Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:03 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Sure, but 90% of people who put water into their whiskey aren't doing this. Take my aunt for example. Last month it was my birthday and I brought a Highland park 12 with me. She would poor a good bunch into a glass and then poor large amounts of water into it (the water to scotch ratio was like 40/60!). Yes, I'm sure that some small ultra snooby minority puts a very carefully decided amount of water into their whiskey. But 99% of whiskey drinkers who do this are only doing so to make the act of getting pissed quickly more easy.
Ugh, fair enough. Doubly-bad: a ton of water (what a waste of a good whisky) AND its been added to a peaty Scotch. I'll bet her whisky-water tasted like cheap steak (whisky in that style get this weird, meat taste when you add water. Gross!). This is less an example of your conspiracy theory and more an example of someone misusing a product altogether, but I definitely take your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Sure, but 90% of people who put water into their whiskey aren't doing this. Take my aunt for example. Last month it was my birthday and I brought a Highland park 12 with me. She would poor a good bunch into a glass and then poor large amounts of water into it (the water to scotch ratio was like 40/60!). Yes, I'm sure that some small ultra snooby minority puts a very carefully decided amount of water into their whiskey. But 99% of whiskey drinkers who do this are only doing so to make the act of getting pissed quickly more easy.
Honestly, how do you really believe know this? You're 25 and live in a country that is not exactly a popular whisk(e)y market. Your aunt's example is a silly outlier.

Last edited by elhelmete; 04-07-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
All of the aunt stuff aside, nice call on the HP 12.

That is, IMO, a great value Scotch. I keep a bottle in my cabinet at all times.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,080,558 times
Have been into the "brown" for about a year, and I now prefer it over beer. Have moved to sometimes drinking it on ice, and I enjoy Larceny, Dickle 12 and Gentleman Jack at the moment. Single barrels (Knob Creek & Woodford Reserve for example) are very good, and to mix those is like putting ketchup on a filet mignon. Find whiskey/whisky or bourbon to be the way to go for me now a days, much less bloating and very much more flavorful........and can get yah that feeling quicker, if that is what one is looking for.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:44 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,522 times
Just started drinking whiskey. I have a bottle of evan williams.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
Just started drinking whiskey. I have a bottle of evan williams.
Recently bought a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. I think I am pretty much done with American whiskey at this point. No offense but most if it just isn't very good. I think Gentlemen Jack is fairly solid and the Single barrel version is also ok. But all the other ones I have tasted (Maker's mark, Jim beam white and black, and now Bulleit) are just medicore or even bad. It appears that American whiskey is not much different from American beer. That is, not very good. I will stick to my scotch I think

Old 04-27-2016, 11:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Recently bought a bottle of Bulleit bourbon. I think I am pretty much done with American whiskey at this point. No offense but most if it just isn't very good. I think Gentlemen Jack is fairly solid and the Single barrel version is also ok. But all the other ones I have tasted (Maker's mark, Jim beam white and black, and now Bulleit) are just medicore or even bad. It appears that American whiskey is not much different from American beer. That is, not very good. I will stick to my scotch I think
You're doing it wrong. Outside of Belgium its really home to many of the best breweries in the world.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I prefer Scotch whisky to bourbon, myself. I like the peating process to produce a smoky character more than the charred barrel use, I like the greater variety of barrels used in the aging process with Scotch and the different characters that imparts, I like the tremendous variety of types despite the small geographic area. The difference in climate between Kentucky and Scotland plays a role, too, I'm sure, even if it's subtle.

It's not an indictment of one as being inferior, it's just a preference thing. It's not like one's objectively better, they're just different.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quite a few. I've met more than one who just doesn't like beer, I've heard it said that "it all just tastes like water." Some guys really like their whiskey, bourbon, etc., and collect it.

I find it way too much of a scorching experience to enjoy the flavour. Acquired taste, perhaps. Incidentally I'd never put water or ice in it, so if I do drink it, straight only (and very likely just a shot will be fine, thanks).

Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages