Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:28 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,792 times

Advertisements

Men or real men?
I actually drink it neat all the time. But to each their own. Drink it how you enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,677 times
Another lady whiskey drinker here. Drunk on its own, no water no ice only warmed by the heat of my hands wrapped around my glass.

Favourite tipples are Laphroig, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, in fact any of the Islay single malts. I will occasionally drink Grouse or Dewars if I'm in the hot tub.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,927,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I enjoy a glass of good whiskey. However, it has always been my philosophy that should you have to mix soda with your whiskey to make it palatable, it isn't worth drinking in the first place. However, a drop or two of cold water really helps to bring out the flavour profile in some of the stronger scotches.

Some of my favourites:

Crown Royal
Wisers Deluxe
40 Creek
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve
Bowmore 12 Year
Laphroaig Quarter Cask

I also very much enjoyed the Gooderham and Worts Four Grain that won The Whiskey Bible's "Whiskey of the Year" in 2015.

Any of these are excellent following a steak or roast beef dinner and accompanied with a fine Cuban cigar.
I will drink it straight, on the rocks or mixed with soda. Usually I drink bourbon, Canadian or Seagrams, so might not meet your definition of good whiskey, but I just have not been able to acquire the taste for Scotch.

I have read elsewhere what you wrote, that a few drops of water brings out the flavor, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I mean, Scotch is already 50-60% water, so what difference will a couple of drops make?

Old 03-24-2016, 11:54 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I have read elsewhere what you wrote, that a few drops of water brings out the flavor, which makes absolutely no sense to me. I mean, Scotch is already 50-60% water, so what difference will a couple of drops make?
It probably makes sense if you are drinking the more stronger whiskies that are like 50%+ABV. But for your typical 40% whiskey I agree that it does indeed not make sense.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:17 PM

314 posts, read 237,100 times
Another lady that drinks whickey, currently we have Johnny Walker Blue, Platinum and Black label. We usually drink it neat or put 1 ice cube in.

Last edited by mxxm98; 03-24-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Whiskey (any kind) is often portrayed as the manliest alcohol of all in the popular media. But how many men actually drink it and legit enjoy it? And I mean from a glass and not simply with a single gulp straight from a shot glass? I know this probably varies on the culture with some cultures drinking more of certain kinds of alcohol, but where I live almost nobody actually drinks whiskey, but rather just beer and flavored shots (ugh).

How many men drink and enjoy whiskey?
East Indians buy the most whiskey followed by America.

It's bad for your liver and can land you in jail from fighting, crimes, or DUI. It's also addictive so I stay away from it. I think it tastes horrible and only tried it to understand why people drink it. The drunk feeling wasn't really all that great and boy I would get headaches the next day.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
East Indians buy the most whiskey followed by America.

It's bad for your liver and can land you in jail from fighting, crimes, or DUI. It's also addictive so I stay away from it. I think it tastes horrible and only tried it to understand why people drink it. The drunk feeling wasn't really all that great and boy I would get headaches the next day.
It sounds like you have a problem with both self control and taking responsibility for your actions... Some of us enjoy one of the most complex and intriguing drinks available without fights and other such criminal activity, but then again, I don't blame my actions on beer, wine, or any other beverage either...

Old 03-25-2016, 05:14 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,322,042 times
Funny, I stopped drinking whisky, Scotch, Bourbon just before it became trendy, which I find hilarious when I think about how cheap it was to drink what now goes for exorbitant prices.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Funny, I stopped drinking whisky, Scotch, Bourbon just before it became trendy, which I find hilarious when I think about how cheap it was to drink what now goes for exorbitant prices.
Scotch and bourbon are both whisk(e)y (for others sake, not saying you aren't saying this), "...before it became trendy..." It's gone through many ups and downs actually... but assuming you mean the most recent extreme high, why did you stop out of curiosity? I know what you mean though, I remember when things like Pappy Van Winkle (since this is a US based site) just sat on the shelves, now it goes for 10x retail sometimes... My dwindling stock makes me said... Whisky is for drinking, not speculation...

Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,844 times
I hate sounding snobby but I have a conspiracy theory regarding the whole "water improves the flavor" meme...I think it's just something that people say because they can't enjoy the whiskey otherwise without burning themselves lol. They CAN'T HANDLE the REAL way to drink it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages