Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:54 AM

8 posts, read 24,018 times

Advertisements

Hi friends-

so, here's the deal: i'm about to finish up a master's program in education here in Philly, and what with my impending graduation, have begun seriously considering where to relocate to. a classmate of mine recommended Albuquerque (he has visited previously), and i gotta say, from what brief research i've conducted thus far, i like what i see. couple things tho, that i'm hoping you can help me with.

i've heard some say that Albuquerque is a better city to retire to rather than for a single, young-ish dude to relocate to. i realize Albuquerque is no NYC, but this statement still concerns me to an extent of neighborhood liveliness and such. for example, i love a good, vibrant neighborhood with plenty of pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc.

which leads me to my next question: i'd like to live in or around downtown if possible, and would like to live in a new-ish building if possible (or, a recently renovated older building). some neighborhoods that i've taken note of: Nob Hill, University Heights, Old City. Rio Ranchio has been tossed out there as well, but from what i'm looking at on googlemaps, Rio Rancho doesn't fit the bill in terms of proximity to downtown. can you provide me with some additional insight into these neighborhoods, or gimme more suggestions?

i think that's it for now. to put some things in perspective, it's basically come down to Albuquerque and Denver.

cheers and beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johaun View Post
Hi friends-i've heard some say that Albuquerque is a better city to retire to rather than for a single, young-ish dude to relocate to. i realize Albuquerque is no NYC, but this statement still concerns me to an extent of neighborhood liveliness and such. for example, i love a good, vibrant neighborhood with plenty of pubs, cafes, restaurants, etc.
I grew up in Miami. I wanted to move the the Albuquerque area for about 30 years, having worked here briefly over the years. I have been to NYC (actually born there). There is a greater selection of jobs in Miami, NYC and many of the larger cities.

I have met a lot of people who have moved out here due to landing a good paying job (Including my wife)

Rio Rancho is a separate city, in a different county. It started as a retirement comunity in the 60's and grew. I have lived there for 11 years. Two out of 8 families on my street are retired families.

You might want to focus on the Nob Hill area.

You really need to come out and visit and I would also suggest parts of CO, AZ and TX...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Fix spelling.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,221,674 times
Quote:
Rio Rancho doesn't fit the bill in terms of proximity to downtown.
You're correct, it doesn't.

For the record... living in the Heights doesn't really afford it either...

Last edited by rybert; 01-28-2010 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Olive Branch

Old 01-28-2010, 09:26 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
You're correct, it doesn't.
He's right. If you want to mix and reside with a 20-something crowd, Rio Rancho
is not where you want to be. Not running it down, just sayin'.....

Old 01-29-2010, 05:49 PM

28 posts, read 80,498 times
I lived in Denver for 25 years before my job transferred me to Atlanta 7 years ago. I am moving to ABQ in a few months and can hardly wait. If your other choice is Denver - here are some observations: the roads are not kept up well (why haven't they figured it out after all these years of snow etc?) - commuting is a nightmare with little to no usable public transportation unless you live right in the heart of downtown or next to a light rail route - it is VERY expensive - and I felt the people as a whole kept to themselves and were not all that friendly. The Capital Hill, Curtis Park, and other areas around downtown seemed quite unsafe to me and I was nervous when I had to drive to those areas when on call for my job there. I have no information as to how ABQ "fits" for a single young person and will leave those comments to the esteemed seasoned experts on this forum. I agree you should schedule a visit and do as much research upfront as possible. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
If you haven't visited both cities in person, you should do so before you decide. Both are good cities, but they're night and day to each other.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:16 AM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Lightbulb Things To Do In Burque When You're Dead

Quote:
Hi friends-

i think that's it for now. to put some things in perspective, it's basically come down to Albuquerque and Denver.

If I were you, I'd choose Denver.

Reason being is, among other things, the pay there is better for people in your field. A friend of mine has his Masters in education and is a teacher out here in Burque. His salary? Try $13.00 an hour. No, you did not misread that. $13.00. Masters degree. Riiight.

There are plenty of suburbs in the Denver metro area where housing is affordable. And I am sure the pay is higher than it is out here. You also have more of a nightlife and things to do out there than here.

They call this place The Land of Entrapment for a reason... you can make enough money to squeak by, but you cannot make enough money to leave. The unemployment rate is lower out her (but rising), but you have much more opportunity in CO than you would in NM.

People out there actually appreciate the fact you have a Masters degree. Out here, it's kinda strange, but a lot of people actually frown upon that. I don't know why they do that, but it's true. I am not trying to dogpile on NM, as I was born, raised, and spent most of my life here. But I am a person that shoots straight from the hip with no sugar attached. And in my honest opinion, you would fare better in the Denver metro area.

However, you really need to visit both places to make the best decision for yourself and your own benefit. There are a lot of people on this board that come here and absolutely fall in love with it, as Burque is a perfect fit for them. I am not one of those people. I am the guy who has a great job which is one of the very few reasons why I stay here - the other main reason is because I am also en route to my Masters degree and my family is rooted here.

As for neighborhoods... Nob Hill, EDo, and Downtown are your best bets for a person of your age. That's where all the 'action' is. But I have to say, if you are also looking for a good night life, Burque is at or about the bottom of the list. I thank God that I am no longer of that age where I have to be on the scene. A good restaurant and neighborhood bar is all I need at my age.

So look at both Denver and here and make the right decision. Remember that you are young and can change scenery if you do not like the place you are living, which is much more easy to do at your age than it will be 10 years from now.

Good luck and Godspeed.

--BtK

Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,939,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Reason being is, among other things, the pay there is better for people in your field. A friend of mine has his Masters in education and is a teacher out here in Burque. His salary? Try $13.00 an hour. No, you did not misread that. $13.00. Masters degree. Riiight.
That's pretty bad. Thanks you, I think you just made me at least momentarily more appreciative of the job I eventually landed here in Albuquerque.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:26 AM

238 posts, read 635,081 times
Exclamation Where There's a Masters There's a Wage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post

That's pretty bad. Thanks you, I think you just made me at least momentarily more appreciative of the job I eventually landed here in Albuquerque.

Don't get me wrong, there are high-paying jobs in NM and Burque. But there are not as many positions as would be in other metro areas. My friend is an RN here in Burque with a Bachelor's in Nursing and makes $40.00 and hour. That is a great field to get into and there will always be a need for medical professionals.

But in the OP's case, getting a Masters degree in teaching to only make a measly $13.00 an hour is kinda a slap in the face. The OP could make more waiting tables at a fancy restaurant without the degree.

--BtK

Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,752,127 times
The OP is talking about TEACHING jobs.

There aren't any teaching jobs anywhere along the front range in Colorado from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins. The only school district in Colorado to do major hiring this year was Colorado Springs and they have 100+ applicants for every position. Too many young teachers move to Colorado from for the lifestyle. There is just a huge surplus of teachers. Move to Denver with a MA in Education and you will be waiting tables.

Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Houston are probably better bets if you want to move west and find employment in education. But even they are not certain unless you intend to teach HS science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque