Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
It appears to me from reading it that the HHS will cover the medical expenses and that the companies and health care providers are protected from lawsuits related to the vaccine.
OK. As I read it, you'd have to prove gross misconduct first, not just an adverse
reaction or injury. And if such was actually proven, the government coverage
would not kick in until all other other possible means of coverage had been
exhausted first.. i.e. "coverage of last resort".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:51 AM

60 posts, read 163,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I take the current update seriously. Others of course are free to choose freely.

Reference: CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

Rich
But how different are these numbers from other years? Using a term like "higher than normal" doesn't say a whole lot.
When the government and the press start implying this is a "killer" and then begin throwing out historical data from the Spanish flu, I feel it causes unwarranted panic. The Spanish flu outbreak was a true pandemic to be concerned about. It was killing high numbers of people throughout the world - H1N1 is not.

The other day I read some data that showed the H1N1 has been infecting people a lot sooner in the year and therefore we are going to have a HUGE spike during the normal flu season. But, they also say that the H1N1 has a tendency to spread quickly. So doesn't it make sense that we are going to see a flu spike earlier and not a continual upward movement of cases?

Although I take virus seriously, I think it's being overstated big time and it makes me ask why? Is it to distract the public from bigger issues or is just incompetence? I hate to see what would occur in a true pandemic.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffohray View Post
But how different are these numbers from other years? Using a term like "higher than normal" doesn't say a whole lot.
I never said that. I quoted from the web site "The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and has been higher than what is expected at this time of year for two weeks." I did not look up the exact data which I am sure on the web site.
Quote:
When the government and the press start implying this is a "killer" and then begin throwing out historical data from the Spanish flu, I feel it causes unwarranted panic.
Since April 2009, CDC has received reports of 95 laboratory-confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths in the US.
Quote:
The Spanish flu outbreak was a true pandemic to be concerned about. It was killing high numbers of people throughout the world - H1N1 is not.
Perhaps the "Spanish Flu" is referenced because it was the H1N1 strain. The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish Flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1.

Rich

Old 10-25-2009, 09:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
CDC: 1 in 5 Kids Had Flu-Like Illness This Month - ABC News

According to this story, 1 in 5 children have already had a flu-like virus this month, most likely swine flu. For most, the illness has been mild.

It seems ironic that with all the concern to either "get the shot" or "not get the shot", we are very efficiently being immunized against the virus by...getting the virus.

Maybe Alanis Morrisette could write a song about it.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Since April 2009, CDC has received reports of 95 laboratory-confirmed pediatric 2009 H1N1 deaths in the US.

From what I've found on the internet the Spanish Flu pandemic killed 3% of the population. For the h1n1 to come close to this level, 60,000 people in NM would die, 9 million in the US. The last I heard, about 1000 have died in the US.
That's hardly a reason to incite panic in the population. It's irresponsible.

The leaders in this country are not fit to be captain on the SS Minnow.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:48 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
"That's hardly a reason to incite panic in the population."

I don't see any of our leaders "inciting panic"...can you give specifics?

All I see is poor communication on a local level and the same, although not quite as much, at a higher level.

I don't know anyone who is panicking...

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"That's hardly a reason to incite panic in the population."

I don't see any of our leaders "inciting panic"...can you give specifics?

All I see is poor communication on a local level and the same, although not quite as much, at a higher level.

I don't know anyone who is panicking...
Obama declared a state of emergency the other day, correct?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,468 times
Yes, because :

"Administration officials said the emergency declaration was a pre-emptive move designed to make decisions easier when they need to be made. Officials said the move was not in response to any single development.
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius now has authority to bypass federal rules when opening alternative care sites, such as offsite hospital centers at schools or community centers if hospitals seek permission. "

So how is this inciting panic?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM

My perception...
From the beginning, the H1N1 issue has been described a pandamec along with mentioning the Spanish flu in the same breath. You can probably blame journalists for this but our feerless leader has done very little to calm people down or even put this into a perspective that most people will understand.
IMO, when all the dust settles the h1n1 will have killed more than a typical flu season but it wont be on a scale even close to a "true" pandemic.
Assuming this will be the case, what is the purpose behind having non-stop coverage on slightly bad flu year? The numbers do not warrant the level of attention being given. I can understand the motivation for the press but why our feerless leader has been sitting on his hands and not doing his job (reduce fear) simply amazes me.
Perhaps it's because of Katrina? Are they afraid people will blame him for a virus like Bush was blamed for the weather?

Just some thoughts

Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,453 times
Let's cut to the chase...

pan·dem·ic (pn-dmk)adj.1. Widespread; general.
2. Medicine Epidemic over a wide geographic area and
affecting a large proportion of the population: pandemic influenza.

n. A pandemic disease.

[From Late Latin pandmus, from Greek pandmos, of all the people :
pan-, pan- + dmos, people; see d- in Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by
Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

H1N1 has easily fit the medical definition of pandemic for a number of months
and seems to be especially virulent in children, the population group that
responsible adults are most concerned about protecting from any form of harm.

It's being called a pandemic because it IS a pandemic and its rapid spread
across the world closely parallels that of the 1918 "Spanish Influenza" making
that a valid comparison.

There isn't any "panic" nor is it the government, Obama, WHO or some sort
of media conspiracy that is distorting the reality of the situation. The distortions
come from those who are using this to promote various agendas having
nothing to do with disease control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque