Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,455 times

Advertisements

Transferring to Kirtland AFB in July....desperately trying to decide on Rio Rancho (found house in Cleveland HS area) or West Albuquerque (house in Volcano Vista HS area). Greatschools has no info on VVHS as it is so new. Get a better vibe from CHS, but the commute would be awful to KAFB....any reviews on these 2 high schools? Safety, quality of education, are biggest concerns. Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
I gather you've picked those neighborhoods because you wanted new construction at a low price (or perhaps a new high school).

I'd expect comparable performance, and not top-of-the-heap but above-average school quality. And a lot of commuting time.

If you want new construction at a low price, it can be had within 5 minutes northeast of KAFB. But perhaps that's only appropriate for people who want to work in downtown Rio Rancho.

I never will understand why people gravitate toward throwing an hour of their day away, every day, sitting in traffic. Why is it so unthinkable to not live on the opposite end of a metro area from where you work?

Old 05-02-2011, 09:27 AM

58 posts, read 181,351 times
And I will never understand why people get so bent up about where others choose to live. I've lived in Rio Rancho for 2 years now commuting to KAFB, I don't "sit" in traffic unless there is an accident, and rather enjoy the time (about 40 min each way) as my personal time to relax and listen to music, as both work and home with kids can be hectic. I think you'd be fine with either school, my oldest goes to Rio Rancho High but has friends at both Cleveland and VV, and I've heard good things about both.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,455 times
Schools are the primary/most important reason we would choose to live so far from the base....nothing to do with new construction, etc. If we could find/afford a nice sized house in the La Cueva/Eldorado HS areas, we would gladly live there (as long as it didn't have swamp coolers). Trust me, we are not choosing this commute on purpose! We'd live on base, actually, if the schools were half way decent!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:11 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaverty View Post
And I will never understand why people get so bent up about where others choose to live.
Not bent up so much as bewildered, but you made a well-argued case here. Still, jamming out on a bicycle for an hour suits many people just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarycon View Post
Schools are the primary/most important reason we would choose to live so far from the base....nothing to do with new construction, etc. If we could find/afford a nice sized house
Not sure what your definition of nice sized is, but if you're talking north of 2000 sqft, it kinda does have a lot to do with new, since the average new home size has ballooned significantly in the past 20 years and most of E Albuquerque was built out prior.

Quote:
(as long as it didn't have swamp coolers).
Again, pretty much a new construction thing, though putting refrigerated air in a house with swamp is very possible and inexpensive compared to the house's price. Could require it as a closing term.

Quote:
Trust me, we are not choosing this commute on purpose! We'd live on base, actually, if the schools were half way decent!
If you use Cibola & RRHS as proxies for the two schools you mentioned (not perfect but certainly better than other nearby schools such as WMHS or Bernalillo), their scores on greatschools.org come up as comparable to Manzano HS, which is the cluster appropriate to SE Albuquerque (and communities in the canyon).

The 10's on their list (incl. RRPS) are La Cueva, Eldorado, and Sandia.
9's are RRHS, Cibola, and Manzano.

If you're stuck at less than $150k for 2000+sf 4/2+ houses, you're probably going to have very few choices east of I-25; that I'll admit. North of $150k you owe it to yourself to take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque