Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM

238 posts, read 634,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post

Why do you say that?

Nearly $40 million for a high school stadium??? That's a lot of bones to be forking out. The Pit's renovation is $60 million, and I am still figuring out where all of it went.

I am all in favor of building a nice, new sports complex, but that price tag seems to be out of the ordinary. And go online to read about all the complaints of how crappy it was built.

Same day, different dollar in the Land of Entrapment.

--BtK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
With such a p*ss-poor graduation and competency rate, APS (and NM in general)
needs to change focus away from sports and back onto academics and general
preparatory programs. Being a first string forward or QB on a HS JV team ain't
gonna do much to raise you outta poverty...

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,154 times
^ I agree the money for APS is not well spent more often than not. However, I wholeheartidly disagree that more money for public schools does not correlate to a better learning environment. I guess my experience is mostly from my hometown of Omaha, where schools were always well - funded and all public schools afforded a quality education. I also spent a fair amount of time working for a charter school in Boston that received alot of money for ground-breaking innovations in learning, and has received loads of appraise from all over the country for what it's accomplished (100% graduation rate as a Boston public school, run as a charter). So, I may be biased, and would like to learn more about how APS might be improved.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,806,048 times
More money for public schools may or may not result in better learning. There are numerous examples of school systems that spend lower amounts with high student compentencies and graduation rates and systems that spend heaping amounts with low competencies. I recall seeing one study that showed a correlation between money spent and student success that was only slightly higher than randomness.

On the surface, there appears to be significant waste in school system spending and I think there should be far more accountability by officials before any additional funds get thrown into the hole. Before any new taxes are assessed, there should be specific plans by the school system for spending the money, specific measurements of success or failure of the expenditure, and a mechanism for the new tax to continue or disappear if those plans are not met by the expenditures.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Perhaps that school gets more money because it's proven its effectiveness.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:58 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
AZGolfer.

How long have you lived in Albuquerque? I remember growing up, we used to hate playing in those old ass stadiums built in the 1940's. I'm sorry but our kids need a place to play games at, this would make the west side huge in football and soccer. Our kids deserve it. The plans for the sucker are amazing. Now I send my kid to Pius. But I sure am I voting for the Bond because I believe better schools make a difference. Turns out this will NOT raise our taxes.

Helping our kids and our schools, no matter if it is a athletic field is never a waste of money.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
AZGolfer.

How long have you lived in Albuquerque? I remember growing up, we used to hate playing in those old ass stadiums built in the 1940's. I'm sorry but our kids need a place to play games at, this would make the west side huge in football and soccer. Our kids deserve it. The plans for the sucker are amazing. Now I send my kid to Pius. But I sure am I voting for the Bond because I believe better schools make a difference. Turns out this will NOT raise our taxes.

Helping our kids and our schools, no matter if it is a athletic field is never a waste of money.

A kid does not deserve to play sports if he only has a 50% chance of graduating.

What, specifically, will the schools be doing with the money to make them better?

I thought your kid attended the BEST public elem school on the west side?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
AZGolfer.

Now I send my kid to Pius. But I sure am I voting for the Bond because I believe better schools make a difference. Turns out this will NOT raise our taxes.

I thought you said your kid went to Palo Verde HS in Las Vegas.

Best High School for Sports in Las Vegas?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
I don't know how he could, he's only 8.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9359246-post18.html

Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I thought you said your kid went to Palo Verde HS in Las Vegas.

Best High School for Sports in Las Vegas?
Hey you actually pay attention. Thats still good.

Yes Domino, I transfered my son to Palo Verde when I moved.
In case you havent noticed I moved back to Las Vegas.. for awhile.
I sent him there to play Varsity on the Football and basketball teams cause he refused to go to Oasis.

And I have two sons. One attends Palo Verde and the other I forgot.... the name of the Elem school. I get confused.. but there is like 3 elemetary schools like in 5 blocks.

And Karma, I do understand what you mean 50% graduation rate. But This is somewaht important. A safety issue not so much a "needed one".

Last edited by bradly; 01-09-2010 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: Teams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque