Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times

Advertisements

The ABQ meth myth makes for muy bueno TV!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:35 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,109 times
Dang someone beat me to the Breaking Bad jokes...

Anyways, when I went to high school in ABQ occasionally meth labs would blow up near the school and we'd have to go on lockdown for a while...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,987 times
Post Yes, there's a Meth problem in ABQ

There has been a huge problem with Meth in ABQ and unless you have someone you know who's involved in the lifestyle, you're more than likely to think it's not problematic. There are many labs in all parts of ABQ, Edgewood, Bernalillo and Moriarty. They are even coming up with new ways to make it now that it's more difficult for "pillers" to buy and steal Sudaphed.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunner505 View Post
There has been a huge problem with Meth in ABQ and unless you have someone you know who's involved in the lifestyle, you're more than likely to think it's not problematic. There are many labs in all parts of ABQ, Edgewood, Bernalillo and Moriarty. They are even coming up with new ways to make it now that it's more difficult for "pillers" to buy and steal Sudaphed.
Really? Do you have facts? The map is dated 2006. FRONTLINE: the meth epidemic: map - the reach of meth | PBS

Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 PM

372 posts, read 711,798 times
Meth use has been going down. Most of what was being used wasn't made in New Mexico, it was made in Mexico. Mexico has finally been able to fight the problem more and so people stopped using here because it was harder to get. Now we are back to heroin.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanrice View Post
Meth use has been going down. Most of what was being used wasn't made in New Mexico, it was made in Mexico. Mexico has finally been able to fight the problem more and so people stopped using here because it was harder to get. Now we are back to heroin.
This is correct. Since Mexico banned pseudoephedrine, meth trade and usage decreased. The downside is that people started using other drugs, namely heroine. Heroine usage tripled from 2006 to 2010 in Albuquerque. There was a front page article about this in the Albuquerque Journal on Sunday, March 6th. Copying the link isn't working, but you can google

Albuquerque Journal Justice System Sees Huge Increase in Heroin Cases

to get the link to the article.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
That seems to be more in line from my current understanding. Alcohol is also way up there, if you want to count it as a drug. I think some of the other states have higher meth problems than New Mexico... I did not look up the numbers (if current reliable ones are available).

Rich

Old 03-15-2011, 12:05 AM

220 posts, read 372,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Or run for public office. I seriously think we'd lose half of them if all our elected officials, judges, etc., had to undergo random drug testing to keep their jobs.

The question we need to ask ourselves is, why don't we random drug test people with the power to make us submit to drug tests?
You have a very good point!! Tomorrow I am going back to court to hopefully get my sentence terminated, after 2 1/3 years of probation for a non-violent and non-drug related crime. I'm not justifying my actions. I got what I deserved.

However, when I was in jail, pre-sentence, I was told by many illegal drug sellers, that there was a large market for pot, coke and "party girls" among judges, prosecutors and a couple of past police chiefs here in Honolulu, the very people who bring charges against the public. I do believe some of it, as there have been quite a few cases of cops being charged with vehicular manslaughter, and even pot possession over the years I've lived here.

I don't have any priors and I've never done any drugs, except a few joints my friends shared with me in high school. I've never bought drugs and never would. I won't go into all the documents that have been "lost" from my case file, annoying both me and my shrink.

I got what I deserved, and so should the ones in authority, prosecuting the rest of us. Some are very decent and do believe in rehab (thank God, my judge seems to be one), but some just seem to like giving out punishment and getting their pound of flesh.

No doubt, law enforcement/corrections can be very disillusioning careers, and some end up very jaded. However, most of the women inmates I meet in jail, some I became very fond of, and didn't remain in contact with because it would jeopardize my case, were not bad people. Most were desperate people, usually poor, who had made desperate and poor choices. Actually, only one very beautiful young woman struck me as a smart, manipulative sociopath. A few others were obviously sociopaths, just not very smart.

My shrink says there appears to be some projection in law enforcement/corrections/judicial system. It isn't, many times, about being just or justice.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM

372 posts, read 711,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
This is correct. Since Mexico banned pseudoephedrine, meth trade and usage decreased. The downside is that people started using other drugs, namely heroine. Heroine usage tripled from 2006 to 2010 in Albuquerque. There was a front page article about this in the Albuquerque Journal on Sunday, March 6th. Copying the link isn't working, but you can google

Albuquerque Journal Justice System Sees Huge Increase in Heroin Cases

to get the link to the article.
Doing heroine is alright, but I would stay away from heroin.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 AM

923 posts, read 2,419,752 times
Quote:
Doing heroine is alright, but I would stay away from heroin.
and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque