Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support an Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Española CSA?
Yes 8 44.44%
No 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,348,840 times

Advertisements

With the 2010 Census underway, I was thinking, do you think a new Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Española Combined Statistical Area (CSA) should be defined?

Currently, the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is not part of any CSA. The Santa Fe-Española CSA consists of the Santa Fe MSA and the Española Micropolitan Statistical Area (μSA). So, after the 2010 Census, do you think the Albuquerque MSA should be added to form an Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Española CSA?

I personally wouldn't think it would be a bad idea. Such a CSA would definately have a population over 1 million. The Rail Runner has brought Albuquerque and Santa Fe closer together, so perhaps it would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,187,711 times
Is there an economic advantage to worrying about this, or is it more like "Pluto is too a planet"?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,451,665 times
Yes, let's just call it a dwarf CSA and go about our business.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Yes, let's just call it a dwarf CSA and go about our business.
Well, a CSA consists of at least two MSAs or μSAs. The Albuquerque MSA isn't linked to any other MSA or μSA, so it does not form a CSA. There are two CSAs in New Mexico: the Santa Fe-Española CSA (Santa Fe MSA and Española μSA) and the Clovis-Portales CSA (Clovis μSA and Portales μSA).

I think it could make economic sense to have an Albuquerque-Santa Fe-Española CSA, consisting of the Albuquerque MSA, Santa Fe MSA, and Española μSA.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,918,990 times
I could see perhaps just having an Albuquerque-Santa Fe CSA because places like Edgewood and other East Mountain areas are considered as part of Santa Fe's MSA. However, I don't know if I feel like Espanola and Los Alamos should be included. With that said, there are a decent number of people that make the commute to Los Alamos every single day.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I could see perhaps just having an Albuquerque-Santa Fe CSA because places like Edgewood and other East Mountain areas are considered as part of Santa Fe's MSA. However, I don't know if I feel like Espanola and Los Alamos should be included. With that said, there are a decent number of people that make the commute to Los Alamos every single day.
Interestingly, prior to 2000, Los Alamos County was part of the Santa Fe MSA. Now it is its own μSA, which isn't even included in the Santa Fe-Española CSA.

Also, Torrance County was added to the Albuquerque MSA in 2000, now consisting of four counties (Bernalillo, Sandoval, Valencia, and Torrance).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque