Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:36 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times

Advertisements

my favorite drink is scotch strait up. good scotch has that strong vanilla-like after taste. 18 yo James Buchanans, 12 & 18 yo Glen Livett are some of the ones i like. i think i like the 12 yo Glen Livett better than the 18 yo. the 15 yo Glen Livet was a big disapointment. anyway, ive been thinking of buying myself a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label, which is really expensive. anyone had it? does it have that taste that i like?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Not a scotch drinker myself but my dad was and one of my sisters enjoys it too. Glen Livett was one of his favorites too. He also drank Glen Fidich. All aged, of course. He's gone now but I might ask my sister about the Johnny Walker if you don't get responses here. I'm thinking daddy drank scotch from Scotland almost exlusively - that's where he acquired the taste for it in the first place.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:48 AM

914 posts, read 4,445,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Not a scotch drinker myself but my dad was and one of my sisters enjoys it too. Glen Livett was one of his favorites too. He also drank Glen Fidich.
My dad has the exact same tastes as your dad did. My dad really isn't a big drinker- I think scotch is the only thing he drinks at all now. A neighbor got him into it. Perhaps scotch is a "guy thing"?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Everybody will have their preferences and favorites when it comes to this stuff.

I know several people who are snobs about some expensive brand, some who will love anything from GlenFusel to GlennFiddich .... and don't know the difference.

That's why there are so many single malts as well as blended brands on the market ... they are all uniquely different and each has it's own appeal. Some folks will absolutely hate the heavy dark stuff from one area of the country, while another area will have the "best" stuff for them that will be entirely different. To each their own ....

It's no different than people preferring a certain varietal of wine and from a certain region or particular winery.

It's all a matter of taste. Try going to a single malt tasting and discover for yourself what is out there in the world of whiskey. You may discover something else that you like, too ... no matter how fancy the bottle or the label design. You can't drink the bottle or the label, you know .... and the pricetag has little to do with what your tastebuds enjoy, so don't let that be the decision maker about this stuff for you.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:46 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Try The Glenlivet Nadurra, neat, sometime (currently my favorite, but a bit pricey).

Spent a few days in England and Scotland some years back, and every place we stopped I asked the bartender what single malt scotch he'd drink if he could have any in the place, and whatever the answer was, I tried that one. Worked well. Unfortunately, I found quite a few outstanding ones that I can't get here.

One of my good friends loves single malt scotch. So do I. I can't stand the ones she likes and she can't stand the ones I like. It is, indeed, a matter of personal taste.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,710 times
thanks TexasHorseLady. i'll look into that Glenlivet Nadurra.

but to my original question: has no one here ever tried the Johnny Walker Blue Label?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:46 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I do not like whisky, beer, wines, gin or vodka. I only drank two kinds of scotch most of my life. Chevas Regal on the rocks with a twist, and a home brew. The first I could drink all night. The second was the mildest scotch I ever smelled, and the smoothest I ever drank. I should have known better; it was too good. . It poured me on the floor after the second drink. OMG what a shock!

I always thought Chevas was a interesting blend because it did not taste like iodine, and I never had a hangover. I like the aged even better; pf course.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
but to my original question: has no one here ever tried the Johnny Walker Blue Label?
Still haven't tried it...but I watched a repeat of Curb Your Enthusiasm and it featured a bottle of blue label that caused quite a stir - I thought of you! LOL

Old 08-17-2009, 07:33 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Libson, I bought my husband a bottle of JWB for Christmas & I just asked him what it tasted like, he replied, "a little taste of heaven". He said it tastes a lot like JWB, but a lot smoother--goes great with a Cuban cigar.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
I can't stand the smell of the stuff. Gives me flashbacks as a kid of my stepfather reeking of it the day after he's drank it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages