Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,669 times

Advertisements

Whiskey (any kind) is often portrayed as the manliest alcohol of all in the popular media. But how many men actually drink it and legit enjoy it? And I mean from a glass and not simply with a single gulp straight from a shot glass? I know this probably varies on the culture with some cultures drinking more of certain kinds of alcohol, but where I live almost nobody actually drinks whiskey, but rather just beer and flavored shots (ugh).

How many men drink and enjoy whiskey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Why's it only men?

I'm a female & I like whiskey....
I prefer whiskey over wine

Only way I drink whiskey is straight up.
I cannot stand it mixed w/ Coke or anything else.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,036,493 times
There is a huge market for whiskey. Of course people drink it.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Why's it only men?

I'm a female & I like whiskey....
I prefer whiskey over wine

Only way I drink whiskey is straight up.
I cannot stand it mixed w/ Coke or anything else.

Most women don't seem to like it much, but kudos to you if you do.

And agreed with the mixing part I once mixed some Jim white with coke and it tasted horrible. Though then again Jim white is pretty ****e to begin with and the coke was a couple of weeks past it's expiration date. Don't think it would have made much difference had I used something else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
There is a huge market for whiskey. Of course people drink it.
What are we counting as "whiskey" here? Do fireball shots count?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,751 times
I used to drink rye straight.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:13 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Whiskey (any kind) is often portrayed as the manliest alcohol of all in the popular media. But how many men actually drink it and legit enjoy it? And I mean from a glass and not simply with a single gulp straight from a shot glass? I know this probably varies on the culture with some cultures drinking more of certain kinds of alcohol, but where I live almost nobody actually drinks whiskey, but rather just beer and flavored shots (ugh).

How many men drink and enjoy whiskey?
I enjoy a glass of good whiskey. However, it has always been my philosophy that should you have to mix soda with your whiskey to make it palatable, it isn't worth drinking in the first place. However, a drop or two of cold water really helps to bring out the flavour profile in some of the stronger scotches.

Some of my favourites:

Crown Royal
Wisers Deluxe
40 Creek
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve
Bowmore 12 Year
Laphroaig Quarter Cask

I also very much enjoyed the Gooderham and Worts Four Grain that won The Whiskey Bible's "Whiskey of the Year" in 2015.

Any of these are excellent following a steak or roast beef dinner and accompanied with a fine Cuban cigar.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Manly? My MIL has the best whisky selection I've ever experienced.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
The trend in most craft cocktail bars is definitely "brown"-based drinks (i.e, various whiskeys). Thankfully, the flavored vodka "martini" thing of the 90s didn't stick.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I would say that whisky is actually the only spirit I genuinely enjoy. I'll drink tequilain a Margarita, but generally, most liquor is not my pick. I do love a good Scotch, and wine and beer.

Bourbon, for the most part isn't my thing, nor are most blended whiskies.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,570 times
I have been killing some whiskey the past few weeks. Don't ask why, but everything from Knob Creek to Jameson, to Jack Daniels and some in-between. Lot less calories than a bunch of beers, to achieve the same desired effect, which is to forget that I have a teen driver in my house, i'm working on 12 years without a pay increase, and I started smoking at age 40. This year.

Good times! Which I believe may be another good drink....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages