Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm-native View Post
Have to throw my 2 cents in here about the East Mountain areas...

1- Crime: Well, I left the garage open at my house for 2 weeks while on vacation (yeah, I felt STUPID when I got home to see it that way) and you know what, everything was still in there when I returned. I live in Tijeras around the Sedillo Hill area. So, I would say crime is very low in my area.

2- All over quality of living: Housing is a little more out here, but typically comes with at least an acre or so. I would say it is probably a little better than ABQ, but I am partial to this area.

3- Water: the big issue out in the East Mountains. You probably want to find a place on a water system (like Entranosa) as many have problems with their wells out here. If you are accustomed to a water bill, it isn't that big of a deal.

4- Wind: Yes, it does blow here. But, at least there are some trees out here to block a little of it. I have driven down into ABQ on a major windy day and not been able to see a mile down I-40 because all the dirt from the west side of town is blowing across the city. It is a desert, so expect some dirt blowing around from time to time.

5- All towns in desert areas? No. If you go just east of ABQ into the East Mountains it does not seem like desert. Temps are usually 5 degrees cooler than ABQ. And the back of the Sandia Mtn. range is actually GREEN on the east side... Once you get about 30 miles east out of ABQ, it does get a little more brown, but still isn't like the Sahara. Areas around Santa Fe (east side towards Glorietta and Pecos) are not desert-like as well. But, oyu will have to pay for that green.

6- Climate: 80s? There are only a few days a year that it might get to 100 in ABQ, and I haven't seen it hit that in the East Mountains. I would pick a 95 degree day here in NM over a 80 degree day in more humidity any day. Warm days and very nice evenings. Perfect convertible weather once the sun goes down (or bike weather). There are places that get snow (mountain areas). ABQ actually did get some last year (that didn't melt away in 2 hours). If you are from Montana, you will not have a problem with the level of snow received here.

7- People moving from other states: as far as I have seen, there have been no problems with people moving in from other states. I am originally from NM, but had lived in CO before coming back to NM. So, as far as others knew, I was from Denver. I wasn't treated any different than someone that moved here from somewhere else in the state.

I do have to comment on teh commute thing. When we were first looking at the area, we looked at a house in Rio Rancho. We were going to get more 'bang for our buck" out there, but the commute from there to DH work in the NE part of town (Eubank and I-40) was going to be a pain (something we wanted to not repeat as we were moving in from Denver). The commute from the East Mountains is less stressful. The only disadvantage is that there are only so many roads to use to get out here, and if there is an accident on one of them (like I-40), be prepared to wait around in traffic until the accident or whatever is removed.

I would strongly recommend the areas in Tijeras, Sandia Park, Cedar Crest and Edgewood. We are looking at moving (job relocation) to another area in the state, and one of my requirements was that it was as close to this area as I could get elsewhere....

Hope this helps.
I'll be moving to NM to work for Eclipse Aviation located by the airport. I'm to buy a place with a good school for my 5 years old boy and not more than 30 minutes commute from work. How's Rio Rancho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,292,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arriolaj View Post
I'll be moving to NM to work for Eclipse Aviation located by the airport. I'm to buy a place with a good school for my 5 years old boy and not more than 30 minutes commute from work. How's Rio Rancho?
Are you going to be working out at the double eagle airport or by the Abq sunport?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:57 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,034 times
In pretty much either case, living near UNM or downtown may be your best option.

*Some elementary schools in the area are pretty good
*Centrally located
*You go against the flow of rush hour traffic to either destination

Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,608,505 times
Placitas would be my choice ....one of nicest areas I've seen ...with views to die for .... the Sandia Mtns look amazing when viewed from Placitas ...if you can afford it... in Placitas the homes are fantastic ...custom built SW style mostly ...($ 400,000 +)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque