Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco505 View Post
I think it's interesting when people discuss ABQ weather more rosier than it actually is. It reminds me of how some people talk about San Diego without ever mentioning how many days of fog there are.
I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

I guess my counter to that perspective is then where in the lower-48 United States would one find significantly better year-round weather than ABQ?

I mean, for my tastes, I probably prefer El Paso / Las Cruces' climate just a tick more than ABQ because I like the stronger element of winter warmth and don't particularly mind hotter summer days, however, that region also experiences the much-talked-of winds.

Most of the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic (ex: Atlanta, Memphis, Birmingham, etc.) experiences oppressive summer humidity levels, intense spring and summer storms with all sorts of potential for wind damage, up-and-through tornadoes.

Areas like San Antonio deep in the south of Texas get wickedly hot. The Gulf Coast region (eg: Houston / New Orleans) has absolutely oppressive humidity levels for much of the year, plus the ever-present hurricane potential.

Denver and Salt Lake City get lots of snow and periods of deep cold.

The Pacific Northwest experiences endless days of gray, clouds, and drizzle (and cool temps).

Here in the Upper Midwest? Please. The Northeastern US isn't significantly better than the Upper Midwest.

The plains states experience greater wind than anything ABQ experiences (statistically, Amarillo TX is one of the windiest cities in America) along with harsh temperature extremes, ice storms, extremely severe and dangerous spring storms, etc.

The Sonoran Desert towns (Phoenix and Tucson among others) as well as ol' Las Vegas NV get much of those spring storms and yet also enjoy lengthy, very oppressive summer heat as well.

I guess what I am saying is that sure, ABQ deals with some occasional spring time wind, can occasionally get chilly for bouts in the winter and can toast a bit in the summer. Throw in some occasional flooding during monsoon seasons.

However, when you stack it all up, its just extremely hard to find a significantly more overall year-round climate anywhere in the lower-48 of the US. Some might argue for the lower regions of portions of Southern and Mid- California, and those arguments might have a bit of validity, although only partially in my opinion (and the price tag in living in those areas is steep); others might argue for portions of coastal Florida (not minding the strong humidity levels, harsh spring / summer storms, hurricane potential).

But overall, outside of say, more tropical locales such as in Hawaii, I wouldn't say that there are tremendously many more areas in the US' lower 48 that even come terribly close in terms of year-round pleasantness to the climate and livability.

But it really depends on lifestyle desires. Sure, if one desires gardening, many things are easier to grow in say, Orlando FL than in the high desert. But for people who like to run, bike, or just be outside to take walks, or play with their kids, ABQ's weather year-round is really hard to beat.

Me? I have always found ABQ's spring time winds to be one of the most overrated "downsides" of living in ABQ. I spent much time outside in ABQ - more than most I would argue - as I was an avid runner there, along with other outdoor activities. Sure, a few days got windy. But on average, here in the Milwaukee WI area, spring time winds are actually greater in average strength and frequency than they are in Albuquerque. You just tend to notice it more in ABQ because a) its dry, so dust kicks up far easier, and b) its generally warm or warmish, so you tend to be out and about in it rather than huddled in a parka running from your car into a heated house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:40 PM

141 posts, read 466,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
The one thing I hate about living here. Rain and snow are always hit or miss, but the wind you can always rely on. It never fails. What's worse is when there are wild fires burning and all the smoke from those fires ends up in the city. Windy season go away.
I agree James! They are always wrong when they predict rain or snow here (everyone around the town gets the rain and snow, even the guys south of us), but they are NEVER wrong when they predict wind.

It seems like it has been windy (20-30 mph) non-stop lately and I don't know about anyone else, but it's driving me nuts.

I thought last year was not nearly as bad either because I would usually go running in the afternoons and don't remember it being this windy all the time.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:03 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
The recent winds did a number on my newly-planted goldenrods this week. Went to the growers' market today to buy replacements, but the flower vendor told me to hold off 'til the winds die down for the summer. The carrot guy told me he had to re-seed his crop because of the winds.

The winds don't bother me except for when I take a bath and the bottom of the tub feels like sandpaper. Gotta keep those windows closed.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Today's wind was predicted yesterday in the news/weather...

Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 PM

121 posts, read 299,364 times
To be honest, the wind in abq is not that bad, it sounds worse on this forum than it really is.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Sunday, May 29, 2011 — Current Conditions:
Wind Speed 31 mph
Max Gust Speed 48 mph
Max Temperature 90 °F

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...ame=New+Mexico

Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM

112 posts, read 207,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
I agree James! They are always wrong when they predict rain or snow here (everyone around the town gets the rain and snow, even the guys south of us), but they are NEVER wrong when they predict wind.

It seems like it has been windy (20-30 mph) non-stop lately and I don't know about anyone else, but it's driving me nuts.

I thought last year was not nearly as bad either because I would usually go running in the afternoons and don't remember it being this windy all the time.
I know what you mean. I just cringe when I'm watching the news and the five day forcast comes on, windy every freaking day. This year has been particularly bad, given that it hasn't rained in half a year. They say the monsoon is going to be strong this year, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they get this forcast right.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesABQ View Post
I know what you mean. I just cringe when I'm watching the news and the five day forcast comes on, windy every freaking day. This year has been particularly bad, given that it hasn't rained in half a year. They say the monsoon is going to be strong this year, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope they get this forcast right.
Where did you read the monsoon was going to be particularly bad? Everything I've read points to a drier than normal summer.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 PM

372 posts, read 711,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Where did you read the monsoon was going to be particularly bad? Everything I've read points to a drier than normal summer.
Actually, the prediction is for equal chances between below normal and above normal precip, as found on this page...NWS ABQ - Drought Information

Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 AM

13 posts, read 20,309 times
I loved the spring winds, I'll never forget the time I planted sod in my backyard in Ventana and was warned to wait.... well I did not wait.. and for that I payed and suffered the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque