Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 05:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times

Advertisements

Let's begin with my homemade margarita recipe:

1. Salt rim or martini glass and stick it in the freezer.
2. Combine in a suitable vessel:
  • shot of fresh lime juice,
  • shot of Gran Gala, triple sec or similar liqueur (IMO Gran Gala provides an excellent balance of sweetness, orange, depth and cost effectiveness)
  • 2-3 shots of tequila (this makes a big difference, duh, but name your favorite)
3. Pour into shaker, shake well, pour into frozen glass
4. Enjoy, repeat as necessary

So, last week I did a kind of margarita tour in a distant city - just ordering margaritas any chance I got, and that was a lot. The norm was the same booze but typically with "our own margarita mix."

So here's my question: What on earth is the point of "margarita mix"? If they're using the booze that they always brag about on the bar menu, then all that's needed is lime juice. Same thing applies to whiskey sours. All you need is lemon juice and simple syrup or even just bar sugar. The result will be far, far better than any "sour mix." My suspicion is that they just put tequila into the mix and that's it. Help me out with this.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 08-13-2015 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: CD censored spelling of j i g g e r, I guess it's not PC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
For use in the home: An appeal to laziness.

For use at bars: An appeal to places who need to sling cheap drinks at maximum speed.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
We have a Mexican restaurant that offers 'skinny' margarita. Fresh squeezed (they squeeze to order), agave, tequila.
They often apologize that happy hour does not apply to 'skinny'. We say, no problemo, we pay for the better quality. Mix usually tastes terrible.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:43 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
For use in the home: An appeal to laziness.

For use at bars: An appeal to places who need to sling cheap drinks at maximum speed.
You pretty much nailed it.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:48 PM

No doubt you folks are right. But what a joke. All they'd have to do is pay somebody to squeeze a bunch of limes. With a decent juicer you could do a couple gallons in 30 minutes. Of course that would be more expensive than just using mix - and then they can skip the triple sec too (despite the claims that it's there), cause the mix is always so oversweet anyhow.

Being too lazy to squeeze a few limes at home is outside the scope of my imagination. I'm going to squeeze some right now and begin the evening.....

Old 08-14-2015, 06:05 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
No doubt you folks are right. But what a joke. All they'd have to do is pay somebody to squeeze a bunch of limes. With a decent juicer you could do a couple gallons in 30 minutes. Of course that would be more expensive than just using mix - and then they can skip the triple sec too (despite the claims that it's there), cause the mix is always so oversweet anyhow.

Being too lazy to squeeze a few limes at home is outside the scope of my imagination. I'm going to squeeze some right now and begin the evening.....
Ah....not everyone has the same priorities....and I can't imagine a dive bar paying someone to squeeze limes for the few times a week someone may order a margarita.

Have you ever worked in a bar? How about you make your drinks the way you like them....and leave other people to make drinks they way they want? No joke.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default "Margarita mix" - what's the point?

Nearly all Margarita mixes are horrid concoctions loaded with that poisonous high fructose corn syrup.

An exception is Sauza - not always easy to find, though.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Ah....not everyone has the same priorities....and I can't imagine a dive bar paying someone to squeeze limes for the few times a week someone may order a margarita.

Have you ever worked in a bar? How about you make your drinks the way you like them....and leave other people to make drinks they way they want? No joke.
The joke, my friend, is your post. What a spectacularly uninformative response.

Who complained about what they pour in dive bars? Of course they'd use mix. They're dives. I'm talking about real restaurants where they perform such exotic feats as dicing fresh cilantro. And what difference does working in a bar make anyway? You're saying that we should expect crap cause it's actually takes some sense of standards and a modicum of human effort to do better? Anyway, there are good and bad bars. The place down the street does their margaritas pretty much as I do at home, cause it's not a dive. Your experience seems to have been in the dives from the sound of it.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Camping

Take a water cooler like you see construction crews using. Poor 3 liters of margarita mix, handle of tequila and 500ml of tipple sec. Poor in ice and a bit of salt. Mix.

Margaritas on tap all afternoon.

When drinking quality tequila I'll just drink it up and warm, easier to appreciate the subtleties this way.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Who complained about what they pour in dive bars? Of course they'd use mix. They're dives.
Uh ... you did.

Get over yourself. If you don't like the way an establishment prepares margaritas, don't buy them there. A second grader could figure that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages