Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,017 times

Advertisements

he's looking for a room to rent short term while he looks for something more permanent. the journal has a grand total of 4 rooms listed for rent. craigslist has dozens if not hundreds. he'll probably have better luck there.

also, i seriously doubt anyone is breaking into vacant homes and then listing rooms for rent. it would be fairly obvious that no one lives there when there's no furniture and no utilities. someone may have tried to rent an entire house that way. but it doesn't sound like that's what he's looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 PM

974 posts, read 2,343,939 times
Ah, you're right - I was thinking house, not room. An occupational hazard!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
How does being a "midwest liberal" fit into your desire to commute into ABQ? I would think you would place a premium on reduced automobile use and all the ills that are associated with it.
just because you identify yourself as a liberal, doesn't mean you have to buy into the entire platform and let others tell you what to think on any given issue.

people who consider themselves to be liberal tend to be freethinkers actually. and are much more likely to differ on a specific issue than their conservative counterparts.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM

210 posts, read 408,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
he's looking for a room to rent short term while he looks for something more permanent. the journal has a grand total of 4 rooms listed for rent. craigslist has dozens if not hundreds. he'll probably have better luck there.

also, i seriously doubt anyone is breaking into vacant homes and then listing rooms for rent. it would be fairly obvious that no one lives there when there's no furniture and no utilities. someone may have tried to rent an entire house that way. but it doesn't sound like that's what he's looking for.
She lol, not he.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
Just make sure you run a background check on EVERYONE living in the house. You have to pay for the good checks but they are well worth it, so is checking with the local police about calls to or around the house.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
I agree with Bongo - you really need to come for a visit before you decide.
I think you will find Placitas houses a bit more expensive to buy or rent. I used to live there. It's a good small community - but real estate is higher than in Alb or other surrounding towns.
As great a town as it is, the commute to/from Santa Fe may wear on you after a while.
Check out Tijeras, Cedar Crest and Edgewood in the east mountains - only about 15 minutes into Abq and lower priced housing.
So I guess all our friends who bought into Placitas in the '70's are now sitting on a great real estate investment there!!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 AM

210 posts, read 408,258 times
Default what about parttime positions

When I have looked at housing costs and saving enough for a down payment, I realized I will need to get a second parttime position. What is the job market like for professionals for evening/weekend jobs? Is there a chance of making over minimum wage for a parttime position?
Thanks,

Old 03-03-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
So I guess all our friends who bought into Placitas in the '70's are now sitting on a great real estate investment there!!
That was certainly true when I sold my house there in 2003, but I don't know what's happened to real estate values in Placitas since then.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
When I have looked at housing costs and saving enough for a down payment, I realized I will need to get a second parttime position. What is the job market like for professionals for evening/weekend jobs? Is there a chance of making over minimum wage for a parttime position?
Thanks,
Tough to answer without knowing the profession. If you're in health care, you'll have no trouble finding part-time jobs at good pay. Generally speaking I'd imagine that part-time professionals would be in demand - they allow businesses to ramp up slowly as the economy improves, and they often don't include benefits. The minimum wage in Santa Fe (which passed a living wage ordinance a few years ago) is close to $10.00 per hour. I don't know what it is in Albuquerque.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
Thanks,
What profession are you in & what area is the job offer?

There are city enclaves within Albuquerque that might serve your needs for more liberal areas with non-profit opportunities, and reasonable rents, such as perhaps the university area.

There are certainly reasonable rents to be had in Albuquerque. Once settled there with your family, you could explore other options outside of town.

You could also combine your need for a second part-time position with a non-profit, such as work as a weekend or evening counselor at a group home.

If folks on here knew more about your profession and the area of your job offer they could give you suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque