Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

My personal favorite is German. Mattheus Mueller. I think I spelled it right. It's hard to find though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
You could try orange juice for a mimosa. It's also really good if you put a little grand marnier in there, too. You could also buy some peach juice or peach nectar and make a Bellini (technically made with prosecco and white peach puree, but I've done it with Goya peach nectar and it's been good). I also like putting things like pomegranate seeds in the champagne. Strawberries are also popular.

I'm not sure what you would mix it with besides juice, as I feel like it's either that or just plain champagne. What does he like to drink? Maybe you could make something bubbly out of other ingredients for him?
Strawberries sound good or if I can find cherry juice. He likes cherry soda

Old 12-08-2009, 12:36 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,460 times
Tattinger is my favorite mid-level champagne (never really tried anything more than that ~$40 or so). Our local Total Wine store has a bunch of Premier Cru champagne's on sale for $30-50 that I'm hoping to try for this year.

If you like sweeter, the Italian Moscato d'Asti bottles are nice and not too heavy; they're sweet and tasty, my wife has a few bottles that she buys by the case. Go to an actual wine store and ask them for their recommendations, most have tastings on the weekends and I bet you'll start getting a lot of sparkling style wines to try with the new year approaching. The workers at our local store are all great, and we have a few people that have similar tastes to us and always give us good recommendations.

Another fun mixer to make with champagne - blend strawberries and Grand Marnier in the blender, put on the bottom of the glass, then top the other half with champagne. We tried it after seeing it on food network and it was good. Also, you can add any fruit to the bottom, maybe soak the fruit in vodka first to give a nice surprise to eat at the end of your glass. Chambord is a black raspberry liquer that tastes good splashed into a glass of champagne too.

Last edited by GoHokiesGo; 12-08-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: think I got Grand Cru and Premier cru backwards, whichever is one notch below the uber expensive

Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
I like the Spanish cavas

Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 AM

268 posts, read 878,075 times
Price/value, a good choise is Veuve-Cliquot. Here in belgium, it costs slightly more than €33.00 (= $48.54 today). I don't know the price of a bottle in the US.

Keep in mind that REAL champagne comes from the Champagne-region in France.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_(wine_region)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
OMG, I haven't had champagne is a few years now! Not since New Year's 2000 (when it turned 2000) at a club in North Carolina, when I was living there. I can't remember what kind it was.

I can't tell you about them, haven't had any since.

What is a good, cheap kind? I know Dom P. is WAAAAYYYY expensive.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Moet

Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Op

There is a difference in Champagne and Sparking wines

Champagne is a "dry" (slighty sour/bitter) type of bubbly wine.
if you see "Brut" that means its even more dry...Champagne drinkers love this dry aspect.

A Sparking wine is bottled like a champagne, but is sweeter. the're very inexpensive and very expensive sparkling wines...so the flavor differs.

someone mentioned Rossi Asti Supmante...

A Supmante is an Italian sweet sparking wine...Rossi is about medium price 13$

I like and serve Cinzano asti supmante 8-11$ i think it tastes better than Rossi
I thought Champagne means that it is from the Champagne wine region in France and sparkling wine is the same thing as Champagne, but it is not produced in France?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
I thought Champagne means that it is from the Champagne wine region in France and sparkling wine is the same thing as Champagne, but it is not produced in France?
Yes this is correct, and there are sweet champagnes, just like there are dry sparkling wines.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:46 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
The Heidsieck brands are solid, almost old school. The Piper Heidsiecks come in brut, rose, etc., and range in your price. The Charles Heidsiecks are more expensive but some hover at just under $50. It's a very crisp brand. Fresh and bright, like biting into an apple (in effect, not sweetness). However, I think you can get Veuve Clicquot cheaper and that's a fine bottle. I had a Freixenet cava, a Spanish champagne, once and it was good, not off-my-seat remarkable, though I'm no huge expert. They don't have the cachet of "champagne", therefore the price is lower and a good value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages