. But if you want a nice pace, with most city amenities and easy access to the outdoors, then it could be a great fit for you. I would also warn you that if having a large body of water within an hours drive is important, this won't be the place. But you can get to some decent lakes in 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
I'm also considering Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Galveston. I really want to leave Texas because i've lived here my whole life and would like to try something different but really I would pick whatever job offers the most money. I vibrant core is important to me but it doesn't have to be anything like New York City or San Francisco. I just want to be able to walk to bars, restaurants, and stores. I also want to be close to where I work. Being near a large body of water is also not important. I used to go to the beach a lot a few years ago but now I prefer just to be near a nice pool.

Thanks for the reply

Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,238 times
I would recommend Nob Hill or Downtown. You are pretty young, so I feel like both areas (especially Nob Hill/Campus Area would fit your style quite a bit more.

Houston and Albuquerque are the antithesis of each other in almost every single way:
Culture
Weather
People

I'd say if it becomes a top contender, take a small vacation out here and see if you like the vibe.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I just applied for a job in Albuquerque and I was wondering would a guy like me like living here. I'm in my late 20s and looking to live somewhere that is safe and has nice townhomes. I would also like to live in a district that has nice bars and restaurants that I can walk to or at least in a short enough distance for a cheap cab fare. How would you compare it to Houston? I'm looking for a place as different from Houston as possible. I'm also looking at jobs in other cities but Albuquerque is the only one that I know nothing about. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Well it certainly is going to be different from Houston. That's for sure. The weather will be dry, you are not going to hear a lot of southern accents (I am not knocking them, just making a statement) and you will not see as much diversity as in Houston. Remember, ABQ really is a mid sized city, nothing like Houston.

Of course the cost of living in ABQ will be loser than Texas. Where to live? Probably Nob Hill will be your best bet, it is near the campus.

There is a lot to love about NM, and a few things not to love.

Good luck, you are at a great age to make a move, if it doesn't work at least you know you tried.

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
At the risk of being banned from the ABQ forum, I think Dallas is your best bet if you're wanting more of a 'single' life. I love ABQ but found Dallas to have more things to do (for younger singles, I'm old now). Check out the area around Uptown, the M Streets/Lower Greenville, and Beltline/Preston Rd/Addison areas. Good mix of affordable apartments and close to multiple choices of nightlife, singles groups, entertainment, etc. IMHO, anyway.

Now...if you like the idea of four seasons and being able to be outdoors most of the year, being able to breathe (as in cleaner air!), want less traffic and don't mind a smaller city, ABQ beats Dallas hands down. More real people, less plastic people. ABQ still has plenty of enterainment venues, but they're more spread apart and all over town - many won't be a cheap cab fare away, unfortunately.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
At the risk of being banned from the ABQ forum, I think Dallas is your best bet if you're wanting more of a 'single' life. I love ABQ but found Dallas to have more things to do (for younger singles, I'm old now). Check out the area around Uptown, the M Streets/Lower Greenville, and Beltline/Preston Rd/Addison areas. Good mix of affordable apartments and close to multiple choices of nightlife, singles groups, entertainment, etc. IMHO, anyway.

Now...if you like the idea of four seasons and being able to be outdoors most of the year, being able to breathe (as in cleaner air!), want less traffic and don't mind a smaller city, ABQ beats Dallas hands down. More real people, less plastic people. ABQ still has plenty of enterainment venues, but they're more spread apart and all over town - many won't be a cheap cab fare away, unfortunately.
ZAP you are gone..

seriously, yes, DAllas is great for singles, but ABQ can be as well, not to mention the cost of living in NM and the beautiful climate. We lived in DAllas for 13 years and ABQ for 7.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: