Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

I am originally from a coastal town. (NYC suburb) The place became outrageously expensive for us, so we moved to PA. That's where the constant PND, sinus issues and hours of coughing.

We didn't find our niche in PA. We moved further west to Ohio. And I love it. However, it does not love me back. Everything is worse than ever. Winter is horrible. I am OK in the summer.

I've heard that places near the water - salt is best, but lakes can be OK - are better.

The kicker is I have not been diagnosed with an allergy. No one (went to the world famous Cleveland Clinic) can figure out what is wrong with me.

I know what foods set me off. However, the cold also does this. And Spring. And parts of Fall.

Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:28 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I was born and raised in PA and moved to So. Cal. 50 yrs ago. I was a slave to allergy drugs prior to 1995. And the sore throat queen. No more!!! I sent you a DM.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,722 times
This post looks to be a bit old, but I'll respond anyway.

I hadn't heard about living around water affecting the severity of PND, but it is interesting. I have had PND for most of my adult life, and I grew up on the east coast, house just a few blocks from the Atlantic. I moved to Ontario when I was 30, and as years have gone by it's steadily gotten worse. I'd always attributed it to the fact that it simply worsens as one ages, but that was an assumption on my part. So I don't really know if the change in climate makes a difference....although, several people I've talked to who moved here from other places claim that their sinuses, allergies, etc. have become worse.

A doctor I saw years ago told me that I have chronic, non-allergic sinusitis. Some foods will cause symptoms to flare with me, and exercise will sometimes as well, but the biggest trigger for me is the outdoor temperature. As soon as the temps outside drop to around +10 deg. C (50 deg. F) and below, that's when my symptoms kick in, when I step outside. Constantly runny nose when I'm outside, post-nasal drip, sinus headaches and often stuffiness. It was so bad this past winter that when I'd take my dog out for a walk and bend over to clean up after him when he went to the bathroom, my nose would run like an open tap. Extremely annoying and frustrating. At any rate, I'm wondering if you could possibly have this condition, OP. If your doctor has never mentioned it, it might be worth looking into, at the very least to know what is triggering your issues.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I have a friend who lives in the desert here in Calif and her allergies are horrible...she has tried to take grape seed extract and/or pynogenol but can't due to her colitis issues...

I live near the Ocean in So. Cal. and basically got rid of allergy/sinus issues with grape seed extract when I found it in 1995. Life of drugs and allergist before that year. Grape seed ex could really give you major relief...it's not a drug. I have not taken a drug for this issue in almost 21 yrs now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies