Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM

274 posts, read 370,919 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for your feedback, very helpful!

ABQSunseeker, I see what you mean about not moving there just to avoid what I don't like about living here. I guess I spent all my time saying what I didn't like instead of talking about what I think we would like about NM!

I spent a short time in Arizona, and the atmosphere was very appealing, although probably just plain too hot for me to deal with long term. But I loved the wide open spaces feel, mountain views, the dry air, the American Indian / Mexican influences. NM seems to be a tempered version of AZ, with maybe a little more flair, but that's just my impression!

GregW - I hear you about the driving. We don't have the advantages of the T out here in the burbs, so I'm used to having to drive everywhere anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM

274 posts, read 370,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That paragraph seems to be your major concern...

It is laid back. I would not exactly say their attitudes are "live and let live vibe" but live, it's more a live and don't try to encroach... Just come on down and enjoy, don't compare here with there (wherever you came from). Don't complain because we don't have "xyter" clothing stores, or "xtrghters" chain of restaurants here. I don't know if I made any sense, maybe because my opinion and culture might be different. I knew what I was coming to when we came in in 1998 (I had been out here several times since 1968).

So come on out for a visit!

New Mexico Tourism Department

Rich
No worries, I've already accepted the fact that I probably won't have the awesome Chinese and Italian food that we have around here. It's a trade off I guess!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Here's a comparison of food choices vs. the northeast:

The good:
*Italian: Not so bad here; you may be pleasantly surprised.
*Chinese: Just as good here.
*Vietnamese/Thai: Just as good here.
*Hamburgers: As good here as anywhere.
*Mexican/New Mexican Food: You're covered.

The bad:
*Pizza: A million different varieties; some are good, but most aren't so great. No deep dish anywhere.
*Seafood: Red Lobster isn't so bad when you consider the nearest ocean's almost 1000 miles away; plus, a large proportion of NE seafood comes from west coast fisheries anyway.
*Donuts: There are about 4 Dunkin' Donuts total in Albuquerque, without a commensurate increase in other brands. (In the NE, they're as or more common than Mcdonald's.) Donuts just aren't as big out here.
*Barbecue: Some places are great, some ehh. Haven't ever tried NE barbecue, if there's any out there.
*Produce: NM can grow a few things, but greens have to be imported from far away, making salads and vegetables a real disappointment if you've ever lived closer to America's salad bowls.
*Hot dogs: As long as you steer clear of restaurants that don't focus on hot dogs (their buns tend to go stale) they're not so bad at places like Wienerschnitzel.

The ugly:
*Cheesesteaks: Import your hoagie spread; you are S.O.L. for a decent cheesesteak.
*Deli: There's the occasional bright spot, but if you consider Subway to _not_ be a sandwich shop because what they serve doesn't meet the minimum requirements of being a sandwich, then you will have to go without. Breads in particular tend to be mass-produced and bland in the local sandwich shops. Jason's Deli and McAlester's Deli are the top of the heap for this sort of food, and even then..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
*Chinese: Just as good here.
Where? I probably haven't tried enough places, but there was decent-to-good Chinese food all over in the Philadelphia area. Here, it seems that I am going to need to drive some distance to get to one a good Chinese restaurant. (Granted, I am spoiled in that I used to be within walking distance of a Chinatown, but even eliminating the restaurants in Chinatown, there were always plenty of good enough Chinese restaurants around. On a recent trip home for a family funeral, I ate a Chinese restaurant in a suburban neighborhood where I used to live, and I would love to have one as good as that near me now.)

Quote:
*Produce: NM can grow a few things, but greens have to be imported from far away, making salads and vegetables a real disappointment if you've ever lived closer to America's salad bowls.
Yeah, this is depressing, since I thrive on that stuff. Although some of this can be grown here, since I have had some decent locally grown arugula and chard.

Quote:
*Hot dogs: As long as you steer clear of restaurants that don't focus on hot dogs (their buns tend to go stale) they're not so bad at places like Wienerschnitzel.
I haven't tried it yet, but there's a new Italian hotdog place downtown (maybe not even open yet). Italian hotdogs? I'm not even sure what that means.

Quote:
*Deli: There's the occasional bright spot, but if you consider Subway to _not_ be a sandwich shop because what they serve doesn't meet the minimum requirements of being a sandwich, then you will have to go without. Breads in particular tend to be mass-produced and bland in the local sandwich shops. Jason's Deli and McAlester's Deli are the top of the heap for this sort of food, and even then..
DG's Deli is pretty good. Also, Al's Bigger Dipper downtown has excellent sandwiches, though it isn't a deli per se, and some of what they offer is more fusion-y, but they do it well.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:42 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Here's a comparison of food choices vs. the northeast:

The bad:

*Seafood: Red Lobster isn't so bad when you consider the nearest ocean's almost 1000 miles away; plus, a large proportion of NE seafood comes from west coast fisheries anyway.
I beg to differ, NE seafood comes from NE. NE lobster is totally different from CA lobster. Its the real deal.

*Donuts: There are about 4 Dunkin' Donuts total in Albuquerque, without a commensurate increase in other brands. (In the NE, they're as or more common than Mcdonald's.) Donuts just aren't as big out here. If you want decent donuts, make them yourself. Krispie Kreme is here and they are awful.

The biggest thing I miss is a good italian sandwich, have yet to find one. Luckily they are very easy to make. And, Maine seafood.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-29-2011 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I beg to differ, NE seafood comes from NE. NE lobster is totally different from CA lobster. Its the real deal.
I've eaten seafood in Boston at the Summer Shack. The lobster may have been east coast but most of the fish wasn't (was still delicious though). Wouldn't be surprised if most other seafood in the area is the same but they just neglect to mention it's not from local waters (what do you mean this isn't local Chilean sea bass?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Where? I probably haven't tried enough places, but there was decent-to-good Chinese food all over in the Philadelphia area.
Depends what you like, whether it's the asian fusion you might find at PF Chang's or Pei Wei, upscale like Sushiya, Korean/Chinese like Yen Ching, Dim Sum, the little been-there-since-the-60's hole in the wall places, and the same-red-menu-with-the-zodiac-signs places that opened in the past year. If you can't find Chinese you like in this town you really are too picky.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Donuts: Albuquerque has two Krispy Kreme stores...

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
I agree with AP, the Chinese food in the Philly area is much better than here, plus, Chinese food places do not deliver here!!!!

You can't get a real Cheesesteak here, but can you in Mass?? DG's is pretty close but they just don't have the bread.

I also miss the Italian Deli's, the selection of meats, the homemade style meatballs, the sauce, the chicken, the pastries and the bread! The rolls here are not the same and to me that is the biggest part of the sandwich.

Pizza is different, it took me awhile to get used to the green chile on a pizza but now I love it. I do miss the Stromboli's, Garlic Rolls and Sicilian Pizza though.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I agree with AP, the Chinese food in the Philly area is much better than here, plus, Chinese food places do not deliver here!!!!
If you google "chinese places deliver in albuquerque" you'll see a few dozen counterexamples. I somehow get the impression that if your second point was that far off, the first one can't be too spot on either.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
I did not find 36 counterexamples.

I found the following:

1. Ko Palace which requires a $25 minimum + 15% fee and does not deliver to where I live.

From another site I found one in the UNM area which delivers in the UNM area and one on city-data one up on Wyoming & Academy which again does not deliver to me and has only opened in the last six months.

Companies that go pick up your food for you do not count.

Completely in contrast to South Jersey where it is the norm for Chinese places to deliver.

I somehow get the impression that if your math was that far off, any other posts including mathematical calculations can't be too spot on either.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque