Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Open your own bar and charge what you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 02:54 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Since I live in Iceland where all alcohol (except for in bars and other such places) is sold in state-stores and the alcohol tax is insane (up to 90% of the price of vodka is just tax) perhaps it's a bit hard to compare Icelandic and American prices. But I could try I guess.

At my local bar, a pint of beer (generic macro-lager) costs roughly 7 bucks (900kr). A shot (I think it's 25-30ml, don't know the exact size) of Jack Daniels 12$ (though I think you get somewhat better value for money if you order a double. Can't 100% confirm that though I am pretty sure). A shot of vodka costs about 9.20$. Since I don't ever buy expensive whiskey at the bar I don't remember exactly what the more expensive types cost but they cost a lot.

The price of the beer I am willing to live with. I find it harder to accept the pricing of the shots and the hard alcohol (though to be fair, it's not really the bar's fault because of the insane alcohol tax), but I can live with it if I just buy a few and not too much. In a perfect world (won't happen, but it would be nice if it did) I would find the fallowing prices to be good value for money:

Beer: 4.62$
Shot of hard alcohol (let's assume it's 25ml) like vodka, rum, gin, Jack daniels etc: 5$
Shot of mid-shelf stuff (let's assume it's JW black): 7.50$
Shot of top-shelf stuff (let's assume it's Talisker): 11$

Is this realistic? Probably not, but this is as much as I would be willing to pay at a bar for alcohol before it basically starts to be bad value for money.
That isn't realistic for most of the small towns in America much less a high cost of living area like Iceland and a US metro area! Add to that that you live where most of those brands need to be imported.

The only one you got near right is the beer...and even that can vary widely.

When you go to a bar you are not just buy alchol. ..there is the overhead of the building, utilities, staffing, taxes, glassware, mixers....you name it.

In exchange you get a social setting of your liking, comradery, a wider options of what you can order than most homes stock,....if you don't think it's fair...than stay home.

Bars are not run as charity....they are to make money for the owner.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:08 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have you priced a good martini at a decent bar? All drinks are over priced, including wine. So your choices are: 1, do not go to bars to drink, stay at home; it is safer anyway or 2-pay the price.
Or 3: Don't drink at all. That solves even more problems in the long run.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Then why post on a forum that is set up for adult beverages? I am sure there is a sobriety forum somewhere....go preach there.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:

Don't have any fun at all. Then there are zero problems! Don't eat, don't drink, don't ever play!

Old 08-24-2015, 11:01 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Nope, I think cocktails are overpriced for the most part, but not whiskey. With the overhead of a bar, it's just something you expect. Now, I think in general there are a lot of whiskeys that are overpriced (like Pappy and Whistlepig) but that's another story....

Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 PM

19 posts, read 9,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Don't have any fun at all. Then there are zero problems! Don't eat, don't drink, don't ever play!
Agreed.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times
I don't mind spending a little more on good Bourbons. It's cheaper than buying a bottle. It also leads me to great Bourbons to stock my liquor cabinet. I just bought a few bottles of E H Taylor Small Batch because of a taste at a Bourbon Bar

But, to answer OP's question, mark-ups on Bourbon (all alcohol) have always been high. It is always cheaper to buy a bottle

Old 09-02-2015, 11:38 PM

769 posts, read 1,014,157 times
Johhny Walker Blue is $35 a shot at most spots in NYC. I see many young chinese and south korean's spending their trust funds on it too.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
yes, that does solve the problem, but that isn't really what this is all about. It is about the cost of alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages