Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:45 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,515,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
(I've said it before, and it sounds funny to say, but I really don't value friendliness much. Consideration, politeness, helpfulness: yes. Friendliness: not really. I am basically an introvert. I am not into lots of talk with random people. I am very selective about who I form real friendships with. Too many friendly people are also boring.)
I love the fact Abq. people are so friendly it makes visiting a joy. Friendly people are boring (?) not found that so at all.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-24-2016 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 04:58 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,946,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Friendly people are boring
Not what I said. Not all friendly people are boring by any means, but too many of them turn out to be (and quickly, not just over a long period of time). I guess I should just stop posting to this thread, I'm not adding anything new.

Not everyone likes or values the same things.

Maybe if I give off a more negative vibe people won't be so friendly to me!

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 03-30-2016 at 05:52 PM..

Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 PM

10 posts, read 11,726 times
I've personally found New Mexicans rude compared to people in NY. A lot of two-faced personalities. Maybe I've just adjusted to the attitude of NYers after 14 yrs of living there and I need to give myself a longer adjustment time here in NM.

I also miss the rain and lush greenery that NY offered (outside of NYC). Miss kayaking 3-4x a week. Miss autumn and apple flavored everything. I love monsoon season here in NM though.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,246,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I miss the go go go.
Especially when you need something DONE DONE DONE. Or fast fast fast.

Pretty much on their schedule and at their mercy. So different from back East.

It's great when you're on vacation and visiting NM and doing nothing more pressing than drinking jalapeno margaritas or enjoying a laidback weekend in town; not so great when you have deadlines for employees or if you have early morning meetings that everyone just kind of trickles in and shows up whenever, or folks who can't understand why at an 8:00 AM meeting showing up at 8:09 is any kind of "a big deal." Or when you are running errands and need stuff done around town and everyone just kind of yawns and looks at you smiling. It feels like the whole state sometimes acts like they work at the DMV when it comes to your important issues. And this is in Albuquerque, the "go go go" part of NM. And it's all aspects of daily ABQ life, from bartenders to car repair folks to employees in an office to anyone (school districts, police departments, hospitals, etc) dealing with important social and community issues.

In short, I think the entire state's motto is "We'll Get To It When We Get Around To It."

It's laid back, and I have a real love/hate relationship with that for the reasons here. Love relaxing to it, hate the apathy during the work week that some inconsiderate folks insist on using under the guise of "mellow and relaxed and low pressure." It's good that it's NOT a pressure cooker like back East, but in ABQ I don't think the stove's even turned on at all. At least have SOME heat on the stove, so I can get my car repaired in the near future or have an office call me back sometime this week (I know better than to expect anything done the same day).

Last edited by kpl1228; 03-31-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 08:34 PM

522 posts, read 696,660 times
Oh, I've been waiting to get these off my chest!

-The dominant personality here is withdrawn
-Everyone drives slowly here
-People are off in their own little worlds most of the time
-It's very isolated (nearest actual city is Denver)
-The landscape West of the city gets really creepy (It looks Martian in nature)
-People here are polite but not necessarily the most engaging
-Giant suburbs
-The dry air makes my skin look horrendous
-In the Spring there are HUGE wind storms and it blows dust in my eyes
-Allergies are beyond horrible for some reason
-The beach is too far away

Still, just when I think I'm beginning to loathe this city it does something quirky to make me like it again.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM

522 posts, read 696,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Well, that's your personality, and everyone is a unique snowflake . I find dealing with people who are positive and friendly to be a much more joyful experience. As I made a point earlier, east coasters just strike me as largely unfriendly, having spent 6 years of my life in northern Virginia. I'm originally from Seattle, so it's likely just my perspective and how I grew up. Cheers
Oh my god, this is hilarious to read seeing as I'm also from NoVA! Lol, I don't know if I would say people are "friendly" here (friendly to me means going up to try and befriend someone) but they are certainly nice. If you engage someone you can expect them to nicely respond back. I don't know, though. Sometimes I just crave more authenticity in my life; it's so hard to meet people here.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,946,544 times
People really don't believe in gingerale here. Sure, they have Canada Dry in stores, but it's not always easy to find a less chemical/unhealthy gingerale. I go to Smith's and I see cucumber soda and all sorts of nonsense, but they don't bother to consistently carry quality gingerale. I can certainly find it if I go out of my way (Talin has some great gingerales), but back in the old country (the east coast) I could find it at almost any store. Also, it was more likely to be offered in restaurants than it is here.

Could be worse. When I was in Pueblo, CO, I asked for it at a Chinese restaurant and they didn't know what it was. I think I had the same experience in Taos.

So, no, they really don't believe in gingerale out here. I think more people here associate ginger with its medicinal properties. Ginger flavored baked goods aren't too popular either. If I bring gingerbread cookies to work, it takes a while for them to get eaten. Not true of most other cookies.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,516,587 times
The only things that ever bothered me was the wind and the goat heads.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 AM

383 posts, read 637,150 times
Goat heads? Please explain?

Old 03-04-2017, 04:52 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,516,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Goat heads? Please explain?
Little thorns that stick to you bicycle's tire and flatten it. They'll even penetrate a Kevlar belt too. I remember back in the day the wind blew a man off the roof of a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque