Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times

Advertisements

Y'know, it's just on the outside edge of possibility that if Da Legeshlahture doesn't
implement a constitutionally acceptable fix, that a judge might just decide that
continuing to collect property taxes unconstitutionally is a no go and suspend all
residential property taxes until such time as a constitutional law is implemented.

That'd be fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
... outside edge of possibility ...
... suspend all residential property taxes until such time ...
Stop it Mike.

You're getting me excited.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,587 times
No I don't think you're an idiot, and Santafescribe gives you some excellent advice.

A couple of thoughts. You have selected one of the most expensive areas around here. Why? You have something within a mile of the plaza -- you could sell it and buy some place not in such an expensive area and not make a major financial commitment. You can even get enough room to easily put up your friends when they visit and make it affordable to them. You might have to drive a little more, but you are going to end up driving in the area you selected.

Tax lightning. Our Republican candidate for Governor has come up with a plan that is incredible in its incoherence. The whole question is complex and I won't go into it here. But if she wins and is able to put her plan through, the last thing in the world you want to do is buy a house now. A rational person waits until after the election and the smoke clears.

I don't say this out of bias against our Republican nominee. I intended to vote for her, until she or her staff adopted this position.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 PM

60 posts, read 130,058 times
Can you elaborate more on the candidates tax plan?

The reason for the area I am looking in is that I like it. I don't want to feel "disconnected" from downtown and I really like the area. Now if there is some area I should consider that I am not, please let me know.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2010, 03:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
Tax lightning. Our Republican candidate for Governor has come up with a plan that is incredible in its incoherence. The whole question is complex and I won't go into it here. But if she wins and is able to put her plan through, the last thing in the world you want to do is buy a house now. A rational person waits until after the election and the smoke clears.
I can appreciate that it may be off topic for the present discussion but could you provide some sort of clues that we can follow up and learn about this issue? Thanks.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:04 PM

Tax lightning -- existing home owners are limited to a 3% annual increase in assessment. But if you buy a home, then the first year the sky is the limit. This means that new owners may pay two-three-four times what persons in comparable homes pay. This started about 2001. Thus if you bought 2001 to present you get the short end. I bought in 2005 and have paid an extra $10,000 in taxes to date. I am now limited to 3% increases, but since my base is larger, my increases are larger. Depending upon the value of your house, the tax cost to a homeowner over a lifetime might reasonably total $100,000. We are not talking peanuts.

However, when I sell my house I am not at a disadvantage. Whoever buys my neighbor's house also gets hit by tax lightning and will pay a comparable tax.

Tax lightning incidentally has been ruled unconstitutional by two courts in Bernalillo County and in response the assessor in that county alone is rolling everyone back to the same 3% a year increase.

Denish would end tax lightning and roll everyone back to a comparable assessment. In effect, making the whole state like Bernalillo County. And comparable homes would pay comparable taxes. And again you would be at no disadvantage when you sold your house.

Martinez would end tax lightning for future sales -- say starting say Jan 1, 2102.

But there would be no rollbacks. Thus if you bought your house in 2001-11 you would stuck forever paying 2-3-4 times what your neighbors pay. And the dollar difference would increase every year.

And when you sell your house and your neighbor sells his house, the buyers get your assessments. So your house will sell for considerably less than a comparable home with lower assessments. It is a total b-f for anybody who bought their house 2001 to 2011. There is a permanent disadvantaged minority in New Mexico and it is these buyers. So why buy a house now? Depending upon the value of your house, adding up extra taxes and lost resale, it cost you a couple of hundred thousand.

Martinez in addition has said she will leave Bernalillo County alone and thus we would have two different systems in the state. When this was pointed out to her, she said she would consider making it county option.

But if you are in the wrong county -- and Santa Fe is definitely the wrong county -- you still get the short end -- big annual tax bill and a hit on the resale value of your home. So, I would advise against buying now unless you can think $100,000.00 loss without blinking.

This is something that realtors might not want to hear. They should get their professional associations to pressure Martinez to move away from her position.

Last edited by Santa Fe; 09-06-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM

For a professional's explanation of the issues see:

Read more: ABQJOURNAL NEWS/STATE: Gov. Candidates Take on Tax Lightning ABQjournal.com: Albuquerque Journal
Subscribe Now Albuquerque Journal
[/LEFT]

Old 09-07-2010, 08:25 AM

332 posts, read 1,035,848 times
I don't know what the "official" realtor association position on this tax lightning business is. My personal position is that our property taxes are very low here and already the money for schools is pitiful, so I don't mind paying the taxes on the value I ASSIGNED to my home by buying it at the price I did. Yes it creates inequities - on my short street all of the homes have wildly different valuations depending on when they were bought - but as long as the buyer knows the situation going in (and it's a condition of disclosure on transactions now), I'm good with it. I don't agree that the assessment affects the value of one house versus another; the buyer knows that the valuation is based on the price she pays for the house, whatever the current valuation.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 AM

Default I don't know about that.

[quote=santafescribe;15786675] but as long as the buyer knows the situation going in (and it's a condition of disclosure on transactions now), I'm good with it. I don't agree that the assessment affects the value of one house versus another; the buyer knows that the valuation is based on the price she pays for the house, whatever the current valuation.[/quot

First, many of the people -- including me -- were not informed. It was not the law for years. It certainly would have been the ethical thing to inform us. Yet many realtors did not. Still Martinez would condemn me and about 40% of the population to pay higher taxes as long as we own our houses. So her proposal fails to meet your very basic test of fairness.

Second, two houses, identical side by side. A pays $1,000 per year in taxes. B pays $3,000. A $2,000 difference. That difference will get bigger with every increasing assessment and every tax rate increase. The city is consider one right now.

If we assume 3 per cent assessment increase every year, and NO tax increase, then over thirty years house B will pay $95,000 more in taxes.

Would I pay more money for A than B? Yes.

Third. If I could wait a year or so and make sure that I avoid paying that extra $95,000 then why not wait? Rent a year? I sure would.

I'm sorry -- it is a big incentive NOT to buy now. And people deserve to know. They shouldn't be treated like so many were.

Last edited by Santa Fe; 09-07-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
I agree that many buyers were unaware of the hit they would take, but I also see that
as largely their own responsibility. The various agents involved should have made the
situation clear, but the potential homeowner should always have a reasonable understanding
of their annual tax liabilities before making an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque