Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,034 times

Advertisements

Funny about those red light cameras.

I drive. A lot. Even for Albuquerque. On any given day, I'll be tooling around Albuquerque for a few hours. And I speed (usually not more than 10 over). Most of the time.

And I haven't gotten one citation from a camera. My family hasn't gotten one citation that I've heard of. My distant family has, but trust me, they were getting off light considering how airheaded they were at the time.

I used to see people running red lights frequently. Car, car, yellow, car, car, car, red, car, car, car, car, car.. I don't anymore.

It'd probably take people a while to get back in the habit if the cameras got shut off.. but they don't bother me because I don't break the law to that extent.

Methinks the cameras are staying. No matter how conservative our new mayor is, he's not likely to throw overboard a stream of tax revenue in these trying times. It's going to pay for those additional cops most people want.

Last edited by Zoidberg; 10-08-2009 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Didn't flow well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,884 times
I just wish a local company was reaping the profit from those badboys.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,034 times
Local is always better, but..

It's much harder for a maladjusted serial red-light runner to picket/assault/set afire a red light camera company if they're not in the U.S.

Kinda like how it's better for bill collectors, etc., to work from across state lines.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:33 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,037,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Yeah, bicycling and healthy food, those need to go away asap!

its one thing to have bicycle paths and health food stores but ABQ overdoes it on this, its like they do it to try and please others or cause they wanna be like Portland. They are obsessed.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,037,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
And smoking, we need more smoking.
its the principal of it all, if someone wants to smoke indoors and the owner allows it then they should, thats why they had smoking and non-smoking sections. I dont like some guy (mayor) making decisions for me like he knows whats best, if you like to follow the path of another than thats all on you.

its like the whole junk food in the vending machines at school thing, if a kid wants skittles after lunch then let that kid get some darn skittles instead of a nutri-grain bar, let the parents make the decisions on what the kid eats, the city obviously dosent want ex Mayor Marty making their decisions for them anymore.

Im surprised Marty didnt enforce a city wide dress code, I bet you would think this was alright too.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM

741 posts, read 2,924,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
its the principal of it all, if someone wants to smoke indoors and the owner allows it then they should, thats why they had smoking and non-smoking sections. I dont like some guy (mayor) making decisions for me...
Unfortunately, even if Berry wanted to have the local ABQ smoking bans taken off the books, the state wide ban that Guv. Bill signed into law in 2007 would still keep people from smoking inside private establishments.

Chap

Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,892 times
Desert Sun - the city "overdoes it" on bicycle paths and health food stores? That's one hell of an argument you're putting forth...

Most of the growth of bicycling infrastructure in ABQ is attributed to grassroots efforts by groups such as BikeABQ and others to make the city more bike-friendly. Look, there is NOTHING bad that comes from more people riding bikes and driving less, and the gains are enormous.

As for health food stores, that's a pretty simple supply and demand equation - the former mayor didn't plop them down in an effort to get everyone to ditch their diets of Blake's and Frontier...

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 AM

238 posts, read 635,327 times
Thumbs up That's Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
Well then I'm real happy Berry won, because in six days ABQ will become my new hometown. It's great a business man is running the show and not a politician. From your post I'm assuming your not, nor ever been a business owner or had to make a payroll. Let me try and teach you something....businesses don't pay taxes...THEY COLLECT THEM and pass them on to the government. Any and all costs to a business is rolled into the product or service they offer. Taxes are a cost. The consumer buys with the tax liability rolled in. Employee's pay are adjusted accordingly. If not enough consumers, then jobs and pay get cut until it's a sole proprietorship or completely out of business.

Wow. An entire semester of Economics 101 rolled up into one paragraph. Well done.

I am also glad Berry won. We need more people like him in office. Corporations almost never pay taxes, and when taxes are imposed by government, they are mostly passed down to the consumer in the form of higher prices. Three entities lose from this: the business, in the form of lost production, higher surplus, lost wages, and laid off employees; the consumer in the form of lower wages and/or lost jobs; and the government, in the form of not being able to collect a tax on the products not being sold which they imposed on them in the first place.

I swear, some of the people in office seem to have never taken a basic economics class. Look what happens when you CUT taxes. More growth, jobs, and spending. Our film incentives are a perfect example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjett View Post
Obviously it doesn't work verbatim, but you get the gist. Oh and if there are no businesses there are no jobs. So lets hope he cuts taxes, cuts government waste and spurs growth & opportunity for all of ABQ. And if water is an issue, lets demand he tables that as a problem that must be solved for any sustainable growth.

I've heard the whole water thing since I was born. I don't think we will ever run out of water. And there is new technology out there that can make water out of thin air. Not that I don't encourage conservation, because I certainly do.

Berry also needs to concentrate on the high amount of crime in the area, which he says he will do. I tend to believe him.

--BtK

Old 10-09-2009, 08:13 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,224,884 times
Yeah... let's use up all of the easy to get water... we can always delsalinate other sources of water. Or use an ENORMOUS amount of energy "making "water out of thin air."

Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,092,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun ( on bike paths )
its one thing to have bicycle paths ..,. but ABQ overdoes it on this, ....
Please define "overdoes."

Are the trails too wide for you?
Do they inconvenience you?
Does it bother you that people utilize them and enjoy them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun ( on health food stores )
... health food stores but ABQ overdoes it on this ...
Why would you possibly care if someone opens a health food store?

ABQ government is not building and opening health food
stores any more than they open Burger King restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque