Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:02 AM

49 posts, read 107,653 times

Advertisements

I see this thread is about grocery stores but does anyone frequent the farmers markets or belong to a csa? I'm really looking forward to the fresh produce that I don't really get or can't afford in nyc.

I am one of those TJ lovers. It is the cheapest quality place in manhattan for staple items (pasta, rice, canned goods, nuts, dried fruit, milk, cheese, eggs, frozen items). It's runs about 50% cheaper than most groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl567 View Post
does anyone frequent the farmers markets
On occasion, We stop at the one in Corrales on occasion as we drive by it often and have been to the one in Rio Rancho recently.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 12-25-2016 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl567 View Post
I see this thread is about grocery stores but does anyone frequent the farmers markets or belong to a csa? I'm really looking forward to the fresh produce that I don't really get or can't afford in nyc.

I am one of those TJ lovers. It is the cheapest quality place in manhattan for staple items (pasta, rice, canned goods, nuts, dried fruit, milk, cheese, eggs, frozen items). It's runs about 50% cheaper than most groceries.
There is good produce at pretty much all of the grower's markets (Los Ranchos, Downtown, Corrales, etc). Another great resource is Los Poblanos Organics. We used to get their box delivered every other week and it was a lot of fun eating delicious local produce and being creative with whatever they happened to put in the box that week.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
I'll second Marmom's comments about the noticeably superior quality at Kellers.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat
Costco for bulk
Raisin bran works for me.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
I'll second everyone who recommended:

Keller's -for the meats and an interesting selection of dry goods

Los Poblanos (csa) -I dig through a friend's box for the stuff he and his wife don't like/ can't eat enough of and have to get my own

Farmer's markets -there are quite a few spread throughout town

Old 08-18-2010, 06:54 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Raisin bran works for me.
Speaking of costco and Raisin Bran, Costco used to be the only place that sold Raisin Bran with no sugar in it, and yet no more.

Does anyone know a place in Albuquerque to find raisin bran with no added sugar? (Kelloggs, Post, etc. may have two scoops of raisins but they also have two scoops of sugar too). Even the health food versions (Total) add sugar, as if it's not raisin bran without the sugar.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:57 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,703 times
Default Nutro Dog Food

There are dog foods and there are dog foods. I would never feed a dog 'Science' Diet. I do feed mine Nutro, either chicken and rice or lamb and rice.

Basically, check the ingredients first. First few ingredients should be meat. Not meal, not by-product. Just chicken, lamb, ,beef salmon, whatever.

Avoid all corn and other grain products, they are mostly filler and you will just end up scooping more.

Raw diet is probably excellent, but most people don't have the time for that.

My dog also likes yoghurt... as do I .

Old 08-21-2010, 08:58 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
I would never feed a dog Nutro, it was one of the brands affected by the Chinese wheat gluten recall that killed pets. No thanks!

We use Taste of the Wild for the cats ( grain free ) and Go! Duck ( with oatmeal for her Shar Pei sensitive skin ) for the dog. Both made in Canada using no crappy Chinese anything.

And we buy our food at Long Leash on Life, an excellent pet food store.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Speaking of costco and Raisin Bran, Costco used to be the only place that sold Raisin Bran with no sugar in it, and yet no more.

Does anyone know a place in Albuquerque to find raisin bran with no added sugar? (Kelloggs, Post, etc. may have two scoops of raisins but they also have two scoops of sugar too). Even the health food versions (Total) add sugar, as if it's not raisin bran without the sugar.
Barbara's makes a high fiber cranberry that's similar to raisin bran.

Have you looked at Trader Joe's brand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque