Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 8,953 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I simply wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm considering relocating to Albuquerque and I'll be in town this Tuesday night, December 8 through Monday morning, December 14 to get a feel for life there.

I'm a single guy originally from Kalamazoo, Michigan but I've spent the last 12 years or so doing development work in Latin America and managing non-profit organizations in New York City. I'm also a writer, actor, and lover of vibrant public spaces and the outdoors.

I'm weary of the pace and expense of living in places like NYC, not to mention the lack of sunshine in much of Michigan and New York in the winter. A good friend and mentor of mine suggested Albuquerque as a place that might be more to my liking.

Among the organizations I'm meeting with during my visit are Catholic Charities, the NM Association of Grantmakers, United South Broadway, First Unitarian Church and Richard Rohr's Center for Action and Contemplation. As for the fun stuff, this forum has been a great source of info about worthwhile things to do and see. If anyone has any suggestions on other things I might enjoy, I'm all ears. Can't wait for my trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,479,557 times
I currently live in the suburbs of NYC and like you, I've also grown tired of the fast pace, the high cost of living and the less than ideal climate here (it seems we can't go more than 3 or 4 days without it raining here, doesn't it?). Albuquerque's CVB claims that the city has 300 days of sunshine a year, which sounds pretty good to me!

I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the area if you have time to post them in this thread. This could help me decide if I want to make a visit in the near future.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:23 AM

123 posts, read 236,531 times
my suggestions as a DC transplant:
Hike the Sandia foothill trails
Ride the Sandia tram
Drink a beer at Marble Street Brewery (downtown)
Check out the Andaluz Hotel lounge and restaurant (downtown)
Have a drink on the Imbibe patio (Nob Hill)
Have a drink at Two Fools (Nob Hill)
Shop at the Albuquerque Store (Nob Hill)
Shop at Hey Johnny (Nob Hill)
Ride the Railrunner to Santa Fe

And here's my blog on ABQ Urban/Green projects: ABQ Dwell

Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, abqdwell--and I dig the blog. Do you work in a planning or architecture-related field?

manyroads, I'll try to post my impressions post-trip.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
All of the above excellant!

Also walk around, shop, eat at Old Town in Albuquerque.

Rich

Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Try the red and green chile! You may need to acquire a taste for it.

A visit to the Frontier Restaurant on Central Avenue will give you a feel for the down to earth people who live in ABQ.

Old Town - a must! I also think the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center is pretty neat.

A visit to Sandia Peak to see the incredible view is a must as well.

Are you flying into town? Don't rush through the Sunport -- stand back and look around -- it has more atmosphere that any other airport I have been in throughout this country.

And come up to see Santa Fe - it has a charm all its own!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM

123 posts, read 236,531 times
Hey msholler,

Happy to help. I don't work in those fields (planning or architecture). They are more of a hobby. I see so many good urban/green things happening here. But I'm impatient and want to see more. The project that really needs to happen is the proposed convention hotel, entertainment area, and arena. You can read about it here: ABQFUTURE (http://abqfuture.com/Project-Plan.aspx - broken link) click on the renderings on right. This project would really be the exclamation point on all the good things that have happened. Downtown has made significant strides in my short four years here. But it really needs something that will draw to 7K to 12K folks on a regular basis. The ancillary benefits to all of the restaurants would be tremendous. Plus, it's proximity to the new Railrunner commuter train is so perfect. Have a great time while you are here. BTW: We are set to get some weather so plan accordingly. On that note: There is something pretty cool about snow on cactus.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:54 PM

My cup runneth over with more recommendations! Excellent.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM

923 posts, read 2,424,379 times
A bit touristy, but you should really check out Old Town in Albuquerque this time of year with the holiday decorations. Also, you could visit the River of Lights display any evening at the Botanical Gardens (cost is $7)

River of Lights - Rio Grande Botanic Garden - City of Albuquerque

and the Bugg light display at the Menaul School.

Menaul School, Albuquerque NM

"Bugg" is the last name of the family that started the holiday light display in their front yard years ago. The display became so popular that it had to be moved to a larger venue. It's pretty amazing. I think the Bugg light display is free.

Being around other people in these environments will give you a feel for the population, friendliness, etc...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM

963 posts, read 2,306,365 times
My advice is to rent a car and see some of the sights between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. I am a New Yorker who lived in Albuquerque for three years, and yearns to come back!

Two great routes: The Turquoise Trail - You will see Madrid, funky former ghost town that is now an artists commune and tourist attraction and get a good sense of the natural beauty that borders ABQ.

The Jemez Mountain Trail: A personal fave. Elk in the Valles Caldera, handsome red rock vistas near the Jemez Pueblo, fishing, hiking, great photos opps and you wind up in Santa Fe for dinner.

Also, if you are a skier, taking the tram up the Sandias is a treat.

Enjoy it! And be sure to sample some authentic New Mexico cuisine!

Jemez Red Rock near the Jemez Pueblo (Jemez Mountain Trail)

http://stylepeterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/jemez-new-mexico.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque